Backup startegies/software

Started by Nick, July 06, 2017, 03:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I posted a thread yesterday about network speeds, and in that @ntpntpntp mentioned backups, which has prompted me to raise a separate question.

What backup strategies and software do people use/recommend?

I am in the middle of doing a whole heap of overdue PC housekeeping, as a result of the PC's health being forced up my agenda by a series of random boot failures, which turned out to be due to a failing memory stick. I didn't lose any data in the process, but in reviewing things, I realised that my existing backup process wasn't functioning properly. I have been using Windows FileHistory for a good while now, and been happy with it - but I discovered that it had silently stopped tracking changes in a key file of mine (my Lightroom catalog). I also take system images occasionally, probably less frequently than I should.

I have probably about 750Gb - 1Tb or so of data files. Much of that total, half or more, is in static data - original images from cameras, music files etc. Some of that is readily segregated into easily identifiable folders, but other static data (notably past work files) isn't so easily separable. I use OneDrive for some things, but I'm conscious that the automatic syncing of local and cloud OneDrive files isn't a true backup - OneDrive only versions Office files, and if local files are corrupted or lost for whatever reason, that damage automatically propagates into the cloud copies.

So what do others do? How do you organise your files and what software do you use? I liked FileHistory because it was very much "fire and forget", and it produces backup files which are  simple copies and can be used by other software directly if the need arises. I'm not a huge fan of programs that wrap your backups into proprietary file formats that may or may not be readable when you come to restore. Been there, done that, cried the tears...

Open to suggestions...
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

austinbob

I have about 100Gb of personal files (photos, documents etc.) which is stored on a B: drive on my computer and all my programs and OS on C: drive. I have a 3Tb GoFlex backup drive.
I use Acronis software for my auto backups. A PC backup which backs up everything once a month (C: and B: drives). Each new PC backup deletes the old backup.
I have a daily backup of my B: drive important data (not everything). The daily back up is a full backup of my chosen files with an incremental backup for 6 days. Once a months worth of daily backups have been done the earliest backup is deleted. This means I always have a months backups of all the different file versions of my chosen files. Acronis makes it very easy to select which versions you want to recover.

I also have a BT cloud backup for all my B: drive and some of the important system files on C: drive.

Never had to use a backup yet but glad I have the option should disaster strike.
:beers:

Additional information.
I don't encrypt the Acronis backups so you can actually open the backups in Windows explorer and recover them that way - takes a long time to get to the files you want though (minutes).
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

ntpntpntp

I've tried a few PC backup packages and not been totally impressed,  they've missed files and/or have slowed the systems down.

Instead of backing up PCs, I encourage everyone in the household to store important files on our 2TB Goflex Home NAS.

Once a month (ish) I hook up my laptop to wired gigabit Ethernet and back-up the Goflex Home to a USB3 connected 2TB drive, using a batch file and robocopy /MIR to mirror all changes to the public area and each user's personal area in turn, to the backup drive. 

The back up drive is then stored out of the house.  I keep two back up drives and cycle between them. 

The 2TB NAS is getting quite full these days, it's probably time to consider either a second NAS or a single larger NAS.  I prefer the idea of two separate NAS boxes, once will become purely a DLNA media server and the other for data storage etc.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

austinbob

Well my experience of Acronis True Image is that its rock solid, simple to use and once set up you can forget about it. And no I don't work for Acronis.
You obviously know a bit about computing and I'm sure you have a backup strategy which works for you.
Most of us want something you set up and forget until you need it. KISS...
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

themadhippy

no use  for fancy software here just the simple command tar cvpjf backup.tar.bz2 --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tar.bz2 --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys /
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

austinbob

Quote from: themadhippy on July 06, 2017, 06:56:01 PM
no use  for fancy software here just the simple command tar cvpjf backup.tar.bz2 --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tar.bz2 --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys /
So what does all that mean????
What are you backing up, how often, to what and how do you get it back.
Not for your average punter perhaps!! :hmmm: :)

Bob Austin

themadhippy

its the joys of linux,you end up with a full back up of the entire o/s,i have it set to automaticly run on the first of the month,to get everything back  tar xvpfz backup.tgz -C /

keithfre

I use Norton Ghost for my C: drive, with the system and programs, to an external HD. My data files on D: I backup manually to the external HD. Ideally I ought to disconnect when not actually backing up, but while working I'm using it regularly to back up my work every few minutes.

austinbob

Quote from: themadhippy on July 06, 2017, 07:10:11 PM
its the joys of linux,you end up with a full back up of the entire o/s,i have it set to automaticly run on the first of the month,to get everything back  tar xvpfz backup.tgz -C /
OK themadhippy that's very interesting for the very small minority of punters that use Linux. Without wanting to start a 'my operating system is the best in the world war' 90 plus% of the population use Windows and and less than 10% use MAC.
So maybe we should focus on the best solution for mst people.
Sorry mate....
:) :beers:

Bob Austin

themadhippy

The original question asked
QuoteWhat backup strategies and software do people use/recommend?
no mention of operating system ,and thats   my backup strategy

Kaian

My strategy is anything on local disk is temporary and subject to removal at any time. Anything I work on, want copies of, or want to keep I use on my Google Drive account.

This also allows me to use these documents/files anywhere I go.
Craig

ntpntpntp

Getting the family to store stuff on our central NAS rather than the PCs means anyone can use any of our laptops or desktops and get to their stuff.   Having it also act as a media server is great for streaming music and videos to music players and smart TVs.

I suppose having started my working career in IT as a system operator back in the 80s has coloured my requirements for backups in that I wanted a reasonable off-site backup strategy, as described in my earlier post.  It's all very well backing up a PC to a compressed file or a 2nd hard disc, but if your house goes up in smoke with your computer and drive inside then you've lost the lot.  Hence the backups I take of our NAS are kept somewhere else.   

Funnily enough I don't worry so much about regularly imaging the PC operating systems. I take an image when a new system is bought or the OS has a major upgrade so that I have  a baseline, but mostly I'm happy to rebuild/re-install software and take an opportunity to tidy up and drop old redundant stuff.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

austinbob

You're right of course this is a friendly forum. I have nothing against Linux or any other OS. Just trying to indicate that most people (99%) would appreciate advice on the most commonly used backup systems for the most commonly used OS's namely mostly Windows followed by MAC.
Obscure command lines for Linux backups have limited appeal and to my mind confuse the issue for the majority of Forum members.
That's not to say that Linux users should not post their backup preferences but they should bear in mind what the majority are interested in and avoid confusing the issue.

Bob Austin

Papyrus

I use Windows File History for regular quick backups to memory sticks which I keep away from the house. Every couple of months I copy and paste all my important files to an external hard drive.

I will not use any form of cloud storage. In essence, it's only somebody else's computer, somewhere in the world, which could be hacked into. I know people have uploaded stuff to the cloud and not been able to get it back again. I'm not willing to take the risk - I'd rather have any backup under my personal control.

Cheers,

Chris

themadhippy

wise man say, A backup  is only proved good  when you have used it to restore

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30%