Telegraph Poles

Started by lionwing, June 19, 2013, 02:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lionwing

I have recently purchased some Modelscene Telegraph Pole to include on my layout.

They are moulded in a deep brown plastic and to a point look quite natural and I'm not too sure that painting them would enhance them a great deal.

Any thoughts?

Also - while they are great looking Telegraph Poles;

I'd prefer something a little more provincial looking but Google hasn't really helped in this !
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

scotsoft

Modelscene also do these ones, but I don't quite get what you mean by provincial  :confused2:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PECO-MODELSCENE-5182-TELEGRAPH-POLES-8-off-N-GAUGE-BRAND-NEW-SEALED-/151054392177?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item232b8b1b71

Ratio, Kestrel and Model Power plus others all do telegraph poles  ;)

cheers John.

lionwing

Thank you for the reply.

I think by provincial I mean less capacity to carry lots of wires.

Just perhaps suited to holding four wires or so.

The link you sent looks a little more suited.

scotsoft

If you bought some of the ones in the link I gave, you could cut the horizontals off and glue them to cocktail sticks.
So for a pack of 8 poles you would end up with 32 poles each carrying 4 wires  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

trainsdownunder

Have you had a look at thes.

I have some on order and will post pics when they arrive. http://www.hlj.com/product/TMT22153

Tom@Crewe

On average what is the distance between the poles?

lionwing

Thanks for the link.  They look excellent.

I think the distance between poles varies for all sorts of reasons.  I'd take a guess at 100/150 ft ish?

CarriageShed

Quote from: Tom@Crewe on June 20, 2013, 07:08:08 AM

There has been a discussion on a 'rival' forum about the distancing - I managed to find with a quick Google search. Hopefully it should help:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/24199-how-far-between-telegraph-poles/

Newportnobby

Half of the circumference of the earth?? :dunce:

H

Quote from: Only Me on June 20, 2013, 08:54:27 AM

Rightly or wrongly I spread each of my telegraph poles two pole lengths apart on my layout and they look pretty good.....

So they're poles apart . . . . . . :D

H.

Newportnobby

Quote from: H on June 20, 2013, 08:56:08 PM
Quote from: Only Me on June 20, 2013, 08:54:27 AM

Rightly or wrongly I spread each of my telegraph poles two pole lengths apart on my layout and they look pretty good.....

So they're poles apart . . . . . . :D

H.

Or Mr & Mrs Stanislawski getting a divorce :doh:

EtchedPixels

Quote from: newportnobby on June 20, 2013, 05:06:29 PM

No because the earth isn't a sphere and the circumference of the earth is traditionally considered to be along the equator. (It's not a constant anyway of course!)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Newportnobby

Quote from: EtchedPixels on June 20, 2013, 09:06:37 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on June 20, 2013, 05:06:29 PM

No because the earth isn't a sphere and the circumference of the earth is traditionally considered to be along the equator. (It's not a constant anyway of course!)

Thank goodness. I thought for one moment you believed I was being serious, Alan :laugh:

JKModeller

Hi lionwing,

Not sure whether it's too late but I used these telegraph poles on one of my layouts. The crossarms are easy to cut to whatever size you want them. I would recommend shortening the height of the pole slightly to make it look more realistic.

To add further detail, you could paint the insulators on the crossarms. The common colors of them were white, brown and black.

If you have a mainline section, you could cut the crossarms to have six total insulators on the top arm and four total on the rest. In this arrangement is was common for the extra two outer insulators on the top arm to be red in color, this indicated a circuit which was a higher voltage to the rest.

For even more detail (if you want) you could add guy wires to the poles. These went down at an angle of about 45° depending on their location. They were mainly used on terminal poles and poles which changed the line's direction. I've started doing this with thin metal wire and it works quite well, despite being fiddly at time.

You could also add wires using fine black thread, but I would only do that if you have a small amount of insulators. But don't add wires if they are in front of the tracks as they may obstruct the tracks if a locomotive or carriage derails.

Hope some of this helps.

JKModeller  (Jake)

:Class31: :Carriage:
Happy N Gauge Modelling Everyone!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations