Point motor availability

Started by Too old to die young, January 08, 2020, 08:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too old to die young

Hi all. Getting a bit frustrated here. I have decided that I want to go with slow acting point motors rather than solenoid to avoid the "clunk" on changing. Looking at both the Tortoise and Colbalt range but no matter what or where I look everybody seems to be out of stock. Is there a supply problem? Does anyone know?
This is putting a halt on progress at the moment.

Biggy

I have experienced a similar frustration I have been waiting for Cobalt digitalis since November. I believe it will be February before they come in. Probably currently on a boat from China.
Not sure its supposed to do that

Steven B

Servo based point motors are worth a look; There are several off-the-shelf systems including one produced by Peco.

A search for Servo point motor will give you plenty to look at.

Steven B

geoffc

If you do decide to go down the servo route, have a look at the MERG website as they have a selection of kits etc to control the servo motors. They do require some soldering ability to assemble them but they are not that difficult and a lot cheaper than off the shelf offerings. You do have to be a member to purchase them.

Geoff

ODRAILS

Quote from: Too old to die young on January 08, 2020, 08:12:38 AM
Hi all. Getting a bit frustrated here. I have decided that I want to go with slow acting point motors rather than solenoid to avoid the "clunk" on changing. Looking at both the Tortoise and Colbalt range but no matter what or where I look everybody seems to be out of stock. Is there a supply problem? Does anyone know?
This is putting a halt on progress at the moment.

How about the Hoffman/Conrad point motor type. Hoffman are/were expensive but Conrads were cheaper. The Conrad type are now available here:
https://www.rapidonline.com/white-label-1396900-points-motor-with-limit-and-polarity-switches-59-1100
Ian

ntpntpntp

Oh that's interesting, the Conrad items being listed by Rapid.

I've had a bunch of them in a box for years (from when they were about £4 each), still waiting to be used as I'm usually a Peco motor user.  There were versions with and without accessory changeover contacts, so check which ones you want/buy.

I would would categorise the Conrad motors as "zonk", ie. slower/softer than a solenoid "clonk" but not true slow-acting.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

jpendle

There are no supply issues for Tortoises here in the US. It must just be that the UK suppliers don't stock vast quantities.

Tonys Trains have 12 packs for $162, but you have to pay VAT and shipping on top of that if ordering from over here.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

dancingderek

Another vote for servos. Cheap and easy to fit. If you don't fancy joining Merg and soldering there are ready made control boards available. I used Megapoints Controllers. One board controls 12 servos and although not cheap it's still less per point than slow acting motors.

njee20

I also use Megapoints, and I'm happy with them. The system gets expensive if you want DCC control, built in changover relays etc, as it's modular, but it's also very versatile.

My main complaint is that despite using a circuit breaker to create a separate accessory bus a short on the layout results in all points cycling constantly, which is really annoying, and quite destructive - as any stock which has stopped over a turnout tends to be derailed!

Too old to die young

Thanks for all your interest. I have had a quick look at Conrad, Megapoints but probably need to investigate further. I did perform a cost exercise beteen Cobalt and Peco. For the Cobalt it is simply (as far as a novice can work out) just buying the units. When available a dozen is about £260 for the Peco by the time I have bought a dozen PL-10E, PL-9, PL-13, PL-34 and a CDU there is little in it. Maybe I will just have to wait until the Cobalts are available. I do like the idea of the slow running.

stevewalker

Although most of the Cobalts are not in stock, Hattons do seem to have 4 off, six-packs of DCP-CB6OMG in stock at £90 a pack. I don't know if this model is what you want though.

crewearpley40

Too old to die young

It's the IP Analogue ones. Would pay more for the Digital ones if I couldn't get the analogue ones but not bothered about programming them into the controller.

kirky

Another vote for servos via Merg. Just in case people were not aware - there is a new system currently being introduced into Merg called Ezy-bus which is an arduino based system. You can control servos for points and signals. Its aversatile and cheap system. I paid £13 for a system to run 16 servos. Its also expandable and fairly easy to use (compared to say CBUS). It utilises cat 5 cable and is modular. Obviously you have to be a Merg member but it would still be cheaper than Mega points I think?
Cheers
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Biggy

QuoteServo based point motors are worth a look; There are several off-the-shelf systems including one produced by Peco.

A search for Servo point motor will give you plenty to look at.

Steven B

The attraction for me of the cobalts is the simple wiring and the built in frog power and polarity reversing which can be done with three wires all of which are clip fit.
How does this compare with the servo motors?  I genuinely don't know but would be interested in The answer
Many thanks
Not sure its supposed to do that

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations