"Pokemon GO"? And people think trains are weird?

Started by railsquid, July 13, 2016, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

Apparently there's some kind of recently popular smartphone app called "Pokemon GO" which tells people to go to places to find things which don't exist outside of their smartphone because you can capture monsters or something? Apparently people are so intent on doing this they will wander onto railway lines to do this?

Bizarre. On the plus side I reckon it's some kind of recruitment drive for the 'B' Ark.

Ditape

It takes all sorts,they can have Pokewhatsit,I will stick to Model Railways. :thumbsup:
Diane Tape

d-a-n

Can't wait to get hold of it - I'm going to catch 'em all and combine it with walks and bike rides with the Mrs.

Terry Marrs

Kids walking around in the middle of the night here. Just down right strange.

d-a-n

People of all ages congregating in my local park playing and talking to one another, initially about this game and then just chatting - local social cohesion!

I suppose one could compare it to spotting trains or visiting a preserved railway to catch a glimpse of a loco you've never seen before - I always end up talking to strangers about the locomotives and it's always a thoroughly pleasant social experience.

Bealman

It's a total nightmare that is causing chaos in Sydney and increased assaults.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Ben Line 457

Went to the Muller Anniversary games at the Olympic Stadium with my teenage son yesterday & travelled via Thameslink & South Eastern High Speed.

Normally my 'strange' interest in what trains I've seen and travelled in is ridiculed and mocked but yesterday nothing was said because he was furtively catching Pokemon............

Chris Morris

A game based on similar principles where you click/spot/catch historic loco classes would be great
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

railsquid

Hey, I caught a Duchessmon in my local park!

Actually that sounds kind of cool - some kind of app which would overlay historical scenes/trains on current-day railway lines.

Adam1701D

It's fun and is something that truly appeals to all ages. Can't see a problem with it myself.

Now off to find a Squirtle!  :D
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Snowwolflair

The only problem I have with Pokemon is it is Male Large Chicken :) fighting for kids without the blood.  Something we outlawed in this country 150 years ago.

First you catch your Male Large Chicken :), then you train it to kill and then you go to a pit and you let them kill each other.

Unfortunately if you make it a cartoon it suddenly becomes acceptable.

Maybe next year they will release a Pit Bull upgrade pack  :D

oscar

Quote from: captainelectra on July 24, 2016, 09:10:00 PM
It's fun and is something that truly appeals to all ages. Can't see a problem with it myself.

HOW old are you? :hmmm:

Snowwolflair

Quote from: d-a-n on July 14, 2016, 04:14:56 PM
Can't wait to get hold of it - I'm going to catch 'em all and combine it with walks and bike rides with the Mrs.

Now if you can catch the 'Mrs' and put her in a little red and white ball you might be on to something.

there are people who would pay good money for that   :D

Adam1701D

Quote from: oscar on July 24, 2016, 10:30:57 PM

There's no irony whatsoever in being told to grow up on a model train forum!  :D
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

railsquid

Quote from: captainelectra on July 26, 2016, 08:54:37 AM
Quote from: oscar on July 24, 2016, 10:30:57 PM

There's no irony whatsoever in being told to grow up on a model train forum!  :D
With a small, still be-nappied toddler in the house, I have no problem finding squirtles.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations