Graham Hughes J50

Started by kirky, December 10, 2017, 08:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

east anglian

Shapeways    do    a    3d   print   which    may   look    very   good   in   a   display   cabinate   but   will    lack    the   weight   and    whould   not   pull   the   skin   off   a    rice    pud,  even   their  tender    locos   need     a    weighty  tender    drive,

njee20

Shapeways aren't a manufacturer. A printed body will always be lighter than a metal one, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't make one perform well.

thebrighton

Quote from: east anglian on December 16, 2019, 08:50:58 PM
Shapeways    do    a    3d   print   which    may   look    very   good   in   a   display   cabinate   but   will    lack    the   weight   and    whould   not   pull   the   skin   off   a    rice    pud,  even   their  tender    locos   need     a    weighty  tender    drive,
I've a few 3D printed tank engines and there's always plenty of space to add weight. Easiest option is a thin sheet of lead on the inside of the tank sides, the smokebox is hollow so more room as is the bunker. They're no different to a RTR tank with a plastic body. They too have weight added.

east anglian

No   disrespect   to   Shapeways   as   they    do   produce     some    excellent      3D     prints   and   I   have   made    a   few    for   friends   but   this    is    what    I    found   that   was     the    weak    spot   and    yes   in    some    cases   weights    could   be   added   to    improve   traction,   

njee20

Again, Shapeways are not a manufacturer, they just print other people's designs. In the same way eBay is not a shop.

A metal body will obviously weigh more than a plastic one, but adding weight is rarely impossible, and I'd say it's a bit disingenuous to suggest they'd only be good for sitting in a display cabinet.

east anglian

There  have   been   many    comments   about   the  tractive   effort     between   3 D   printing   and   white   metal    kits   and   adding   weights   to   improve    traction,   can    any     3D   Tank    locomotive   come    close    to    my    J50    on    my    test   track,   as     the   1st   photo    shows   it   hauled    a  300gm    weight    4ft   on    a    level   track,   unfortunately    it   slipped   when    it    was    raised    to    4    inches   but    it    did    haul   a    150   gram    tin    of    sardines    up   the   full    4    inches,    I    did   at    first   try   this   on    my    layout    but    unfortunately   it    got    stuck    in     a    tunnel   and   it    took     me    over    1    hour    to    free   the    load    and    locomotive.

east anglian

thebrighton

But why would I ever want one of my tank locos to pull a can of beans? Mine pull prototypical length trains and that's good enough for me and I'd guess a lot of people will have shorter trains due to space constraints.
Sure, a lump of metal will always give more tractive effort (if the weight is in the right place) but to simply dismiss all 3D printed locos as display items is way off the mark. There are numerous RTR locos with plastic bodies that weigh less than a 3D printed one and also without a fair but of work white metal kits tend to lack the detail/finesse of plastic.
If I do ever find myself in the position of having to transport baked beans and only have N gauge locos to perform the task I'll be sure to go for a metal bodied one ;)

east anglian

Unfortunatly   my   test   track   is   only    6ft    long   so   the   weight   of   the    can   of     beans   is    about    equal   to   15   coaches,   this    was    only    done   to   prove    a   point   that    3D   printing   lacks     weight    and   if   there   is   no    room   to   add    weight   then   your    stuck   with    a   display   cabinate   locomotive

njee20

But that's not what you've proved. You've proved that your model can haul a tin of beans. That doesn't automatically mean that any 3D printed model is only for display. That's a ludicrous strawman.

If you have no room to add weight you have a large chassis, which is probably quite heavy. Ultimately 3D printed models are plastic. Virtually all mass produced models (not UM) are plastic. Are you saying the only locos you have are metal? Everything else is for display purposes only.

thebrighton

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I've numerous 3D printed locos and by their nature they are hollow so allow stacks of weight to be added. The can of beans doesn't prove any point as when would you need a J50 to pull 15 coaches and if for some reason you did the 3D J50 I posted a link to can have weight added to the inside of the tanks, the boiler and the bunker and depending what medium you use you could probably get it to weigh more than the white metal one.
Just wondering if you are basing your opinion on 3D printed locos to experience or hearsay?

east anglian

Not   really    I    have   3D    diesel   locomotives   and   they   are   great    both   in    looks   and   performance,    Im     old   school   and    find   it    hard   to   accept   3D   and    DCC   however   we    in   the   small    world   of   N  Gauge   must   accept   the   change    for    better    or   worse   and   support   these   small   companies   that   offer   alternative   models   that   the   big    boys   don't    produce   

njee20

Small (indeed one man) 'companies' like Graham Hughes, who are producing the J50 you're waxing lyrical about...? Meanwhile the big companies, like Dapol and Farish are making locos out of plastic, which you're saying isn't good enough. Not sure I get your point.

Still, agree to disagree, I think it's amazing that we have the option of 3D printing to help deliver prototypes you're never going to see otherwise (or are only available in kits worth a small fortune due to their rarity!), and if you want to resign them to being good only for display purposes then more fool you. :thumbsup:

Roy L S

I have two 3D printed locos, both by Stevie DC which he kindly made and finished for me. I would challenge anyone to be able to distinguish these from the best of RTR except by dint of the fact that neither loco is available as such.

One is a beautiful V3 Tank loco, this runs on a Farish N Class chassis and having replaced the traction-tyred wheelset with a plain one, without any extra weight at all, it manages 11 coaches. It isn't just about absolute weight,  it is about distribution of the weight and the balance of the chassis.

In my opinion 3D printed models are a totally credible alternative to whitemetal, brass and other media. It's horses for courses as with all things.

Roy

thebrighton

Quote from: east anglian on December 17, 2019, 05:32:55 PM
Not   really    I    have   3D    diesel   locomotives   and   they   are   great    both   in    looks   and   performance,    Im     old   school   and    find   it    hard   to   accept   3D   and    DCC   however   we    in   the   small    world   of   N  Gauge   must   accept   the   change    for    better    or   worse   and   support   these   small   companies   that   offer   alternative   models   that   the   big    boys   don't    produce
So if I'm reading you right you have decided all 3D printed locos are only fit for display solely based on you finding it hard to accept new technology despite happily using 3D prints for diesels which are fine. I'm baffled.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations