Problems with new router

Started by geoffc, February 28, 2020, 04:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoffc

I have an Acer Aspire Netbook running Win XP SP2. Yes I know it is an out of date operating system but its only role in life is to run PlanePlotter and I don't want to change it. It was working just fine, Talktalk sent me a new router, this connected to my desktop Win 7 Pro, Samsung tablet and Alcatel phone without any problems, just enter the password and it was all systems go.
The Netbook connected to the router but will not connect to the internet. I searched the internet using the desktop and tried several "fixes" but it is still the same, sometimes it asks for a password or network key, none of which came with the router. I tried all of the numbers and passwords on the back of the new router but it is still unresponsive.
I then swapped back to the old router and the netbook will not connect to the internet although it shows connected to the router. 
When I click on available networks I get the message "This network requires at network key. You are currently connected to this network"  as I mentioned earlier if I click on Google I get the message cannot connect  to internet. Is the router user name the network key if not what is?
Any suggestions please?

Geoff

ntpntpntp

Are we talking about a proper router box which all your devices share, or one of those USB routers that ISPs sometimes provide to get you up and running?

With a proper router, the network SSID and key will be for the wifi connection to the router, it's not related to getting a connection to the internet once you have connected to the router.  Your credentials to connect to the internet will be set and stored in the router.  With the USB routers I think the internet credentials are part of the  connection configuration on the PC  (I've always used a separate router box)

Possibly the netbook isn't getting an IP address properly from the router?  Does XP have a connection diagnostic or "repair" option you could try? It's been so long since I ran XP that I can't remember now.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

red_death

IIRC Windows XP might not support some forms of network key encryption eg this says only SP3 of XP supports WPA2-PSK: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/429/

So depending on what SP (service pack) of XP you might have to either update XP or downgrade the network key security on your router.

Cheers Mike

geoffc

It is a proper router supplied by TalkTalk, what I can not get my head around is when I revert to the old router the netbook doesnt work, but it did before I tried it on the new router. Therefore I dont think it can be a network key encryption problem on the old router as it worked before. Maybe its a problem on the new one.
Geoff

ntpntpntp

Have you tried the Netbook with a wired ethernet connection to the router instead of WiFi?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

geoffc

Quote from: ntpntpntp on February 28, 2020, 07:51:05 PM
Have you tried the Netbook with a wired ethernet connection to the router instead of WiFi?

Yes still the same problem, connected to router still no access to internet.

Geoff

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Only Me on February 28, 2020, 09:45:51 PM
Mike is correct it'll be the encryption algorithm that xp doesn't support...[try WEP]...

Geoff says he can't get a wired connection to work either, so it's not a WiFi encryption problem.   

guest8885

if its a talk talk router the password could be on the label underneath

guest8885

should have added the old router should have the password, you can then add it to the new one.
if you right clik your old icon for internet the password will be shown
talk talk router access is in the address bar type192.168.1.1 and enter
if you didnt change their settings then i think user will be admin and password (admin?) probably the word password. when you enter setting look for security and change the word password to one of your own.  its a common security risk not changing it.

guest8885

reconnecting the old router
go to control panel go to network settings
long time since i used xp highlite correct router talk talk
look for properties on one page it will show password, tick show password
it will be the same as that for your new router, its the isp password, same isp? i assume
on the network page you will find a trouble shooter try using that, its better than win 10 version.
assume you have checked that connection exist on your network, try the wps button
then try disconnecting power for a couple of minutes.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations