Outstanding Videos of U. K. Attractions

Started by Leon, September 26, 2020, 08:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

My wife recently found, and shared with me, a YouTube contributor who has produced outstanding videos of many places in Scotland. They are the best I've seen, with an emphasis on natural history - and offered up in "small bites". The videographer keeps the camera moving with the bare minimum of narration. There are ample labels and descriptive photographs which can be read by pausing play - and the music is as good as the photography! There are dozens of videos to choose from and I don't have a favorite; however, a good start would be The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh

My purpose for starting this thread is to share this excellent source of videos but also to encourage others to share equally fine productions featuring other U. K. attractions. I'm not very keen on amateur submissions to YouTube, but excellence should be appreciated and may lead all of us to visit, or learn more, about places near home that we've never gotten around to seeing. In my case, though I've visited most of the places, I've not viewed them nearly as comprehensively as they are presented in the videos of David Wheater.

Suggestion: Subscribe to David Wheater and click Videos to see his entire production list.

Suggestion #2: Post links for similar sites that you can recommend, but please keep them to sites focused on the United Kingdom. I'd like for this thread to be a place where we can all find information useful for planning our holidays! Yes, I am optimistic that we'll be back on the trail – eventually!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Leon

Three people rated my initial post in this Topic. Thank you! What I'm more interested in, however, is how many people viewed the post. Is that statistic available? If so, how can I see it? If this topic is of no interest, or very limited interest, I'd rather delete it. I'm aware that what excites me may not generate any reaction from others, and I can feed my interests without writing about it. I DID hope to discover other equally exiting sites submitted by others, but I understand that despite Covid most people who contribute to this site are busy people. I'm not so much so or I'd not have taken a look at a video my wife recommended!  :D

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Jon898

Leon:

Go to the topic in the main forum and you'll see the number of views - 61 and 3 rates as of this writing.

Jon

Leon

Jon, thanks so much. My sight isn't what it used to be (maybe my cognitive functions, too!).

Leon

port perran

So......I'm biased as I live here but this little video is a quick scamper around Cornwall, the loveliest county in England :

https://youtu.be/oM1T6NXjTeo

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Ali Smith

Jools Guides on YouTube are good for London.

Leon

Quote from: port perran on September 27, 2020, 07:08:32 PM
So......I'm biased as I live here but this little video is a quick scamper around Cornwall, the loveliest county in England :

Aerial Tour of Cornwall -
https://youtu.be/oM1T6NXjTeo

Martin, this topic leaves lots of room for bias. Thanks for a beautiful contribution! This is one I can view again and again. Now, I'd like  to see all those locations in ground level videos! I took the liberty of adding the title of the video to your link. If others sharing links will do likewise it will greatly assist with the creation of a spreadsheet (which I intend to do for myself).

Leon

Leon

Quote from: Ali Smith on September 27, 2020, 07:41:48 PM
Jools Guides on YouTube are good for London.

Ali, thanks for a great video series. I chose Jolly Boating Trip on London's Regents Canal - Little Venice to Camden Lock -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Lp9svfoQM for my first viewing (I walked that segment of the canal about three years ago), but I'll be watching many more of them in months to come. In 1969, I spent six weeks in London and on the week-ends I did a lot of walking. Over the years I've done a bit more, and never lose interest in seeing the "sights". My walking days are pretty much over, though.

Leon

themadhippy

QuoteLittle Venice to Camden Lock
useless factoid, the regent canal tow  path is maybe the only  footpath in the uk to  be heated .
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2017/02/12/how-the-regents-canal-ended-up-carrying-electricity-instead-of-coal/
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Leon

David Wheater's videos cover the full spectrum of Scotland's treasures, though there are so many possibile subjects he'll never be able to show but a small percentage of the wonderful sights (and sites) between John o'Grosts and Gretna Green.

While the Highlands offer more spectacular, rugged beauty, there is much to be said for the Southern Uplands which are the least populated of the three geographical regions of Scotland, and are easily accessed from both Edinburgh and Glasgow. The Border towns of Galashields, St. Boswell's, Melrose, Hawick, and Selkirk are especially inviting. With the re-opening of the Waverly Route through Galashields to Tweedbank in 2015, one can enjoy a day trip from Edinburgh.  The train to Galashiels and a short bus ride to Melrose is a worthy consideration. I try to visit Melrose whenever I'm in Edingurgh.

David hasn't yet captured the allure of the Tweed Valley or the broader Southern Uplands, so maybe someone can add a link to that region? In the meantime, of the many Highland videos David has done, Visiting Beautiful Ardnamurchan in the Scottish Highlands is a bit of a compromise between the more dramatic Highland scenes and the softer, gentler vistas of the Borders. One should not miss the fou-part Highland videos nor the Harris/Lewis video, however. They are superb!

Enjoy!

Leon

weave

Hi Leon,

Just to say 'tis of interest to me so thank you and looking forward to more of yours and other contributions.

Cheers, weave  :beers:

Leon

Thanks, Weave. I'll try to highlight those videos from all sources that I deem worthy of special attention. My posts will always be subjective, however, so I encourage everyone to "see for yourself" whenever a video link is added. The Little Venice to Camden Lock video suggested by themadhippy was excellent. Great photography and production value!

Leon

Leon

The difference in videos of the same subject can be striking. That's why I'm so enhusiastic about David Wheater's work. I've watched the videos of another Edinburgh YouTube contributor which presents a stark contrast. That videographer visted Cramond Village and on the way admitted he wasn't quite sure how to get there! More than once he acknowledged that he "thought" he had visted Cramond once before, but couldn't remember anything about it. As he talked it became obvious he had done no preparation for the visit and was astonished when he discovered the ruined outline of a Roman Fort. He wasn't able to provide any background for the long history of the village and was unsure in which direction to walk when faced with an alternative. The contrast of this photographer's work is evident in two videos by David Wheater which are beautiful and obviously the result of careful planning and subsequent video production. As I've stated previously, David emphasizes natural history and lets the camera inform us rather than talking about what we're seeing. Finally, in the second video,Cramond Island, he does provide more historical insights, as there are no informational signs on the island.

Cramond Village -

Cramond Island -

Enjoy!

Leon

Leon

Michael Palin's Great Railway Journeys - Confessions Of A Train Spotter 1980

Tonight, I stumbled upon another outstanding video! It's one that most of you have seen, no doubt, but my first experience of viewing what must be a classic. If it's not, I'd like to make it one! Pardon the adverts, as we journey from London to Kyle of Lochalsh -

Enjoy!

Leon

Leon

Joolz Guides - London History Walks - Travel Films

When you watch Joolz it may be obvious why I've never hired a tour guide! Much more talk than I like, and more details than I could ever (even when I was a young man) remember. I saw most of what Joolz shows in this video by taking a bus to Hampstead Heath Station and walking to Kenwood House, returning via The Spainiards Inn - a reversal of the Joolz tour. Whether or not you've visited Hampstead Heath, the videography is worthy of the fourteen-minute investment required to view it. Incidentally, I ended up with a tour guide on my walk - a local gentleman who walks the Heath every day. He offered the kind of insights that money can't buy, including a tale of viewing the Blitz from the Heath when he was a young boy. (He reluctantly accepted an orange squash when we reached Kenwood House.)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations