1st gen dmus

Started by bluedepot, August 14, 2014, 10:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

I've just been reading modern locomotives illustrated first gen dmus issue and that got me thinking...

1. Which first gen dmu not currently available rtr do you think would be the most commercially successful?

2. Which would you most like to see produced?

The rules are you can't suggest rail buses!

Tim

Claude Dreyfus

I reckon the class 117 would be ideal; long-lived, wide-spread and carried a variety of liveries.

That would be a good model to see produced; along with a Thumper (either the 205 or 207)...

NeMo

Quote from: Claude Dreyfus on August 14, 2014, 10:49:58 PM
I reckon the class 117 would be ideal; long-lived, wide-spread and carried a variety of liveries.

+1 for the class 117.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

bluedepot

I went on 117s quite a bit as a child out of Paddington so I would definitely buy one in NSE livery!

cross country or trans penine units anyone?

class 128 parcels?

I suppose most realistic (although not ones I would buy) would be derby lightweight or 105 as they are made in OO by Bachmann I think.

Tim

SD35

We're pretty well covered with the widespread use of 101s and 108s.  As above, 117s would be useful for quite a bit of the network in their lifetimes and the 104 was all over the north and in London plus the example of the West Highland.

MJKERR

Quote from: Claude Dreyfus on August 14, 2014, 10:49:58 PMI reckon the class 117 would be ideal; long-lived, wide-spread and carried a variety of liveries
Quite easy to retool as Class 116 for Scotland as well

Class 104 were also based at Ayr for a short period of time

Class 120 would be a final option

I am just waiting for the latest Class 101 (DCC version) to have Strathclye Transport livery applied

That just leaves the Class 107, which was quite unique to Scotland
Again, this could be retooled from the Class 108

4x2

Has to be class 124 'trans-pennine' for me....

Probably the best looking 1st gen DMU built and it ran in large sets so would easy to sell many units. Weathered version would essential - I've never seen a pic of a clean one !
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Karhedron

I would agree that a 117 would be extremely useful. Farish have got the 57' prototypes well covered at the moment but we are sorely missing the 64' units and DMUs covering the west country.

The 117 is an obvious choice as it ran alongside the Dapol 121s and 122s. It can easily be tweaked into the very similar 116s and 118s for even wider geographical appeal.

Next up would be the 128 Parcels unit. Can utilise the existing Dapol bubble chassis. Only Me (of this parish) has already produced a very nice 3D printed bodyshell conversion for this very reason.

Lastly would be the 120 cross-country units. Distinctive "face", widspread (WR, LMR ScR) and long lived.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

KeithHC

For me it would have to be any Southern DEMU. Ideally a 3D for my proposed layout based on Rowfant. But I am a Thumper geek so all of them please :thumbsup: :bounce:

busman

I would quite like to see a class 105 and also and most unlikely a class 127 four car unit. Unlikely because of their very limited sphere of operation but because they are the units I most remember from my "formative" years!

EtchedPixels

I would have said 116/7/8

but really thats at least 3rd generation DMU 8)

Generation 1 was the early stuff like the GWR petrol-electric unit, Generation 2 would be the WR railcar sets and the LMS articulated unit and so on, Generation 3 would be the early BR experiments (converted LMS coach pair etc) leading into the units they built  :beers:

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Caz

Definitely want a 117 as they ran on the Fairford Branch, besides the 101 (have 2) the occasional 120 and one odd 115 were seen traversing the rails between Oxford and Fairford.  :)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Adam1701D

I would love to see the 104 and 105 available RTR, particularly the latter which was a such a common sight in the Eastern Region when I was a lad.

The 104 could also become a Class 110 Calder Valley unit with very little work.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

BernardTPM

The 117 etc. high density units. Dapol have a good starting point with the 121/122. First they should do the driving trailers that ran with those.  That way they've got about half the work already done and can make some money back before completing the job!

bluedepot

I would buy a 104 and a 117

I suppose commercially though that dmus are not going to sell much. most people are happy with just one dmu and will already have a 108 or 101 so would not want another. only a small minority would buy a few different dmus for their layout.

anyway its a good topic to discuss!

I suppose longevity and regional spread are key factors for deciding what other dmu to produce rtr.

Tim

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations