Lima luggage van

Started by Jonathan Clapp, June 17, 2012, 02:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan Clapp

I found this interesting 4 wheeled vehicle recently.

I wonder if you guys could shed light on the prototype, is it in fact a British prototype? if so what era, what sort of trains would it run in?
I can make out "CCF" but none of the data.

Jerry Howlett

Hi, Yes it is a BR type, the lettering should be CCT (Covered carriage truck) they were used up until the early 80's I believe but in parcels trains as 4 wheelers were banned from passenger trains sometime before the 70's. (I think). So in the livery you have its a late 60's to 80's era. Some were used later on for departmental use.
I am sure being Lima it will be slightly overscale but others may have views on that as I have never owned one. Hopefully a link to phots of the real thing is below !
http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brcct/slideshow
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Jonathan Clapp

Excellent info, thanks! and thanks for the link to the slide show.
I am now a fan of CCT vans.
The model does have that big fat Lima look and feel.

BernardTPM

The Lima CCT is one of the last British models they did and is mostly quite accurate to 1:148 scale, though the suspension detail is stretched up slightly so it sits slightly too high. It is possible to correct it but a new version from Farish/Bachmann has been announced. Here's the one I corrected next to a GUV (a similar bogie van - in this case a detailed Fleetline kit with spliced Lima CCT roofs and ends)

Agrippa

Dapol also did the CCT in SR green, quite a
nice model.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Agrippa on June 17, 2012, 09:47:49 AM
Dapol also did the CCT in SR green, quite a
nice model.

Different CCT

CCT = Covered Carriage Truck and is a class of vehicles. There are a huge range of them. The Lima one is a pretty decent model of the BR built Mark 1 CCT.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Adam1701D

The Lima CCT is actually a rather good little model, apart from the ride height as Bernard has mentioned. They were in active use up until the mid 1980s as parcels vans with lots being used as departmental vehicles, often as static stores vans.

I've done a few overlays for these, including the Red-Star branded "Red Bank" parcels vans from the 80s.

Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

silly moo

I've just bought two Tartan Arrow CCTs for a total price equivalent to 6 pounds at a local swapmeet, did I get a good buy?

I was planning to respray one of them if they aren't collectible.

Regards

Veronica.

:NGaugersRule:

BernardTPM

That's a good price for two  :thumbsup:

EtchedPixels

Quote from: silly moo on September 01, 2012, 03:42:10 PM
I've just bought two Tartan Arrow CCTs for a total price equivalent to 6 pounds at a local swapmeet, did I get a good buy?

I've seen the Tartan Arrow ones go for silly money on ebay (like £20 each) 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

silly moo

Thank you for the answers. I have just found out that a real one has been preserved so I think I will park one of mine in a siding on my layout.

I'm pleased I didn't pay an outrageous price for them.

Regards

Veronica.

:thankyousign:

dodger

The Southern Region were still using 4 wheel CCT's on western section express passenger trains in the mid 1960's. I have at least one photo showing a maroon BR Mk1 version. A pair of SR PMV's were used on the Golden Arrow and fitted with ETH cables.

Between 1967 & 1973 the four loco-hauled 3 sets used on the Reading - Redhill service each had an air braked and ETH wired SR type PMV painted in BR blue.

On the Southern a PMV (Paercels & Miscellaneous Van) was virtually the same as a CCT but did not have end doors for loading road vehicles.

silly moo

Thanks for that, I have a preference for SR.

I have just discovered that Graham Farish will be bringing out a Tartan Arrow CCT soon so I'm pleased I got the Lima ones cheaply.

Regards

Veronica.

BernardTPM

As far as I know none of the BR design CCTs were painted in green (a few Mk.1 GUVs were repainted green though). The Southern CCT is quite different - Chivers did a kit and Dapol did  one RTR (and are to upgrade it for re-release). The Mk.1 CCTs were maroon when new, later blue (plus a few 'Tartan Arrow').

dodger

I cant recall seeing a green BR CCT. The photos I have in BR days show a maroon CCT.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations