shares in this website

Started by matt-b, June 14, 2011, 08:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael

little tip for those who donate, when I did I ticked it as being and gift and tank recived the full amount rather than losing loads of it in paypal fees

Tank

Quote from: poliss on June 17, 2011, 12:46:38 AM
It can be cheap. I don't pay a penny for my forum.

Quite right, it can be cheap.  The first version of this forum was on a server with free hosting.  For those who remember, the forum became unavailable quite a lot, at at certain times could take a whole minute to download a page.  More than likely that was a problem with 110mb (company name), but they said that if I paid for a years subsciption then those problems would disappear.  Nothing happened in a positive way, and I lost that money!  So, I went back to a company I've always used, slightly more expensive, but they have superb service, allow a large amount of bandwidth, and most importantly they have the latest versions of MySQL for running the forum properly.

A large expense is having a technician that I pay to update the forum, and add a lot of modifications to it.  I can do a lot of background modifications, but some of the coding is beyond my knowledge.  I need someone who knows what they're doing, and won't mess up the forum.

Once the forum pays for itself I'll allow attachments to be added - as I know it annoys some people having to use 3rd party sites to upload them.

poliss

I suppose it's a question of which free host you use. With mine I can host photos and embed large size (853x510) Youtube videos using the iframe tag. It's also extremely rare for it to be unavailable.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations