calling any ex RAF armourers

Started by guest311, October 18, 2019, 04:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailGooner

Quote from: class37025 on October 19, 2019, 08:08:30 PM

To quote an infamous* Flight Safety poster "Not me Chief, I'm Airframes!". :D

* The poster "Not me Chief, I'm Airframes!" was supposed to convey the message that there were no demarcation lines with Flight Safety, it was everyone's responsibility. But it was soon withdrawn when we Riggers** started widely quoting it as a get out.

** Riggers = Airframe Mech/Tech. From the early days of rigging airplane wings by tensioning bracing wires.

TrevL

Quote from: RailGooner on October 19, 2019, 09:12:15 PM

To quote an infamous* Flight Safety poster "Not me Chief, I'm Airframes!". :D

* The poster "Not me Chief, I'm Airframes!" was supposed to convey the message that there were no demarcation lines with Flight Safety, it was everyone's responsibility. But it was soon withdrawn when we Riggers** started widely quoting it as a get out.

** Riggers = Airframe Mech/Tech. From the early days of rigging airplane wings by tensioning bracing wires.

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:
Another rigger here, been there, done that (not quite that) said that.  :claphappy:
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

guest311

it looks as though I have three types of bomb trailers available to me ...
1. the UPKEEP bomb trailer from the Airfix Dam Busters Lancaster kit
2. type C trailer from the Airfix RAF WWII Bomber command resupply set
3. type F trailer from the Airfix RAF WWII Bomber command resupply set

the type C can be built to carry either two / three or four bombs, 500lb or 1000lb, in a mix
the type F can carry 4000 lbs or 8000 lbs bombs,
and the UPKEEP  can carry either the dam bomb, or I have rotated the carrier to hold a C-130 under wing fuel tank/ drop tank.

any comments / suggestions for 1970s / 1980s loads ?

RailGooner

Munitions I know Hunters carried: 60lb HE rockets, SNEB rocket pods, Sidewinder missiles.
:beers:

guest311

Quote from: RailGooner on October 21, 2019, 06:49:18 PM
Munitions I know Hunters carried: 60lb HE rockets, SNEB rocket pods, Sidewinder missiles.
:beers:

so the 60lb is the one depicted in the early F6 kit by airfix, SNEB 155 in the later FGA.9 kit, but I thought the Sidewinder was only Swiss, or Singapore Air Force a/c, must admit I didn't know RAF ones could use them.

I assume, Hunters could carry 500 and 1000 lbs bombs, but not on multiple carriers, only one per pylon ?

RailGooner

Yes I think one bomb per pylon - all I've ever seen, though I can't claim to have seen everything(!) - on the inboard wing hardpoint.

Couple of nice photos here of the belly Gun Pack being fitted/removed.

guest311

many thanks for that.

so bomb on inboard pylon, SNEB or small drop tank on outboard.

IIRC the original airfix f6 hunter had the gun pack and cradle as part of the kit, so could be modelled as being unloaded.

might see if I can get hold of a couple, could use the gunpacks 'on the pan', possibly airframes either elsewhere, or alongside the pack.

not sure when the 60 lb rockets went out of service, presume when the SNEBs came in.

RailGooner

I'm wondering if my sighting of Sidewinders on Hunters was in Chile(?)! :uneasy:

guest311

guest311

another question for ex-RAF plumbers  :)

bidding on an Airfix 1:72 Valiant bomber kit, checked the instructions on line, and it can either have a Blue Danube bomb, or three bomb racks, each with five bombs on it [3 + 2]

so the question, cause I cannot remember, would the racks be loaded, then winched up into the aircraft, or were the racks fitted first, then the bombs loaded ?

thinking of a dispersal base, with bomb load being loaded, so what would be on the bomb trolleys ?

any info appreciated.

guest311

didn't get any responses, but have found a photo of 1,000 lb bombs on a bomb trolley already on a bomb carrier, so that would appear to answer my question.

looks like 2 x 5 bomb carriers, ie 3 +2, as per the Valiant model instructions, on one trolley

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations