How do I remove Linux?

Started by N Gauge Bob, July 17, 2013, 09:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: Bikeracer on July 17, 2013, 12:31:01 PM
Hi Bob,

Give Martin at Belshaws computers a ring,he's very reasonably priced and very helpful.

http://www.yell.com/biz/belshaw-s-computer-shop-newark-7335886/

Allan
Hi Allan

Thanks but no thanks...If he is the guy behind Boyes he still owes me 2 computers he wrecked.
Cheers
Bob
Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

linuxyeti

Sorry, but have you already tried to remove the installed Linux OS? As, if it came back, and was originally working, admittedly with some functions not, whatever those functions are, for it now to only be at the prompt you have, sounds like a botched uninstall of the OS.

Almost all modern Linux distributions will pretty much work straight out the box with most laptops old enough to have Vistas installed originally, including the standard keyboard functionality, however as some drivers, especially wifi drivers require proprietary software, then as has been mentioned before, simply go down the Linux Mint route. Personally I can't honestly say I've really had a problem with a Linux install in at least 10 years now, and current offerings tend to be the equal if not better of both Microsoft's and Apple's current offerings.

Cheers

Tony

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: linuxyeti on July 18, 2013, 05:37:09 PM
Sorry, but have you already tried to remove the installed Linux OS? As, if it came back, and was originally working, admittedly with some functions not, whatever those functions are, for it now to only be at the prompt you have, sounds like a botched uninstall of the OS.

Almost all modern Linux distributions will pretty much work straight out the box with most laptops old enough to have Vistas installed originally, including the standard keyboard functionality, however as some drivers, especially wifi drivers require proprietary software, then as has been mentioned before, simply go down the Linux Mint route. Personally I can't honestly say I've really had a problem with a Linux install in at least 10 years now, and current offerings tend to be the equal if not better of both Microsoft's and Apple's current offerings.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony.
Thanks for that. At the moment I am talking to Asus service and they are more than familiar with this problem. I am just waiting for them to send me the correct info to zero the computer back to Factory settings so I can re-install Vista as my daughter wants.
They incidentally think it is something eithe r in Vista or Linux that corrupts the programme when you try to uninstall it, but as both are he suspects on the computer he cannot or wont state which.
Cheers
Bob
Remember this:

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: AndyGif on July 17, 2013, 10:53:19 AM
bob, if you want vista back on there, and you still have the cd key sticker on the pc.
I think i've still got an OEM Vista install disk i could copy for you, but you will need the cd product key.
You'll probably need to reformat the hard disk and the Master Boot Record to expunge linux off the lap top completley.

Andy
Having exhausted all possibilities including a smart a!!e engineer from Asus telling me the computer is too old so they have no details on it...perhaps I should buy a new one (Yeah, well if I do it won't be Asus!!) I will take you up on your offer if I may. If you would like to contact me off list, please let me know if you have any discs and how you would like to proceed. All expenses will be reimbursed of course.
Cheers, Bob
Cheers
Bob
Remember this:

AndyGif

ok bob, i'll go on a disk hunt when i get home tonight.  I pretty sure i know which crate the original media is stored in. 
We moved nearly 4 years ago, and theres still stuff  that's never been unpacked in conservatory cupboards, coal house and garage.....

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations