Width of CMX Track cleaner

Started by RichardC, April 27, 2012, 04:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardC

Hi everyone,
A bit of info required if poss.Having realised that I must do some track cleaning,I`ve read just about all the discussions on this topic,from cheap and DIY, to expensive.It seems that "you pay your money you takes your choice"What I would like to know is the width of the CMX track cleaner,the bit at the bottom that holds the cloth,it looks rather wide, or rather the metal clips do.Are there any problems with catching trackside items,platforms etc.Anyone with any experience of this or do the pics not do it justice.I`d rather find out before I spend the childrens inheritence

Thanks
Richard

Jack

The width across the widest part, the clips that hold the cloth, is 25mm!! (I've just measured the one I have but don't use).

CMX cleaners do a good job, but you are right to consider its width! If you have platforms they can be rather wide for them unless you have a wide, unrealistic gap between platform and coach. They also, occasionally, catch on the frog of the points if you use Peco Code 80 track. How they respond to other makes of track I don't know.

They also need a heavy loco to push/pull it, CMXs are solid brass and therefore very heavy.

Its worth doing a forum search re: CMX, and see want others feel about the CMX.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

RichardBattersby

Hi Richard (good name!). As you correctly point out, it is the silver metal clips that are incredibly wide. I don't have mine handy but I'm sure Jack has got it right. It is this that causes the problems. My layout is nowhere near finished so I way able to make the necessary adjustments. The cleaner does fit 'in' the platform fine but caught and derailed itself on the ends where the platform meet the ground. To combat this I had to change my square ends to tapered ends '>'. So that the platform edge was sufficiently far enough away from the track by the point the clip reached it. If that makes sense. I don't think it makes my platform look bad at all, indeed it's probably more prototypical.

Running it shouldn't cause too many problems. I use Peco code 55 track and it never gets caught at any point but due to the increased friction running over points (extra rails) then it does slow it down and you need to run it at a reasonble speed to get it over the point. My new Dapol class 66 will not pull it. I have an old brass-geared all wheel drive class 37 that I use to push/pull it around the layout. It's not possible to run it prototypical speeds.

These negatives, which are small in my opinion but understandably have the potential to be quite significant, pale in comparison to the cleaning job it actually does. Cleaning is easy and fun, but  maybe I'm sad? I'd highly recommend it assuming you've taken due consideration to the two points above. I.e. if you don't have a loco that can pull it then buying one may essentially double the cost of the cleaner. Also, if you layout is near completion then the necessary scenic changes may prove prohibitive.

It's all down to what you prefer but if you can cope with the above then I'd go for it. There's also the posibility of modifying the clips as they're the only issue. You could also try two 'lesser' locos.

It's really nice to be able to offer some advice for once on the forum rather than taking it! Think this is a first! Hope this hel ;D :thumbsup:ps!!

:Class37: :NGFWagonTour: :Class37:
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

RichardC

Many thanks for the reply Jack.
I think your answer of 25mm just about seals it`s fate as far as I am concerned,just a bit too wide--I`m not prepared to alter the platform widths--- again.At least thats one item out of the equation.I can see it will be back to mark one finger and cloth before I`m done.
Thanks

Richard

RichardC

Hi Richard,
Sorry, I`d done the above post before I saw yours----Now I`m in two minds again.Thanks for a very good answer, I think you have made it very clear as to where the problems may lie.Now it`s down to me.I know what you mean about tapered platform ends-I`ve already had to do that.
Oh me !!!!,problems ,problems

Thanks

Richard

RichardBattersby

No problem, I suspected as much. Oh dear, I hope I haven't muddied the water too much but at least you understood what I was trying to say. That would be a real pain, especially if you've had to do it before. You need to do what's right for you, what's right for me isn't necessarily right for you however I would like to quote the following suggesting that it maybe "short term pain for long term gain." Assuming you're happy with the eventual layout, you're going to have many years of track cleaning so find a method that gives the least hassle. As you say - over to you...
Richard

edwin_m

Sorry Richard, platform ramps that taper away from the track are a product of people's imaginations, possibly being brought up on the plastic offerings of Hornby and the like.  Real platform ramp edges are almost always parallel to the track. 

I have the Tomix track cleaner which does a reasonable job although the pads don't last more than about one session.  I use IPA, though this probably isn't the recommended fluid as it dissolves the paint a bit.  However it has run like that for several years with no damage to the mechanism. 

Edit: The Tomix (not Dapol, though they sell it) cleaner is a bit wider than and quite a bit taller than British N gauge stock.  I guess both that and the CMX are aimed at the American market. 

To power it I now use two Farish split chassis mechanisms left over from converting 158s and 170s into other things.  I've jumpered the pickups together so it has 16-wheel drive and 16-wheel pickup.  Almost nothing can stop it! 

RichardBattersby

Ah damnit. I knew someone was going to tell me that. Ah well, it's done now and I've bought the cleaner to has to happen. Never mind.  :-[
Richard

RichardC

Like I say" You pays your money you takes your choice".At the moment I think the Tomix gets my vote---at the moment---may change my mind in ten minutes. ???

EtchedPixels

I find the Tomix one very good for general use but it is to some kind of hyrid US/JP loading gauge so overhigh and a bit wide low down. The height is fixable by doing evil things to the control knob (or in my case removing it as I fitted it for DCC) the width isn't.

I find the hoover bit superb and the soft discs are quite handy. They get dirty fast but seem to carry on working just fine until they are quite mucky. I've never used the abrasive disks, as they are far too vicious. If it needs a deeper clean its out with the wood block, card strips, IPA and elbow grease
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

RichardC

Many thanks for that EtchedPixels, might I ask for the width of the Tomix at it`s widest point.Seeing that I now know that the CMX is 25mm I might as well find out what the Tomix is.
Thanks for your trouble

Richard

fisherman

have a look @ my  track  cleaning  wagon in  tutorials July  11 th 2011

you  can  build one  to  whatever size  you  want and  one  cleaning  cloth  will last  you  ages.

BTW.. it's  in this month's  Model Rail mag too!!

yehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

fame @ last
<o({{{<<

Sprintex

The Tomix cleaner is 20mm wide and the cleaning head is no wider than the wagon itself  :thumbsup:

It is also 120mm long and 32mm high if anyone needs to know  ;D

Paul

RichardC

My Thanks to all---Looks like I will doing DIY first---thanks Fisherman.Maybe Tomix after if I can hide the cost somewhere.

Richard

EtchedPixels

Quote from: RichardC on April 29, 2012, 12:24:08 PM
My Thanks to all---Looks like I will doing DIY first---thanks Fisherman.Maybe Tomix after if I can hide the cost somewhere.

Richard

You'll be doing some manual anyway - as polishers and day to day cleaners they are great, but I've yet to meet a track cleaner than can replace human power once the quick wipe stage is passed.

In addition remember that if you just clean the track you'll still get crud build up on all the wheels and they will put it back rapidly, so you need to clean the wheels as well now and then. There isn't a good machine for that yet - although the Tomix one is amusing and not entirely hopeless. It isn't averse to firing Peco wagons into orbit though.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations