Started by dust2bin, February 24, 2019, 02:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dust2bin

:helpneededsign:

I have decided to make my own fencing using match socks and
wire  bought bag of modelling matchstick  now thats.where ia m stuck
size of drill bit any help would.be welcomed

dannyboy

Something like a 2mm should be about right, but it all depends on the size of the matchsticks. There can sometimes be a slight variation. Try a couple of tests on some scrap wood first.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

RailGooner

Hi dust2bin and welcome aboard! :wave:

Do you mean what size drill to use through the post for the wire, or as post holes for placing the finished fence? Matchsticks I have here are 2.2mm. So for my matchsticks I'd use 1mm for the wire and 2.3mm/2.4mm for post holes. HTH.

dannyboy

Quote from: RailGooner on February 24, 2019, 02:39:23 PM

Do you mean what size drill to use through the post for the wire, or as post holes for placing the finished fence?

Never thought that dust2bin might have been asking about the size of holes for the wire.  :-[

As RailGooner says - welcome to the forum dust2bin.  :thumbsup:
David.

Bealman

G'day from Australia, dust2bin, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

Dunno what Scottish matchsticks are like, but the ones we have here would be a tad overscale to use as uprights, methinks.

Anyway, welcome on board!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

chrism

Quote from: Bealman on February 24, 2019, 04:21:18 PM
G'day from Australia, dust2bin, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

Dunno what Scottish matchsticks are like, but the ones we have here would be a tad overscale to use as uprights, methinks.

Maybe they want to make an elephant compound  :bounce:

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Bealman on February 24, 2019, 04:21:18 PM

Yeah that would be my concern also. OK for OO perhaps, but for N I'd be wanting to split matchsticks in half lengthways, and get 4 fenceposts out of one stick.

For the fence wire, use the finest you can get hold of, and use a drill bit suitable for that thickness. Somewhere I have some very fine fine but reasonably stiff wire, I think it came from a dolls house shop.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

The Q

I use 0.5mm or 0.6mm square wire for the uprights and Kevlar  flyfishing thread (for making flys) for the wire on fencing.

Unfortunately I don't have the gear to drill such small holes accurately at the moment and have to wind the kevlar around and add a dab of superglue to hold it.
One day I'll have to make a jig to hold the wire fence posts and use a micro drill on a pillar so I can drill holes for the thread..

PS matchsticks would make good road gate posts..

Old Crow

Managed to get some very fine aluminium mesh off the net - goof for chain link fencing. For thin wire try net for enamelled copper wire of the type used for winding coils.

daveg

I've installed various runs of fencing and it may be handy for those that want to see some examples before they buy.

The high security fencing alongside the coaches and in front of the gas holder/gasometer is from N-SCENIC. https://n-scenic.co.uk/n-gauge-model-buildings.

The 6ft wire fencing around the scrapyard is from Ancorton available from several online shops including Hattons. https://hattonshobbies.com/

I can't remember where I got the laser etch gates from but they did come in a pack of very fine wire mesh fencing which was a real fiddle to do as the mesh itself was a sheet of soft material and laser cut posts had to be glued on individually.

Plenty of other options with many coming from laser etch suppliers, so worth having a good around.

HTH

Dave G

dannyboy

I can recommend the security fencing produced by Scale Model Scenery

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/laser-cut-2m-palisade-security-fencing--gates-150-403-p.asp

a bit fiddly to put together but it looks good when done.  :thumbsup:. It is similar in appearance to the N-Scenic fencing mentioned by daveg.
David.

Bealman

Good pics of the fencing there, Dave. Really looks the part!  :thumbsup:

PS: Don't send the hitman around (I'm still laid up anyway), but you need to dirty up that gas holder a bit  :beers:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations