Whats in Your Tool Box?

Started by kirky, December 01, 2019, 11:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

My bungalow is my toolbox and I have railway bits in every room except the bathroom. Even then, I might have squirrelled something away in there :uneasy:
I do try to keep track of essential tools or I find I'll believe I haven't got that 'necessary bit' and end up buying another one only to find the original later that day :doh:
There's no doubt I have way too much 'stuff' and there is also no doubt I have 'all the gear and no idea' :-[

monkey_brains

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 02, 2019, 10:07:04 AM
There's no doubt I have way too much 'stuff' [

It sounds like you are quoting my wife there

Strange how she goes quiet when the random tool or screw suddenly fixes something broken in the home!
A keen modern image modeller in N Gauge, the latest creation I am working on is Cottingfield - an N Gauge Rule 1 Layout

Plotting has started on a DC controlled layout for the trains I can't easily convert to DCC North Wroxham - an N Gauge Modern Era Layout

railsquid

Quote from: kirky on December 01, 2019, 11:28:42 AM
Would people care to post pictures of their tool boxes and more importantly, tool box contents?
I would imagine there are some lovely little gems of tools that people have that you would never imagine have a place in an Ngauge tool box.

In the spirit of the original post, here's the contents of the Railsquid Motive Power Repair and Light Detailing Department's collection of tools'n'bits, scrounged together from their various hiding places:

tools by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Missing from the picture is the gear puller. (Yes, I do own some Graham Farish locomotives, why do you ask?)

This thread from the start of the decade may also be of interest:
What's the best tool in your modelling toolbox and why

railsquid

Quote from: railsquid on December 03, 2019, 01:22:34 PM
Missing from the picture is the gear puller. (Yes, I do own some Graham Farish locomotives, why do you ask?)

While looking for the gear puller it occurred to me there's a bunch of other stuff which sees a lot of use:

more tools by Rail Squid, on Flickr

(said gear puller at the top, hard to see because of the light from the desk lamp, which fell off the back of a lorry, figuratively speaking, at Mrs. Railsquid's workplace once).

Newportnobby

Wot - no hammer? :o

Actually, thinking about it the biggest tool in my toolbox is me :-[

kirky

Thanks for that @railsquid. Very interesting that.
Whats in the bottle top right - picture one?
Whats that blue handle thing in picture one?

Thanks for posting.
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

dannyboy

I am with @Newportnobby  except Louisa has been known to ask why is there a little paintbrush in the bathroom and "what's this thing!" (Pipette). So of course I tell her that they are there drying as they needed washing.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

railsquid

Quote from: kirky on December 04, 2019, 09:07:55 PM

Whats in the bottle top right - picture one?

Kato Unicleaner (24-020) which I use for wheel and track cleaning purposes; is probably IPA or a close relative thereof.

Quote from: kirky on December 04, 2019, 09:07:55 PM

Whats that blue handle thing in picture one?

That has a thin metal wedge which is useful for sliding between plastic parts, for example when removing  a locomotive body.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations