Cork Pinboard

Started by lionwing, April 20, 2020, 09:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lionwing

Good morning all.

I'm a relatively "newbie" having built one layout previously (Newdale) and have been planning a second one since selling it on a few years ago.  Space is restricted at home so "micro" it likely to be part of theme.

As a starter what would be the challenges of using a cork pinboard as a base similar the item linked to below;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bi-Office-MC070012010-Board-Budget-Frame/dp/B003AQQQ40/ref=pd_sbs_201_1/261-9149102-6169609?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003AQQQ40&pd_rd_r=0f2824a0-9f7b-4384-93c8-af6c9e6fe0b9&pd_rd_w=TrXWF&pd_rd_wg=W4Ulf&pf_rd_p=2773aa8e-42c5-4dbe-bda8-5cdf226aa078&pf_rd_r=NAEKQ8WY1WJKJGMMXHXQ&psc=1&refRID=NAEKQ8WY1WJKJGMMXHXQ

:helpneededsign:
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

Jack

Most domestic Pin boards are made of thin sheets of cork glued onto corrugated cardboard and so aren't very strong. Something to bare in mind if you go down that route that you may have to add some strength to make it a baseboard.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

ntpntpntp

[edit] Jack posted while I was typing :-) [/edit]

The problem you're likely to have is the cork is thin and backed by something like hardboard which won't take track pins very well, if that's how you plan to secure the track?   Alternatively you could glue the track to the cork.     

As it's just thin hardboard backing it may flex as you progress.   There's not enough depth underneath to accommodate wiring (or point motors if you plan to use under-board motors).

You end up with one flat surface, not very realistic for scenery.

Personally I would recommend constructing a proper baseboard from a piece of 9mm ply with light timber bracing underneath - and even better an open top frame so you can contour the scenery.   
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

dannyboy

I have just looked at that item. Having read the reviews, I would suggest that you do not buy! It seems to be just two sheets of cork sandwiching a piece of cardboard.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

I agree with the other chaps. Should you try to loose ballast any track using watered down PVA I reckon you could just destroy everything :uneasy:

steve836

I would suggest using a piece of ply. You could make a frame and screw the ply to it or, if it was small enough,( up to  about 15 in square) 9mm ply would be adequate to run as a table top layout, and could then be integrated into a larger layout at a later date
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

lionwing

Thank you all.

I file the idea firmly under "no" for now.

Ply is the way forward but I like the idea of "open top frame".

ntpntpntp

Quote from: lionwing on April 20, 2020, 04:21:26 PM
Thank you all.

I file the idea firmly under "no" for now.

Ply is the way forward but I like the idea of "open top frame".

Yes, it takes a bit more work to construct than a simple flat top baseboard but gives you the opportunity to have your scenery above and below the railway which I find much more attractive.  Of course if you want to model a complex freight yard or depot then flat top is perfectly justified.

I build my open frame more as "open box", ie. 4 sides of 9mm ply with a few cross braces, then add wooden risers and a ply track bed where needed. The sides get cut away to form the edge contours, and the spaces filled in with expanded polystyrene.

... which became the front of this
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

lionwing

The results are definitely worth the extra time and effort.

I have some "micro" in mind around 900x350mm "end to end".  Seafront / fish docks on the lower level with the upper levels perhaps more traditional "seafront" etc...it's a vague and evolving idea but I will get there.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations