People

Started by cycletrak9, August 31, 2013, 09:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southernboy

Hello cycletrak9,

I wonder whether ' ...the whole panoply of modern technology... '   is the problem - ie: What happened to imagination and playfulness?  Ultimately aren't railway modellers just grown up kids just playing with a train set :)

For eg:  " ... why the same bus is crossing the same bridge in a sort of time suspended dream ... "
I'd take the bus in my fingers and go 'ding ding Hold Tight Please!' and move it up the road a little :)

Likewise, when looking at my layout my eyes will focus on a particular building, or the front of a train in movement, or that train arriving at a station, or the layout as a whole - - and when I do any of those things my imagination comes into play, and my imagination can explain away any incongruity better than the most most deceitful politician or misleading newspaper reporter :)

Sorry, must dash, my psychiatrist is waiting!

weave

Hi,

Have all the passengers sitting or standing still (as mentioned before) ie, not running, Get a dictaphone and make your own train announcement...

Ding, dong, ding...'Ladies and Gentleman, we regret to announce that due to an electrical fault the doors on this train won't open and therefore no one can embark or disembark. We strongly advise all passengers to have N gauge sandwiches as this will keep happening for the foreseeable future. Also, regrettably, the bus replacement service has broken down, the cows in that field just stand there not moving anyway as do the sheep and the border collie won't move until someone says Come By. Thankyou Ladies and Gentleman, I'm off to the funny farm'.

Train departs. Simples

weave :claphappy:

ozzie Bill.

FWIW, In his book, Railway modelling the realistic way, Iain Rice suggests that you have all your people, dogs, cars etc at "rest". Thus don't have people queuing to get on the train or bus, but maybe sitting on the bench, waiting for the next train rather than the one just pulling in. Not totally realistic, but certainly does away with those "frozen" moments of people climbing stairs or running down the street. Cheers, Bill.

Luke Piewalker

Ooh!!!!  :idea:

How about a little person with one articulated leg, one moving magnet under the board drags the 'fixed' leg along, the articulated leg swings between a series of fixed magnets giving the illusion of walking!  :hmmm:

Jerry Howlett

After seveerial glasses of wine I see little people wandering all over my layout....  Trouble is I haven't bought any yet............ :laugh3:
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Trev

Any one remember Micheal Benteen's Potty Time on TV many years ago.

He always did some sort of scene in a sandbox where you could see footprints appearing when characters were supposed to be walking.
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

Southernboy

Quote from: Luke Piewalker on September 01, 2013, 02:08:53 PM
Ooh!!!!  :idea:

How about a little person with one articulated leg ...

How about something like this ... ?

http://youtu.be/ewfuFYavHP8

This is HO - but just imagine it in N gauge (or have a couple of glasses of wine as per Jerry Howlett's prescription :)  )

Agrippa

Perhaps the little people are trainspotters  who have no intention of boarding the train. :D
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Jerry Howlett

Having viewed that I may GIVE UP DRINKING!!!  Incredible.

Jerry Howlett

Just showed this clip to Mrs "H" she was impressed until I told her it was "00" she then declared it cheaty!!!

Agrippa

How about a Tour de France version  ....... :D
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

REGP

I remember in the dim and distant past (1950's ?) reading in at least one Model Rail Mag which showed you how to help passengers on the station move.

The  examples that stick in my mind are:
1 - A man exiting the Booking Hall and going to the Gents
2 - A Porter leaving his position to flag off a train and then return to a station building.

I think both were achieved by having the figure mounted on a length of wire which operated thru a slot in the base of a  buildings. The wire being fixed at one end to small turntable arrangement, so the figure returned to their start point automatically.

I stand to be corrected but I think it must have been "OO" and I cant remember if they were mechanised in any way but if so it must have by magnets (or clockwork).

Any one up for trying to do this is N?

Ray

Dorsetmike

It would need to be part of a circle, out of one door into another unless you could make then turn round, I did contemplate doing something with an old CD ejection mechanism that would give an "out and back" movement, but how do you get the figure to turn round?
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

REGP

Yes I am sure they completed a full circle

Ray

Dorsetmike

Thinking how to make something turn round when its direction is reversed, casters on furniture and supermarket trolleys etc swivel as they have an off centre pivot, maybe a porter pushing a trolley could work or a passenger with one of those wheeled cases. Horse and cart?  :hmmm:
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations