The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

my first job when I left school in '62 was at the Met office, or as it was then the Air Ministry Meteorological Office, and in those days they produced 24 hour, 5 day, and 30 day forecasts.

there were ex-corvettes sat out in the Atlantic providing weather observations, and Hastings weather aircraft flight sorties for the same duties.

all of course long gone as they and their crews cost money.

the computer at the head office in Bracknell was about a 100 feet long, and worked on punched paper tapes.

but, through my rose coloured spectacles, I remember the forecasts being reasonably accurate.

these days, they can't even get it right for the next day most of the time, and I'm sure many of us have checked the local forecast on the Met office website to see that it is sunny, and then glanced out of the window at the pouring rain  :veryangry:

is that what is termed 'progress'  :dunce:

Bealman

Not sure what you're saying, buddy....  (addressing Mick)

Better batton down the hatches, Mick!

Big storms here!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daffy

Quote from: Young Bulla on November 28, 2018, 01:00:39 AM
Just had couple of entertaining days.
  Work mate pointed out an ad for a dog on a gumtree type site for an affordable price, as usual I live nowhere near the seller but my everything spent some considerable time on the phone ensuring it was 'the one'.
Long story short:-
It most certainly was not.
It was a 600 mile round trip to find this out.
I now have four neat rows of puncture marks in my right arm.
Had to drive the 300 miles home with said arm swolen to twice it's normal size through rain and spray thick enough to drop visibility to twenty feet, with the added fun factor of Irish lorry drivers never put their lights on unless its already dark!
I also have a rather sore left arm after the tetanus jab and a rather queasy feeling off the antibiotics.
Oh, and the final kick in the teeth, changed £291 to get 300 euro, changed said Euro back to sterling and got £225.
Not the best of days, back to work tonight.
All the best
Stan.

What an awful experience Stan. :(

The owner should face some sort of penalty. As for the dog.......  :hmmm:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

RailGooner

:veryangry:
Just watched Mighty Trains (S1 E2) The Shinkansen. The episode were Central Japan Railway take the credit for coming up with the idea of, and being the first to build, a tilting train.

Flippin' cheeky adAPTation of history! :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:

steve836

:censored: :censored:INSURANCE COMPANIES :veryangry: :veryangry:
Before my trip to India this winter I took out a travel policy with Staysure Insurance, paying £1200 for the privilage. On Mon last week I felt unwell so  was spending the day in bed. I got up to relieve myself and passed out, luckily landing on the bed. When I came round I was surrounded by people including ambulance staff who tried to get me down the stairs. On the way I had to rest, sat down and promptly vomited several pints of blood. On reaching the hospital I was rushed into Intensive Care and after various tests was diagnosed with cancer of the aesophogus.
So Mon. pm SWMBO contacted the insurance company; Wed am they got round to requesting we authorise them requesting the last two years medical notes, which we promptly e-mailed back and they in turn sent to our GP after sitting on it for 24 hrs. On Sat am I was allowed to leave hospital by the medical team but couldn't go because the insurers hadn't guaranteed payment. After spending nearly all day on the phone and getting the run-around from the insurance company we gave the hospital the equivalent of £400 so we could actually leave. When I got back to my apartment SWMBO and I went downstairs to the hotel restaurant as we hadn't eaten since breakfast; after dining I stood up and nearly passed out again! I was taken back to the hospital and it was found that I had a resting pulse rate in excess of 170 beats per min. with my heart showing signs of starting to beat erratically. I promptly went back into ICU and was medicated to control my heart rate. By the following Monday I was again declared fit to leave and was told that my heart problem was caused by lack of blood and the insurance company had finally guaranteed payment for the first visit! I am sure the stress caused by my insurers was a contributory factor.  Rather than face another day's hassle we left the, by now, £500 with the hospital to guarantee their payment. This morning ( Tues.) my wife again contacted the insurance co and was told that they have agreed payment to the hospital; so we should finally get our money back; and that following our visit to the hospital on Sat ( to get final release and "fit to fly" letter) they will arrange our flights home.
I have nothing but praise for the hospital staff, but why oh why do insurance companies fail to give the sort of service that one reasonably expects to ease what is a traumatic experience instead of adding to the trauma by callouse indifference and foot dragging?
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Bealman

Exactly. Scary post.

You have my sympathies totally, and I hope recovery is quick and successful.

All the very best.

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

RailGooner

Steve, very best wishes for a successful recovery.

We all get that insurance is a wager, but why some insurers have to be so insensitive while they try and welch on the bet is beyond me.

For consideration later on:
https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

Newportnobby

Horrible tale, Steve, but I hope there is a decent outcome for you

dannyboy

I hope things turn out okay for you Steve. That is certainly a good example of how not to look after customers!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Ian Bowden

Unfortunately the innocent have to carry the burden caused by the few. I think insurance companies are reacting to the recent spate of false stomach bug claims coming out of the Mediterranean holiday industry.
I have a friend who waited over a week in a Moroccan hospital while his insurance checked every thing out, he had made claims for the last 3 holidays, broken leg, fell out of bed and hit his head on table and cellulitis.

guest311

just noted on my bank statement that the government have sent me my christmas oap bonus ....

a whole £10...

why am I angry, you ask ?

because when my late father-in-law first got his, back in the late '70s / early '80s it was the princely sum of...

£10  :veryangry:

amazing how everything else, ie income tax, national insurance, fuel tax, MP's wages and pensions, prescription charges, need I go on, have gone up, but this meagre 'christmas bonus' hasn't since it first started in the last century  :censored:

yep, I think I am posting this exactly where I want to  :censored:

daffy

Shhhhhhhhhh! :uneasy:

Don't mention it too loudly, you never know who's 'listening' :no:

'They' will probably agree with you it's practically worthless, and stop paying it altogether! :o
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

guest311

dannyboy

Well that has answered a question I have had for the last two years. In December 2017 and last week, I received just over €11. Whilst I knew it was from the UK Pensions people, I never knew what it was for - now I do! Thank you.

Addit: Whilst I do not want to upset any of my UK friends on the forum, the Irish Government also pay an OAP bonus at Christmas. This year it has been reinstated to the full 100% of the weekly rate, (last year, because of 'austerity' measures, it was only 85%), so yes, that means I get one week extra pension - sorry.  :-X ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

You could at least take the smile off your face whilst apologising, David ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations