what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

The plumber and builder finished the bathroom just in time for any lockdown (and if not to work on outside stuff for a while - stopping the former stable/coach-house now garage from falling down) so I got all my space back and a bathroom.

I've been repairing a slightly damaged 6x4 baseboard that went through the child wants trainset, child doesn't want trainset cycle. The legs are not very strong but I may well change those for proper legs later. It's now sat in the middle of my space. I also got various bits of old layout arranged around a wall and sort of tentatively connected to one another to make something. Some work needed there to deal with things like not quite being the same height and not actually intended to function as a standalone layout.

And then my wife inspects the refurbished bathroom, looks at the big old wooden cupboard one side of it and suggests a nice way to deal with the rather manky top it has would be to put a layout on top of it !

So all in all quite a good day and something to keep me sane for the next couple of months

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Newportnobby

It's been 2-3 months since I last ran anything and, at that time, I had a dicky point in the main line fiddle yard which meant when anything was set going, I never knew if it would pass through the yard or get stuck, meaning a crawl under the layout to retrieve it.
This morning I replaced the small code 55 point with a curved code 55 one but, was it an easy task?
No :no:
As anyone swapping out a point knows, it's damned difficult joining all 3 tracks, let alone when the replacement point is larger and the track to the toe end had to be shortened. After much filling of the swearbox and possibly amusing the neighbours with my whimpers of pain owing to the dreaded 'Fishplate Finger' syndrome, I finally completed the job and had much fun running a class 25, then a 20, then a 14 and finally an 08. It's just so good to have the peace of mind a train will come back round :) :) I was amazed at how well they all ran on track uncleaned in so long!
The only problem is I have another 3 to do to make running smoother but, after today, they can  :censored: well wait until it all gets lifted when I finally get round to adding motors to all the points and wiring back to control panels

chrism

Quote from: EtchedPixels on March 18, 2020, 10:00:35 PM
And then my wife inspects the refurbished bathroom, looks at the big old wooden cupboard one side of it and suggests a nice way to deal with the rather manky top it has would be to put a layout on top of it !

A layout in the bathroom, eh?
Most people make do with rubber or plastic ducks.

:D

texhorse

Quote from: Pjlons83 on November 02, 2019, 09:55:33 PM
I've been working on ideas for a little corner of my layout that needs "filling" with something.

I'm going to keep working on this idea and see how it develops. It's my first go at a metcalfe mini kit for the benches and I have to say they're VERY fiddly but I managed this and the shed set too so all in all a nice evening spent "playing". I've also printed a new decal for the burger van so it will soon be under new management.   :)

It's taken me a long time to catch up with this thread, but I finally managed it.  One post in particular has really stood out for me.  I love this kit.  Well done Mate!

For myself, I have finally managed to get to grips with Peco Insulated joiners.  I am supergluing them into my points and then putting a piece of scrap rail underneath to stop it bending, while I push track into it.

I model American N Scale, and have just finished relaying sidings into my corn syrup plant.  Now I need to relay my fuelling roads, headshunt and join the tracks to the existing loco depot sidings.

Andy
UK
Stay Safe My Friends
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

Roy L S

I have been unashamedly playing trains on my part finished layout, but yesterday started to actually clear boards a bit (mostly stock) in order to start some localised scenic work pending eventual acquisition of my backscenes, after which things can hopefully go up a gear.

zwilnik

As I can't start my proper layout until my flat renovation is done, and that can't be done until the lockdown ends here in Spain, I've been building a small layout with the spare bits I've got around the place.

Just did a quick cleanup and placed what I've got to give me an overview of progress so far.

LowerQuadrant

Synchronising 68 001 and 68 034 for push-pull operation on a test train.

AndyRA

Sorting through a lot of my stored items, and giving them a run on the layout, going back in time  ;D

If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

stevewalker

Unfortunately doing absolutely nothing on my layout  :(

I am still working full-time (although from home) during the week, following a change of heart from the company - who initially weren't letting us. Weekends and evenings are being spent re-doing the kitchen. I have finished re-wiring the lights, am 2/3 of the way through replacing the ceiling and I can't get to my layout, even if I had the time, as the remaining unused plasterboard is blocking access. If I get a break, I may replace the armature shaft and intermediate shafts' gears on my Poole era 101, as the replacements from BR Lines arrived a couple of days ago.

crewearpley40

texhorse

I've had a full day on the layout today!  I laid the two sidings in the corn syrup facility, then the switch into the stabling point and the headshunt. 

I've made a speed limit sign and installed it, together with sidewalks on the road bridge.  I've also painted a two dimensional road on my backdrop where the road disappears and put a crash barrier along the edge.

Andy
UK
Stay Safe My Friends
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

The Q

Making a war memorial, it's a tall Celtic cross.

Varnishing rocks and cuttings trying to give a wet look.

Newportnobby

Swapped out another iffy small point for a large curved one. Took me less than a ¼ of the time it took me yesterday and I now have Up and Down trains running through the fiddle yards and round to the front of the layout :D

crewearpley40

Thanks to @DarrwestLU6 for sorting a piece of wire with two tags and that have secured onto the back of the H& M  , wiring up soldering to fishplates and onto the track then another two soldered onto Ditton. And track pinning .

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations