The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik

quote author=class37025 link=topic=659.msg659508#msg659508 date=1596823487]
has anyone noticed that when you try to ring the numbers back, BT tells you the number is not recognised  :hmmm:
[/quote]

Never try to ring the numbers back (or any phone number you don't recognise) as one of the standard scams is doing this to get you to ring a premium rate number.

red_death

I thought that you had to wait 28 days after posting to make a claim from RM? Has that changed?

Either way depending on local circumstances I wouldn't give up hope yet - we've had a few parcels take a substantially longer time than 2-3 days (the odd one longer than 14 days) for second signed for. But it has been entirely unpredictable and doesn't help in trying to work out what has happened as it depends on each stage of the RM that the parcel goes through and some have been hit much worse than others.

guest311

WHAT IS IT WITH ROYAL MAIL  :veryangry:

waiting for a parcel from Hong Kong, last one arrived 10 days after being sent.

this one was doing quite well till I checked the tracking number this morning....

7 Aug 2020
8:36pm
In Transit-Sorry your item went to Inward RDC in error so we re-routed it immediately. More information will be available as it travels through our network.

7 Aug 2020
4:22pm
We've got it-We have your item at Outward RDC and its on its way. More information will be available as it travels through our network.

6 Aug 2020
6:30pm
Received-Royal Mail Received

are they trying to send it back ???

I thought that you had to wait 28 days after posting to make a claim from RM? Has that changed?

seems to depend on which person you speak to at RM customer services, or the web site which says 10 working days after due delivery date.

thinking  :beers: in a brewery  :hmmm:

by the way, item sent 23rd July still not received, but the one sent Thursday arrived this morning.

wondering if the way to go is special delivery, a couple of pounds more but next day guaranteed, and tracked through the system, so at least they can tell where to look when it gets lost.

stevewalker

My car is currently dead, due to a sudden failure of the battery. It was working fine last week, parked up after an hour's drive and then sat for a week and would not even unlock. Manually unlocking it and jump starting it worked, I drove it and the alternator was delivering a good voltage, but the battery was totally dead again the next day. This afternoon, I borrowed my wife's car and drove to Eurocarparts for a battery (I had to go to another town as the local branch doesn't open on Sundays, despite being the larger town).

I got home, put the battery on the car and it was still dead. Checked with my meter and it was showing 5.8V - a completely duff battery. Phoned the shop, only to be told that they can't deliver a replacement as they don't deliver to my area and I need to contact my local branch (who will likely refuse to swap it as they are nothing to do with the sale) and of course, as they are not open today, that means me taking time out of my working day to sort the problem out.

As a "quality" battery (Exide Excel) I'd normally expect the battery to have a plastic cover on the positive terminal to prevent accidental shorts in stock and transit and a label saying when to recharge by if it is still in stock, but neither are present, so I have a suspicion that they've accidentally sold me a battery that they've removed from a vehicle when fitting a new one.

I am however fuming that they expect me to sort it out now, instead of just sticking another one in a taxi and having it delivered today - as it was impossible for me to get back to them before they shut for the day (plus I don't see why I should be wasting my time and fuel to sort out their mistake).

I am seriously considering sending them an invoice for any work hours I lose tomorrow - at my normal rate of £45 per hour + VAT.

Meanwhile, I have a car on the drive that not only cannot be used, but I cannot unlock the boot until I have a good battery and it is full of stuff that I need to get out - I can access it through the back seats, but it is very awkward and, having injured my arm, is too much of a strain for getting the heavy items out.

Malc

In the past, I have temporarily fixed a dead battery by giving it a series of taps with a rubber mallet. Lead Sulphide can build up on a plate and prevent the acid getting in contact with the plate. Giving it a few belts with a rubber mallet can disturbed the coating and restore the battery.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

themadhippy

why cant you  jump the dead car off the wives car to open the  boot?
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

guest311

just remember to keep the two cars running for a while.

back when on the AA went out to a guy who was 'in a rush', but had got a flat battery a mile or so from home.

"just jump start it, had to get a mate to do it at home to let me get to work"

:hmmm:

"did you leave them both running for a while ?"

"No, as soon as started, leads off and left for work"

:'(

got my jump leads on, started his car left it running for a while, noted red alternator light on...

"that came on as soon as I left home"

carried out checks, and gave him the good news ....

"Alternator gone"

always used to charge on my leads for a while, then start the 'flat' car, run a while longer, turn of his, then my leads.

then start his car with his battery, and carry out charging checks.

showed
1. his battery taking a charge
2. his alternator working.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: class37025 on August 09, 2020, 05:23:19 PM
just remember to keep the two cars running for a while.

back when on the AA went out to a guy who was 'in a rush', but had got a flat battery a mile or so from home.

"just jump start it, had to get a mate to do it at home to let me get to work"

:hmmm:

"did you leave them both running for a while ?"

"No, as soon as started, leads off and left for work"

:'(

got my jump leads on, started his car left it running for a while, noted red alternator light on...

"that came on as soon as I left home"

carried out checks, and gave him the good news ....

"Alternator gone"

always used to charge on my leads for a while, then start the 'flat' car, run a while longer, turn of his, then my leads.

then start his car with his battery, and carry out charging checks.

showed
1. his battery taking a charge
2. his alternator working.

All very sound advice.

And may I had some more from my youthful days with my second car (1st I have bought myself).

Driving home, hear "boing", battery light come on.

Pull over (engine still running) poke about, note "rag" wrapped around front right.

Remove rag, get home.

Due to visit mate later on, car refuses to start.

Get said mate with posh VXR to jump me (steady!) and make it to a Halfords to get battery checked (didn't have a meter).

New battery bought as old one was "broken".

Get to mates house.

Go to leave mates house later, won't start.

AA turn up.

Lifts bonnet, laughs, closes bonnet.

Yep, that "rag" was my fan belt.

2x Aero engineers failed to spot it had gone ping.

:dunce:

Skyline2uk

stevewalker

Quote from: themadhippy on August 09, 2020, 04:42:44 PM
why cant you  jump the dead car off the wives car to open the  boot?

Because the leads won't reach without me having to move my car and with me in a lot of pain (badly arthritic knees and standing for 12 hours a day throughout last week, plus having injured my arm, my son having sprained his wrist and my wife being disabled), pushing it out onto the road and into a safe place is not currently practical.

Malc

Can you just swap batteries for a while?
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

zwilnik

Not so handy for solving the current situation immediately, but for future problems having one of these on hand is always useful. It'll jump start your car when you need it and you can use it to keep your phones charged too :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arteck-External-Automotive-Motorcycle-Flashlight/dp/B07SBMKMRR/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=battery+jump+starter+pack&qid=1596993444&sr=8-21

stevewalker

Quote from: Malc on August 09, 2020, 06:06:44 PM
Can you just swap batteries for a while?

Not exactly. Hers is a tiny thing with miniature posts and so can't be fitted to mine. I have now removed her battery and used jump leads to connect it to mine so as to operate the locks. That has allowed me to remove the heavy items that I couldn't get out through the back seats, but more importantly it has allowed me to lock the doors, which were all open and three of which do not have any way of locking them other than via the central locking! I'm just really annoyed at having to go through all this messing about and having lost the afternoon, because they sold me a battery that is either a removed, failed one or has been in storage for years without recharging - and in either case is shot. I had other things to get done today and have lost the opportunity now.

I probably wouldn't be making such a fuss, except that I am in a lot of pain at the moment and it's hard enough to get anything done, without wasting time and effort due to someone else's mess up.

stevewalker

Quote from: zwilnik on August 09, 2020, 06:19:41 PM
Not so handy for solving the current situation immediately, but for future problems having one of these on hand is always useful. It'll jump start your car when you need it and you can use it to keep your phones charged too :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arteck-External-Automotive-Motorcycle-Flashlight/dp/B07SBMKMRR/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=battery+jump+starter+pack&qid=1596993444&sr=8-21

I actually borrowed one of those first of all, but typically for rechargeable items, it was flat when it was needed.

lil chris

I called in a Morrisons for petrol on the way home on friday and a Range rover was broken down on one of the pumps, the lady had called the RAC and they turned up, the young mecanic was about to try to jump start the car till the petrol attendant who was on the ball informed them they could not jump start a car on a petrol forecourt, it was dangerous.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

lil chris

Bit angry myself today with this covid lockdown buisness. Here in M/cr we are in a partial lockdown but I am sick of seeing others who think the rules do not apply to them. In and out of houses as if it does not apply to them, young ones in groups of ten or more, rant over.........
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations