Plausible or not?

Started by Newportnobby, June 26, 2020, 10:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crewearpley40

Mick . How is this .... your 1960s or early 60s train from north of crewe could have travelled via warrington  , reversed at chester then via Wrexham, shrewsbury  Wolverhampton  , Birmingham snow hill, via leamington, banbury to join the cherwell valley line to didcot  then onto the didcot, newbury , Southampton railway which was closed in 1962 totally.Where lms locos would have been removed in favour of gwr by chester and western locos to reading. Or plausible..   crewe  Stafford, rugeley and the new street avoiding line onto camp hill junction  , which the train passes towards tyseley, edgbaston, which connects onto the leamington to oxford line and avoids new street

Newportnobby

Strewth! I know it's a sleeper train but not for more than one night! :D

crewearpley40

The pines express would have taken the birmingham avoiding route. Only an idea mick

jamespetts

There was a sleeper train passing Oxford in the mid/late 1980s and early 1990s; it was the night version of the Poole to Glasgow service. I believe that it originated at Glasgow and Edinburgh, combined somewhere, and split at Birmingham - I am not sure where the other portion went. The Birmingham to Poole portion, which ran via Oxford, was only four carriages, two sleepers, one catering day car and one brake, and by this time used mk. 3 sleepers and an air-conditioned mk. 2 day car, but if one is using one's imagination, one can envisage a similar service in earlier times with earlier stock.
Peertube > Youtube

Newportnobby

Quote from: jamespetts on July 20, 2020, 12:35:16 PM
if one is using one's imagination, one can envisage a similar service in earlier times with earlier stock.

Imagination, my  :moony:
I actually made a prediction which came true!

Andy-S

Don't forget that in the 1980's the sleeper still ran from Glasgow - Bristol TM and vv over the weekend.

On Saturday night / Sunday mornings, this train was regularly subject to diversions due to engineering work, rather than giving up like modern day TOC's.

This train usually ended up for some Sundays running from New St - Bristol via Leamington, Oxford, Foxhall Curve and Bath, will calls again many places en route including Swindon and Bath.

Other diversions would take it to Severn Tunnel Jcn, to run round. Further north there were also many interesting diversions, with diesels replacing or dragging AC electrics.

crewearpley40

I'm sure mick is modelling his sleeper service back in the 50s / 60s but everything is and can be plausible

gc4946

Until 1967 there was a nightly sleeper from Paddington to Birkenhead Woodside. The sleeper would have been routed via High Wycombe and Bicester but don't know if it was diverted via Oxford if there was engineering works on the GW & GC Joint
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations