China clay covers

Started by exmouthcraig, December 10, 2018, 07:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

Evening All, thanks to Jean, Tank and NGFTech for getting the forum back up and running, with my slate and nail approach to technology i can't see what happened but im sure it was needed, it just highlights how much we use it when it's missing for 48hrs.

Still while it wasn't available i was able to get on with bits,on my layout, thank the Lord!!!!

Now I know I should be using 9ft BUT I had 10ft 5 plank minerals sat in a box and painted them bauxite and got them built, decalled and weathered as China clay wagons, what does anyone recommend using to make the tarp covers?

These are flat, because i believe the hoods came in later then my 58-63 window, and would they just be grimy slop covered black or a different colour to start??

:thankyousign: Craig

port perran

Defintely flat for your period and I believe that they were brown in colour originally.
They were nearly always grotty in appearance in use so black, light grey and china clay colour would look fine.
I have some powdered real china clay if you want some "to make a mess". If you do send me a PM.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

exmouthcraig

Thanks gents

@portperran PM sent, thank you.

I was thinking of making the covers out of old skool brown paper bags, that i reckon is strong enough to fold the corners nice but also take acrylic paint quite well.............or am I missing something obvious??

:thankyousign:

honk843

I used a cheap (I mean cheap) black plastic sack for mine, cut to the right size and then fitted with your preferred adhesive suitable weathered to taste.

exmouthcraig

@crewearpley40 i should of watched your suggested YouTube video before that comment!!!

:claphappy:  :claphappy:

Got to give that a whirl!!!

crewearpley40

it was not me that made that youtube video but interesting it was

crepello

The flat covers weren't the normal BR tarpaulins then?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations