"Save as" folder changes!

Started by petercharlesfagg, August 02, 2014, 09:08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

OS XP Pro.

Up until last Wednesday if I wanted to save an image to my separate HD, all I needed to do was  Right Click>"save image as">locate folder>"save".

The next time, without closing the internet connection, I could select "Save image as" and I would be taken directly to the folder I had used not 10 minutes previously!

Now, every time I click on "Save image as" I have to locate the folder anew for every picture!

Is there some form of locking system?

Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Malc

Hi Peter, are you using a propriety program when you are saving as?
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: Malc on August 02, 2014, 09:30:20 AM
Hi Peter, are you using a propriety program when you are saving as?

Malcolm, by proprietary, do you mean a different program,me to the one already included in the package?

If that is the caase then, no. 

Using, Right click >save image as>I get a box entitled "save as" with the immediate option being given as "Downloads" whereas up until Wednesday I would get the same option but if I selected another folder the system remembered that location for the next instance of "Save as"!

Peter.

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

Malc

Hi Peter, so what did you do to the PC on Wednesday?

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: Malc on August 02, 2014, 09:48:00 AM
Hi Peter, so what did you do to the PC on Wednesday?

We had a power cut!  I do not DO anything to the computer, it is on loan from my stepson!  Peter.

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

I have gone to "Tools"> "Folder options">Reset defaults, and it makes no difference!

cjdodd

OK open internet explorer and save an image to the folder you want, while IE is open any page you then open up or any extra tab will save to that folder.

If you open several tabs before you save the first image it will treat each one as new and default to the default folder and not the one you want, so rule is save one first, then open the rest.

There is also a program called CCleaner, that has an option to clean up things like save location back to defaults, which then might in turn fix your issue of saving where you want to.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: cjdodd on August 02, 2014, 04:51:53 PM
OK open internet explorer and save an image to the folder you want, while IE is open any page you then open up or any extra tab will save to that folder.

If you open several tabs before you save the first image it will treat each one as new and default to the default folder and not the one you want, so rule is save one first, then open the rest.

There is also a program called CCleaner, that has an option to clean up things like save location back to defaults, which then might in turn fix your issue of saving where you want to.

Thankyou, I use Ccleaner on a regular basis but it has not returned the "Save as" to the state I would like!  I do not use IE at all, it is SO slow!  I have been using Chrome for about a year now!

There are not more tabs open, it is usually when I am on the forum here or elsewhere and I want to save images, then I get the reversion to "Downloads" instead of the folder where I saved the original file. 

Hope this clarifies?  Peter.

MalcolmInN

Hi Peter, a bit of a mystery indeed !
By "separate HD" do you mean a USB external HD ? If so then :-

Does this only happen when you select a location on your external HD (*1) ?
Have you tried selecting and saving to a folder on your main ( C: ) drive and if so does this problem persist (*2) ?

(*1) The reason I ask is that I have a wobbly USB port and sometimes the externalHD gets lost to the system, then the default save location reverts to a root folder somewhere on the internal ( C: ) tree depending upon the user ( I cant remember if XP has only one default user - ie. you ! ) Then I have to go find my desired location all over again.

If (*2) applies then forget all that and we go back to head-scratching !! :)

trainsdownunder

QuoteOK open internet explorer and save an image to the folder you want, while IE is open any page you then open up or any extra tab will save to that folder.

Same should apply to Chrome. Do a "save image as" once and the browser should remember and continue to use that path until a change is made.

Malc

As MalcolmAL says, try to a folder on the C drive. Also try mapping your external HD as a drive letter, say Z.

MalcolmInN

My thinking was that if there is an intermittent problem with the extHD it may still appear in the tree when you look with WindowsExplorer, however it may have gone away and come back ! thus confusing the "save as" default.
Does that make sense ?

So yes, we need to see what happens with the C: drive , , ,

petercharlesfagg

Update:-

I have discovered that the external HD has decided that ALL sub-folders are not legitimate "Save as" pathways!

Any suggestions as to how I should return this option to my sub-folders?

It used to work quite happily but will not do so since the power cut!

Peter.

Malc

Open the HD, right click on the folder and have a look at the options. You may not have the right to write to the folder.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: Malc on August 10, 2014, 10:41:16 AM
Open the HD, right click on the folder and have a look at the options. You may not have the right to write to the folder.

Thankyou Malcolm, I have changed the options from "read only" to "archive", will that do the trick?

I will restart and try anyway!

Peter.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations