What's your favourite N Gauge layout?

Started by Candy Apple Head, July 05, 2014, 07:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnlambert

Quote from: Komata on July 08, 2014, 07:21:20 PM
Les1952

Exactly!! If our OWN  constructions aren't our favourites (if only for that moment) then what is the point?

Was going to say, "my own".  It isn't perfect, it isn't as good as other layouts but it is mine.  I get to do it my way and run what I want.  Even when I'm not playing trains I get a surprising amount of pleasure from just looking at it.  It isn't finished yet but the journey has been enjoyable so far and I don't see why it won't continue to be a source of great satisfaction.

But the next one will be even better ;)

scottmitchell74

Quote from: johnlambert on July 08, 2014, 10:44:44 PM
Quote from: Komata on July 08, 2014, 07:21:20 PM
Les1952

Exactly!! If our OWN  constructions aren't our favourites (if only for that moment) then what is the point?

Was going to say, "my own".  It isn't perfect, it isn't as good as other layouts but it is mine.  I get to do it my way and run what I want.  Even when I'm not playing trains I get a surprising amount of pleasure from just looking at it.  It isn't finished yet but the journey has been enjoyable so far and I don't see why it won't continue to be a source of great satisfaction.

But the next one will be even better ;)

Just what I was thinking! There are clearly "better" layouts all over the world, but I took ages and a lot of thought to make mine just the way I want it. It's my favorite.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Karhedron

Quote from: Roy L S on July 07, 2014, 12:19:14 PM
And a more recent one that has just occurred to me is Vale of Oxbury - lovely crisp modelling and even a bit of DCC sound!
Seconded, a beautiful example of a railway in a landscape that really showcases the strengths of N gauge.

https://flic.kr/p/fMm7m6

https://flic.kr/p/fMm6ng
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

msr

Re: Vale of Oxbury

And also what can be achieved by weathering the stock (much of which has been carried out by Tom Hardwick):
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8511-vale-of-oxbury-n-gauge/page-4

Mike

SD35

Littlewood is legendary and I can't believe it's still going strong since it first appeared in Railway Modeller.  There was a very small terminus layout in RM in the eighties called Kettlewell based on an extension to the Grassington branch.  I liked it so much I paid it the tribute of making a blatant copy although with contemporary stock.

My favourites on here are Chetcombe and Southbridge which is surprising as GWR stuff doesn't float my boat at all.

Karhedron

Quote from: SD35 on July 09, 2014, 12:50:37 PM
My favourites on here are Chetcombe and Southbridge which is surprising as GWR stuff doesn't float my boat at all.
I think that a good layout stands out regardless of period or location. We all may have our favourite subjects but I think we also recognise quality workmanship when we see it.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Anglian

Melton Mowbray North is my favourite N gauge layout that I've seen in the flesh.

(2mmFS – Chiltern Green.)

ScottyStitch

Quote from: Karhedron on July 09, 2014, 09:31:55 AM
Quote from: Roy L S on July 07, 2014, 12:19:14 PM
And a more recent one that has just occurred to me is Vale of Oxbury - lovely crisp modelling and even a bit of DCC sound!
Seconded, a beautiful example of a railway in a landscape that really showcases the strengths of N gauge.

https://flic.kr/p/fMm7m6

https://flic.kr/p/fMm6ng

Definitely my favourite I've seen in the flesh. I spent hours at it at TINGS.

Bigric

Mike (msr) - thanks for putting the mrweb link on here....MUCH appreciated !!! Ric

N Gauge Bob

How interesting that no-one has mentioned one of THE iconic layouts, Andy Calvert's Moorcock Junction...I may be a little biased as I used to own it  :-X
Shame it is not on the circuit anymore, and doubt it ever will be again.

Right now I think my favourites are Howard Stainforth's Armathwaite ('cos I was involved in it) and the best layout for me at the moment without doubt another vote for Elvinley...must rate amongst the best.

Cheers
Bob
Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

Northern Git

I was a little surprised not to see Grange-Over-Sands or Walcot Yard mentioned as they are both good and modelled on real life locations.

Newportnobby

I, too, like Grange over Sands apart from the damned seagull noises >:(
It always makes me wish I had a blunderbuss with me >:D

bridgiesimon

Another vote here for Vale of Oxbury and Moorcock Junction, a layout I had the pleure of helping operate a few years ago, thanks Bob. Awesome layout with masses of potential. Would love to have bought it but time/money/space blocked it.

Simon

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: newportnobby on August 18, 2014, 04:46:18 PM
I, too, like Grange over Sands apart from the damned seagull noises >:(
It always makes me wish I had a blunderbuss with me >:D

Only comes a close second to a flippin' gauge 1 layout I had the pleasure of exhibiting next to a while back...a tiny American layout with a loco that went round and round and round non-stop uttering 'orrible American steamy noises and whistle...God that damn whistle  :toot:  ...I had nightmares for weeks afterwards. :veryangry: :veryangry:
Sometimes I wish DCC had never been invented.
Sorry for  :offtopicsign:
Cheers
Bob
Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

Tdm

My favourite layout is one I have in my mind but haven't got the space to turn it into reality.
Oh to be rich and have a whole room dedicated to my model railway.

A long time ago when I lived in Chorley I remember being invited to a friend of my wife's bungalow in nearby Clayton-le-woods. The husband of my wife's friend ran a local Garage and his own car was a Lamborghini, and one room of his home had a massive N gauge layout in it, and it was seeing that which made me consider swapping from 00 gauge to N gauge one day.

I don't remember which I envied the most - the Lamborghini (Uracco) or the Model Railway!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations