Help please

Started by N Gauge Bob, April 01, 2013, 09:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N Gauge Bob

First I will explain I know NOTHING  about computers  :'(

I run a Packard Bell system with 2 gig memory and a 500 gig drive.
My operating system is Windows XP.
I also run Google Chrome and AVG.

I have run the computer for a number of years and never had a problem until this morning...The following happened.

Pressed start button on tower.
Fired up.
After about 10 seconds got a sound like a dimented woodpecker...a very fast repetitive noise...it's the noise you get if you accidentally hold a key down when you shouldn't. This lasted about 10 seconds

Computer then continued to get into operating mode...no problems at all.

Went to select from menu and right clicked. The highlight bar in the selection box is just rolling continuously.
I seem unable to select from the menu, and the mouse is not obeying cancel instructions.
Went into my lists of contacts and the bar is just rolling down the screen at high speed, so I cannot select anything.

The computer will not obey final instruction to close down and I have to turn it off via the main on/off button. It can however get as far as turning off, but it won't do it automatically.

I borrowed the wifes mouse, and the same problem, so it isn't the mouse itself.

However, having managed to get into email, the system works fine and as you can see, I can type and send no problems.

My guess is it has something to do with the selection system or the mouse function.

Any help appreciated please...remember I am NOT technical, so any instructions will have to be basic and fool proof.

Cheers
N Gauge Bob

And I've just discovered that if I am in email, in this case MSN, the rolling completely stops and I can access anywhere with no problems  :confused2:
Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

scotsoft

It may well have been nothing more than a glitch but it does sound as if something mechanical was unhappy.
Perhaps the noise you got when you first switched on has shaken things about and this has cleared the problem.
However this will have dented your confidence in your machine for a while, so just to be on the safe side you may wish to back up any important data and your favourites just in case.

cheers John.

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: scotsoft on April 01, 2013, 09:27:58 AM
It may well have been nothing more than a glitch but it does sound as if something mechanical was unhappy.
Perhaps the noise you got when you first switched on has shaken things about and this has cleared the problem.
However this will have dented your confidence in your machine for a while, so just to be on the safe side you may wish to back up any important data and your favourites just in case.

cheers John.

Thanks John. I'll back everything up...that'll be a first for me  :o

Just turned the computer off and restarted it. Exactly the same problem, but as soon as I go on line, the problem goes away

Grrrrr!! I hate computers. Why did we ever get rid of parchment, quill pens and messengers  :)

Cheers
NGB
Remember this:

zwilnik

It sounds like a key might be stuck down (ie jammed in the down position). If possible, try it with a different keyboard.

Tank

I agree with Zwilnik.  Try pushing the buttons on your keyboard to see if the problem stops.  The button under a key on the keyboard sounds like it has got stuck - sounds like the down arrow.

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: Zwilnik on April 01, 2013, 10:00:42 AM
It sounds like a key might be stuck down (ie jammed in the down position). If possible, try it with a different keyboard.

Oh dear!! Totally  :-[
Checked the keyboard...nothing!!!
Gave it a shake and a small piece of wire fell out from yesterdays modelling session.
Problem solved. :bounce:
Many thanks. :beers:
Cheers
NGB
:NGaugersRule:
Remember this:

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: Tank on April 01, 2013, 10:53:15 AM
I agree with Zwilnik.  Try pushing the buttons on your keyboard to see if the problem stops.  The button under a key on the keyboard sounds like it has got stuck - sounds like the down arrow.

You two should start an online repair service  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:
Many thanks.
NGB
Remember this:

Tank

Glad to hear it.  :)  *high fives Zwilnik*   ;D

scotsoft

Well done you two  :thumbsup:

Bob, what you doing modelling over your keyboard  :smackedface:

I hope you will be lifting it out of the way from now on  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:

I am pleased that is all it was  :D

cheers John.

EtchedPixels

I know so many IT repair folks whose recipe for PC repair starts

spray keyboard with disinfectant (keyboards on germ counts are often dirtier than toilets)
invert keyboard
remove staples

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations