W class tank

Started by exmouthcraig, February 27, 2018, 09:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyn

Hi Dave;

it works OK.

Martyn

Southerngooner

That's good news! Another problem solved.....

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Southerngooner

I'm looking to get some etched brass steps made for the W, to replace the original version on the Rue d'Etropal model. They will be a copy of the real thing, with a tab to bend over at the point of fixing to the footplate which should enable simple gluing in place. If I go forward, would anyone else be interested in a pair at cost plus postage?  They won't be printed alone, I'm also trying to get some etched parts for large girders made too.

PM me if you are interested

Dave
Dave

Southerngooner

Hi all

After a bit of a delay partly caused by moving house and getting Brickmakers Lane into a better state, I've finally got round to getting some brass steps etched for the centre pair by the cylinders on the W tank. They should be going to the etchers this week, so if you are still interested please let me know.

Dave
Dave

Southerngooner

Hi

After a long wait I've finally got these in from Worsley Works, and they are nicely done. If you are interested in buying a pair please let me know.

Dave
Dave

Chris in Prague

Well worth waiting for Dave. I have the donor 'N'. In the New Year, I'll buy the 3D print W.

Bob G

This is interesting as I tried to do this to the 3D printed kit with an N chassis, and I found that to clear the valve gear the steps would need to be mounted at least a scale foot outside of their prototype position.

The brass tabs at the top of the brass etches don't look anything like as long as they would need to be for the Farish N chassis.

I surgically removed the steps from the 3D print with the view that I would support them using brass strip that could be glued to the inside of the tanks and be folded in a Z shape (or S Shape, for the other side) and support the steps on that.

It all went wrong when after cutting away some of the boiler to make space for the N chassis, I dropped the body on the floor and bits broke off.  I think I gave it to @Dorsetmike for a small sum (can't remember) and decided my time was too valuable to spend on this monster :)

Hope you get a solution that works, maybe not the N chassis but another? (the cylinders are not quite right either, but neither the Fairburn or Standard 4 are right for this massive loco).

Bob

Southerngooner

Hi Bob

I can sure you that the N chassis does work in the W, despite the obvious issues re cylinders. I tested a mock up of these steps on my N before commissioning them to prove they would work. If I can find the video I'll post it here.

Dave
Dave

Bob G

Thanks Dave.

Mind you I have so many unfinished projects, do I need to start another?  :D

chrism

Quote from: Bob G on December 21, 2023, 01:37:59 PMThanks Dave.

Mind you I have so many unfinished projects, do I need to start another?  :D

You know that you want to  :smiley-laughing:

Southerngooner

My "to do" and "part finished" project list is getting a lot longer now I'm working on the layout, but it's always good to look at something new......!

Dave
Dave

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations