Changing scales

Started by Foster, August 26, 2019, 12:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foster

This may be seen as sacriledge !!  I am wanting to change back to OO/HO scale, but I need help from wiser people than me to advise on the manufacturer with a good reputation for simple working models.
At this stage it seems my best restart is with boxed sets..Also, for the first time I am toying with the DCC option.
Any help will be great, as I "abandon" my N gauge stuff.

Thanks folk.

:helpneededsign:

Bealman

You're right.... it's sacrilege  :no: ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Foster

:thumbsdown:   I put in tjis query, expecting a little help with my problem, caused mainly by failing eye sight.
Instead, a snide reply, which is why I now am leaving your band of unhelpful hobbiests. >:D

Bealman

It was tongue in cheek, buddy. Sorry if it caused offence.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Philip.

Hi Foster, if you need advice on OO gauge then perhaps you should ask in an  OO forum then you wouldn't misinterpret a jocular reply from an N gauger. Just a thought.

Good luck with your new venture   :)

BobB

Some years ago, I changed the other way around because we were going to move to a smaller property. When modelling OO I found the backmann brand with peco track stuff was a winning combination with heljan used as my source for two favourites, a class 33 and a class 35. But now that stuff looks so big.

Delboy

Quote from: Bealman on August 26, 2019, 05:59:44 AM
It was tongue in cheek, buddy. Sorry if it caused offence.

I think your imojis were an obvious pointer that it was tongue in cheek.
@Foster Good luck with your new venture. N gauge can be taxing especially with deteriorating eyesight.
I would like to think that your imoji was also tongue in cheek, as I find it hard to believe you really feel we are a "band of unhelpful hobbyists" or I for one would be offended.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

ntpntpntp

Er... sorry but who mentioned "sacrilege" in the first place, which readers would mostly take as tongue-in-cheek and thus respond in kind?

It very much depends what area and era would you want to model?   British,  American, European?   Steam, Modern?   

It's a very broad question and you're bound to get a lot of varied opinion to be honest, so narrowing down your requirements will help focus on well regarded brands for your theme.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Capri_sam

Making an assumption that you'll be modelling UK - I'd go for Hornby Railroad, the older, chunkier mouldings are still fine in most cases and will be less prone to damage than the higher-end models from other manufacturers, a benefit if your eyesight is deteriorating since it means less small parts and hair-thin handrails to lose or snap! The added benefit is they are usually (though oddly not always) significantly cheaper than the higher-end models, and almost all (if not all now) are DCC ready. There's a lot available on the second-hand market as they get traded in by people who upgrade or lose interest - more so than N gauge.

Newportnobby

And just so you know for your future in 00 gauge, there's no 'd' in sacrilege.
Happy to have been of help :)

Phoenix

Hi Foster,

I, as other here do, wish you well with your new venture.

I must however take you to task re. describing the guys here as " a band of unhelpful hobbyists"   :no:

Hobbyists yes, as railway modelling is a hobby, but certainly not unhelpful. I was uncertain posting here at first, as I was a complete newcomer, but I was immediately made to feel welcome.  :)

I have made what I think is a nice little layout, which would certainly not have been possible without the help, encouragement, guidance, and good humour of everyone here.  :D ;) :D

:NGaugersRule:

All best wishes

Kevin

:beers:

stevewalker

Quote from: Foster on August 26, 2019, 05:55:04 AM
:thumbsdown:   I put in tjis query, expecting a little help with my problem, caused mainly by failing eye sight.
Instead, a snide reply, which is why I now am leaving your band of unhelpful hobbiests. >:D

Nobody is being snide. Many of the people here model in multiple scales, but those scales are jokingly derided, hence references to 'Orribly Oversized for OO. No-one is serious about it.

I have not modelled OO for 35 years or so (nor any other scale until recent years) and so, unfortunately cannot help, but good luck.

jpendle

If by 'simple working models' you mean models that don't have lots of fiddly bits then I fear your only option maybe the Hornby Railroad range.

I believe that in all scales manufacturers are now competing on detail, which means that while the brake pipes on an N Gauge model may be fiddly, they might not be on an equivalent OO model, but there'll be something on the OO model that is just as fiddly.

The same goes for O gauge as well.

Regards and good luck,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations