UK telly: Get Some In

Started by RailGooner, July 04, 2019, 10:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailGooner

'Get Some In' is being repeated on Talking Pictures (Virgin Media 445) 6pm weekdays.

It's a sitcom set on a RAF training camp during 50's National Service. Originally broadcast in 1975, when I signed up in '79 I found that 'Get Some In' was still uncannily accurate! :D

guest311

chrism

Train Waiting

My late father particularly enjoyed a scene where the hapless recruits have to flee in disarray from a RAF Regiment hut.  Dad was very proud of his time as a 'Rock Ape'.  Per Ardua!

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

RailGooner

'Kit' (S1, E3). Just watched it. :beers:

guest311

Quote from: RailGooner on July 04, 2019, 12:06:58 PM

it always seemed that to a storeman, one size fits all  :smiley-laughing:

chrism

That's the one where Marsh dished out a set of kit in record time isn't it?

RailGooner

Quote from: chrism on July 04, 2019, 12:33:08 PM

That's it. Heading back to barracks, Richardson (David Janson) abandons his own kit to help carry Lilley's (Gerard Ryder). they return to find Richardson's kit now missing. Richardson enters the Rock's hut and after comedy shouts/bangs/screams he reappears sporting a coverall 'wedgie'! :D

Lawrence

If you have freeview you should be able to get ForcesTV, they've been rerunning it for a while now, the acting, "uniforms" and stereotypes made me cringe but I'll bet we all came across characters just like them in our time to The Queen

guest311

OK, when I went in in '67, it wasn't that bad, but when I saw 'get some in' there were definitely echoes of basic.

Swinderby for 6 weeks basic....
Debden for 12 weeks RAFP .....
then a further 6 weeks in the dog school to achieve QPD...

then off to Northern Ireland for a year.

as a sub cpl put it there, you've learnt how it's supposed to be done, now you'll learn how it's done in the real world  :smiley-laughing:

interestingly, ours was the last entry to pass out with the Lee Enfield, our support flights on pass out parade had the SLR.
two different drills on one parade  :bounce:

guest311

the good old days of rifle drill ........

FLIGHT SLOPE .... WAIT FOR IT.... ARMS !

1..2.3 1..2.3  1

and the sheer satisfaction as 30 rifles moved in unison......... at long last  >:D

do you still get those that march with left arm and leg together  :'(

Calnefoxile

When I were a lad, me Mam & Dad took me to see Get Some In live at the Blackpool Winter gardens, must have been 1976/77 time.

Never laughed so much in my life, until the Mrs C & I went to see 'Allo 'Allo live, nearly wet myself laughing.

Oh and I learnt .303 drill in the Space Cadets and SLR drill at Swinders  ;) ;)

Regards

Neal.

The Q

Quote from: RailGooner on July 04, 2019, 10:28:07 AM
'Get Some In' is being repeated on Talking Pictures (Virgin Media 445) 6pm weekdays.

It's a sitcom set on a RAF training camp during 50's National Service. Originally broadcast in 1975, when I signed up in '79 I found that 'Get Some In' was still uncannily accurate! :D
L
I believe filmed at an in use camp, 

my last station most of the men and women  were still living in temporary wartime crumbling concrete prefabs,  with overhead heating pipes that had long since lost its insulation.  I left  in  88  but they were still  in use till 93..

At another station I came across a SWO who previously had been at the station mentioned above,  he arrived at this station already banned from entering technical buildings as a danger to personnel .
He wouldn't  accept working on high voltage required one hand kept in a pocket,  and had crept up behind someone and shouted in his ear "Get your hands out of your pockets" hence the ban.  He was a definite throw back to the 50s..

RailGooner

Quote from: class37025 on July 04, 2019, 03:43:59 PM
do you still get those that march with left arm and leg together  :'(

Tick-tocking :D I've witnessed it still on docutainment shows. Fortunately never suffered a bout myself.

Train Waiting

Quote from: RailGooner on July 04, 2019, 12:51:35 PM
Quote from: chrism on July 04, 2019, 12:33:08 PM

That's it. Heading back to barracks, Richardson (David Janson) abandons his own kit to help carry Lilley's (Gerard Ryder). they return to find Richardson's kit now missing. Richardson enters the Rock's hut and after comedy shouts/bangs/screams he reappears sporting a coverall 'wedgie'! :D

Many thanks for this.  It must be at least 40 years since I watched this programme with Dad.  The thread has reminded me of the two of us sitting together, laughing.  A very happy memory indeed!

Thanks again.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations