Videos of Exhibition Layouts

Started by LASteve, April 09, 2019, 11:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LASteve

Quote from: Chris Morris on April 10, 2019, 05:52:12 PM
So there I was just ten minutes before the show opens and some bloke comes up to me with a microphone and his mate had got a camcorder....

That's a little more like what I was talking about. I do respect everyone's opinions on this, I'm not sure I'm entirely on board with
Quote from: PLD on April 10, 2019, 07:54:24 AM
As an Exhibitor, the priority is to put on a show for all those visitors who have paid good money to enter the show, NOT to stop to give all your attention to one individual who sticks an unexpected (and unwanted) video camera in your face for the benefit of someone on the net who has not contributed to the exhibition.

If you want a properly staged video with commentary/interviews then we can arrange a private filming session in return for an appropriate appearance fee...

I'm not suggesting that the exhibitors should ignore what they're doing. Perhaps a "press" hour before general admission?

This would help though:

Quote from: martyn on April 10, 2019, 07:48:10 PM
Perhaps the person making the video could read out the 'blurb', or a relevant part of it, about the layout that is usually present in the exhibition guide?

Martyn

Thanks again for the responses, but I don't feel guilty for not "contributing" to the exhibition because I'm not physically present. I thought that was mean. I'm only in this hobby because of inspiration from exhibition videos and ideas, and great advice from this forum and membership of the NGS. I've certainly spent enough since to make a number of online and brick-and-mortar retailers happy. I think I've spent "good money". I was really surprised by that reply.

LASteve

Quote from: PLD on April 10, 2019, 07:54:24 AM
If these videos were taken on spec during normal opening times at a public exhibition it's quite simple

As an Exhibitor, the priority is to put on a show for all those visitors who have paid good money to enter the show, NOT to stop to give all your attention to one individual who sticks an unexpected (and unwanted) video camera in your face for the benefit of someone on the net who has not contributed to the exhibition.

If you want a properly staged video with commentary/interviews then we can arrange a private filming session in return for an appropriate appearance fee...

Wow. That's pretty harsh. Thanks for being one of those helpful people who like to grow the hobby.

PLD

Quote from: LASteve on April 11, 2019, 03:40:43 AM
I'm not suggesting that the exhibitors should ignore what they're doing. Perhaps a "press" hour before general admission?
So you expect exhibitors (who are entirely unpaid and do it in their spare time to promote the hobby) to get up an hour earlier and work for an hour longer for the benefit of someone who has not made any contribution to the exhibition??
Most exhibitions open to the public at 9:30 or 10:00, so your "press hour" would  have to start at 8:30 or 9:00. Given travel and set-up time, with some layouts that could easily mean a 5:00am start and 18 hour day. Do you really think it is reasonable to demand that of unpaid volunteers??

Then who do you class as 'press' - those videos on You-tube are not some all singing all dancing professional production - they are just as someone said "an ordinary bloke with his phone or pocket camera recording it and sharing it". Do you want us to advertise "rock up an hour early wave your phone at us and we'll let you in for free and force the exhibitors to perform for you"

Quote from: LASteve on April 11, 2019, 03:40:43 AMThanks again for the responses, but I don't feel guilty for not "contributing" to the exhibition
Selfish... arrogant...

Railwaygun

Gentlemen please - calm down or this thread will be locked.

Robomod
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

silly moo

I thought I was on RMWeb for a minute.

njee20

I can see both sides of the coin. I think it's unrealistic for people to turn up early for a "media hour" or anything of that ilk, these are hobbyists giving up their spare time, not professionals who are used to PR engagements. If you want professional videos, or even videos that are more than just a moving picture, then find vlogs on YouTube of people showing their layout, like Everard Junction (which is OO I know). It would be unfair to foist that on all exhibitors.

Conversely I understand that it's good to see these layouts, and as there's a clear geographical divide which makes attendance difficult you are effectively looking for someone to ask the questions which you may have done so were you there in person, you want a virtual tour of the exhibition, not simply to see the layout without context. I don't think there's a realistic solution to that however!

Newportnobby

Taken from the forum Rules of Conduct....

f)  Do not deliberately make contentious or argumentative posts. The forum is not Speakers Corner and the forum rules apply to maintain a convivial atmosphere. Flagrant breach will result in suspension from the forum and possibly a ban.

Many sides of the coin are possible. Well, not really but you know what I mean.
Expressing an opinion is one thing. Making it personal is another.

snitchthebudgie

I'm rather reluctantly contributing to this discussion as NGSE Exhibition manager, and expecting to be banned or just lynched by the excited people on this thread   :help:

I asked Brian to be 'official photographer' - really just to float round and take a few shots and videos as I knew that we'd all be busy. From his videos of club nights, I knew that he knew one end of the camera from the other and would give us something acceptable.  I thought that the cube camera did allow some rather different views of the layouts, and at least he gave us a record of the day, and a flavour of the show for those who couldn't get there.

And I can only reinforce some of the above comments about the practicality of taking 'professional' shots at shows.  I must have done my 10,000 steps several times over on Saturday  trotting around, and most of the operators were fully occupied before the show actually getting something moving.  It's just too hectic.  I recall one show I went to where there was a professional with lights and camera taking a video of the day.  For the visiting punter it was a disaster.  Nothing ran (except when commanded by the artistic director) on the layout, especially when he was getting flattering mug shots of the builder.  Also, the cameraman was more lethal than a brace of TINGS backpacks with all his gear.  I quickly moved on and probably missed a good layout.

I'm afraid that these video posts are like most things on this forum - enjoy if you are into them, or quickly move on.  I guess that it's 'Rule 1' applied to the internet!

Hope that makes some sense to all sides of the discussion!  Jon

Bob Tidbury

I don't have a car now and would love to go to more shows than I do get to with Ray and the B H E stand ,SO  I really appreciate someone taking videos or stills of the layouts  and the only thing I can add to this debate is it would be nice to know the name of the layout in the photo or video as sometimes it's one I haven't seen before .I do have a small camera but being on the stand at shows it's sometimes impossible to get round to see all of the layouts ,as we have to be there to serve customers  ,and the operators of layouts at shows don't get a break to see other people layouts so anything that is posted on here is worth looking at wether  it has comments ,sound or just a photo or video ,
Just my own views on the matter .
Bob Tidbury

Buzzard

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on April 11, 2019, 04:09:27 PMthe only thing I can add to this debate is it would be nice to know the name of the layout in the photo or video as sometimes it's one I haven't seen before
Not all shows offer the punters a guide and not all layouts have a name badge.

I suppose the photographer could always ask, but that's another can of worms.

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on April 11, 2019, 04:09:27 PMbut being on the stand at shows it's sometimes impossible to get round to see all of the layouts ,as we have to be there to serve customers  ,and the operators of layouts at shows don't get a break to see other people layouts
Well you should do the same as a chap I've seen who despite single-manning a layout just walks away from time to time to shoot some video.

Southerngooner

The videos made by DCC125 from many shows seem to be OK to me, they give a good guide to a show and are not too badly done. They at least tell you which layouts are featured and often run to a good length. We were filmed at Farnham last year with "James Street" by Steam and Model Railway channel, who filmed all the layouts. They chatted to our dock operator who sits outside the layout and therefore doesn't affect main operational matters when he stops. Normally that is Steve, the layout's owner and font of all knowledge, but when they filmed it was another operator who did well to talk about the layout but made a few minor faux pas's.

I think these videos are great for people who can't get to shows that often (lime me here in France...) and I don't get worried or wound up when they film us operating. Other members of the public often stop us to ask questions but that is why we are there, to help and guide as well as entertain. If all operators sat back and said nothing then how would you pass knowledge on?
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

PostModN66

I would be well up to answer questions on a video at exhibitions.  We could do it "round the back" to avoid distracting other punters, no problem!

I would have three caveats:

- Not in the first hour of operation; it is always a frantic time getting the layout to run well
- Shoot my best side (actually the best end, i.e. not my big belly!)
- Don't use my full name in the video or the title (I fear Google, big data and the cloud!)

Cheers Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Chris Morris

I think those of us with exhibition layouts should consider making a YouTube video where we talk to the camera and say what our layout is all about. Not all of us will want to do this but I can see it could add interesting information for many people who like to see exhibition layouts. It would a useful ink to add to exhibition websites.

I might give it a try.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

moogle

From experience as an operator, it can be hard to chat to people and operate properly. Certainly with an end to end layout. A bit easier with tail chasers! Answering questions, be it whilst filming or not, is part and parcel of exhibiting. But, you are there to entertain, not do an in depth interview...
As Southergooner said  Steam and Model Railway channel on YouTube do ask questions on film. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCInx0jzrzuvQv2kIcVKD91w/videos
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

martyn

Reply #27; Chris;

'James St' is designed to be viewable on all four sides, and though Steve can run the layout at home, because of its size some scenery boards can't be fitted when at home, and the layout is only viewable from one side, the front/James St terminus and loco yard side.

To do what you suggest, though I think it may be a good idea, means that he/we would have to find a suitable hall, erect, display, film, and dismantle. Then comes a small problem that the operators live spread apart from Suffolk via Essex and London to Sussex, and one across the Channel in France; so whilst it may be a good idea, it is unlikely to be practical.

We do have the luxury (?) of multiple operators, though each has his own section to operate, with usually three operating on the 'public' side of the layout; so usually at least one can answer questions. As Southerngooner said previously, Steve, the owner, is usually one of those operating outside the layout operating an independent shunting yard, and so can answer public, and also potential exhibition managers', questions, without seriously affecting the main layout. But many layouts/operators do not have this facility.

But there are those who just do not want to appear on camera being interviewed, for their own personal reasons, even though they are perfectly willing to operate the layout.

I'm willing to answer questions about the layout, especially my own stock or the ships, cranes, and other things that I've modelled in the harbour, but I try and ensure that I wait until I've finished whatever move I'm doing, to avoid incidents.

There may not be an easy solution to this question, IMHO.

Martyn

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations