2 Years on

Started by Tdm, October 16, 2015, 09:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

It is just over 2 years since I first decided to have a go at building an N gauge model railway here in Tenerife, and joined the NGF to assist me in my hobby.

Prior to that - being a Classic Car owner - I used to be a regular user of the Stag Owners Club Forum.

I now spend most of my time on this Forum, and very seldom use the SOC Forum which has recently become a bit of a Boxing Ring with Members constantly having a go at each other - thankfully something that very rarely happens here.

Being a former "00" man when I lived in the U.K., I am now totally converted to N gauge and am enjoying my hobby more than ever. The main problem I have (apart from lack of useable space), is that I am never satisfied with my Layout, and am constantly changing it!

As a member of the SOC Forum I have met lots of Stag owners here in Tenerife (on Holiday) who I would never have met in the U.K., and on a visit to New Zealand a couple of years ago, my wife and I were met at the quayside when our cruise ship docked there by a number of local Stag owners who took us out for ther day in a convoy of 9 Triumph Stags.

Unfortunatlely I have yet to meet any other NGF members in person, either here or in the U.K., but have met with a couple of N gauge enthusiasts who live not far away from me here in Tenerife who are NGS members.

Almost all my rolling stock, track, and scenic items I order online (mainly from Hattons), but have also used Gaugemaster, Osborns, KGB, Antics, and a few others, including occassionally Ebay for my purchases, which are all VAT free, but take at least a week to reach me, which can be frustrating at times.

I am not a "rivet counter", and my modelling skilss leave a lot to be desired, and I also like a "roundy roundy" layout with trains constantly on the move. Maybe one day I will acquire enough space to produce a layout that would satisfy me - but for now I have to make do with what I can fit in a small narrow 7th floor storeroom.

I enjoy using this Forum, and visit nearly everyday that I am not on my travels (which is quite a bit), so credit where credit is due, well done to everyone concerned, may it remain a happy and informative place to visit.

Regards

Terry

dannyboy

Quote from: Tdm on October 16, 2015, 09:03:49 PM

I enjoy using this Forum,  may it remain a happy and informative place to visit.

Well said that man  :thumbsup: Being a comparative 'newbie', I have to say that it is, (usually), one of the friendliest forums I have ever seen - and the knowledge of the participants is invaluable in my endeavours. (Reminder to self - get some pic's posted!).  :thankyousign:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Agrippa

A most friendly post, the main thing is whatever your standard of modelling is
just enjoy it , if it's not exhibition standard , big deal, just have fun with your
trains.... :).
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Newportnobby

It's a great shame your UK visits never seem to coincide with exhibitions in the area, Terry, such that we could meet up and have a chinwag + brew. Whenever you're next in Chorley we'll arrange to meet and you can have a look at my layouts (whatever state they're likely to be in). Only operations such as last years replacement hip and a forthcoming heart operation stop me from driving to shows etc.
Please drop me a PM if you need to know when there are 'local' shows on.

Thanks for the kind words regarding the forum. Of the 4500+ members a very small number regularly post but provide a great atmosphere and lots of help.
:NGF:

Webbo

Terry, you are right on the money with your post. I concur fully with your comments on the congeniality and your enjoyment of the NGF. Even though there are a few NGF members in Oz, we are all a minimum of several hundred kilometers apart so your remarks on feeling isolated physically strike a chord as well. Being perpetually dissatisfied with your layout goes with the territory I'm afraid and could be viewed as a positive driver towards better things.

Webbo 

Bealman

Thanks for the nice comments, Terry.  :beers:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Chetcombe

As a fellow 'isolated' forum member, I fully agree with all the comments and sentiments. British outline N gauge modellers are a bit of a rarity in these parts as well!
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Tdm

Thank you all for your positive replies, this Forum really does chear me up if I have had a bad day (such as the Bar running out of my favourite beer  :beers:).

Mick - my wife & I fly over to the U.K. several times a year to see either Son & family in Chester (when we fly to Liverpool or Manchester), or Daughter & family in Chelmsford (when we fly to Stanstead or Southend).

Not due another visit till next year but will try and make it when there is a show on worth visiting, and will definately give you a call Mick next time we come over to Chorley to see the wife's Sister. St. Davids Day next year will be my daughter's 40th birthday and her and son's family are all coming out to Tenerife to celebrate in a big family gathering.

Have to go now as it is Saturday morning which means snooker from 11am to 1pm, then up to the train room afterwards to do some more work rebuilding the layout prior to the extra track I need being delivered sometime within the next 14 days.

Such a hard life! :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations