Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpendle

I've been waiting ages for 3 deliveries from the UK and on Friday, just like buses, two showed up at once.

First a couple of Farish CL66's, the Powerhaul one is my second, the other is the Dapol version, the EWS one arrived as 66111 and was changed to 66135. I already have the Dapol weathered 66111. Both were tested on DC and then chipped with Zimo MX617N decoders and run in.

Here's 66135 on an engineers train.

And the Freightliner 66

Second were my 12 Castle Cement PCA's from Realtrack, the biggest problem I have with these is that once I got them on the track I felt an immediate need for another 12 to make a decent length rake. I'm aware of the issue with the various information panels not having a black background, but ironically that means they match my Farish JPA's!

Here's a close up.

And some long shots.

Now I'm just waiting for my Revolution KFA's

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

exmouthcraig

As my box file layout has grown I will get a full update in the layout construction topic so everyone knows what's going on.

Clifton Wood is a biomass processing plant served by a rail network and AW Jenkinson haulage. Logs are brought in by rail and turned into woodchip and AWJ arrive with Walking floor trailers loaded with woodchip. These are blended together to form the biomass fuel.

At Lockerbie AWJ do this for real, abliet no rail facilities and everything is conveyed into Stevens Croft biomass power station on the other side of the road.

As I'm not building Stevens Croft I thought about wagons that could run the biomass produced at Clifton Wood.

Now Drax power station is the UKs biggest biomass power station and converted some hopper wagons into the ugly beasts that run 25 in a rake direct to Drax. These wagons haul wood pellet fuel brought across the Atlantic from Canada. So with a bit of fabrication I have it that Drax send these wagons to biomass plants across the uk in order to fuel the power station. This gave me the perfect excuse to contact Nick @njee20 about his project he embarked on late last year.

A deal was struck to supply me with 2 of these brutes, I would of loved more but the layout cant handle more then 2 wagons at over 125mm long each.

They only have a brief push on / pull off encounter on the layout but I must say.....

From someone producing these out of their garage Nick has done an absolutely amazing job. He rushed these through for me (his own decision) and finished them literally 12hrs before flying to Poland for work!!!

It's hard to fault anything with them really, considering Nick is not a model manufacturer the wagons are square and flat, the correct shape and size has been captured, the logos are crisp, clear writing and ALL the data panels on the one end, the under chassis chute details are all there, along with bogies that will free up (just a slight drag on a couple of axles) but they couple up well and luckily for this layout negotiate setrack points at a crawling speed.

So huge thanks must go to Mr Evan's @njee20, they look fantastic and a perfect edition to Clifton Wood (which is my own name for the layout based upon 2 AWJ locations in the uk). 

njee20

Thanks Craig, look forward to seeing Clifton Wood develop!

RailGooner

Graham Farish 370-375 Avro Vulcan XH558 'The Spirit of Great Britain' Special Collectors' Edition the best gift from the world's best better half.

Images © Mark Adedeji, on Flickr

dannyboy

It is a beautiful set and the locomotive runs lovely and smoothly. In my case it was the best gift from the worlds best .... me!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Ali Smith

Here's my latest purchase. It's a Recreation 21 GT3 from Shapeways on a Poole designed, China built Black 5 with the unwanted bits removed. The chassis needs new coupling rods to depict the chunky roller bearing items and new crank pins on the middle axle. Bigger bogie wheels and outside frames for the bogie are also needed. Normally I would do these first, but the body looks almost unusable. It seems to be well proportioned but it is made of a mysterious material called "smooth fine detail" that appears to have been designed to combine the worst mechanical properties of cheese and bakelite. On cutting away part of an internal bulkhead I got the impression that it is very brittle, yet if you put something inside like a bent bit of card to hold it whilst painting it bows outward and holds that deformation. None of this would matter except that the surface finish appears to be an attempt to represent either chequer plate or a very coarse cloth. Clearly a lot of filling and rubbing down will be needed which on a moulding of no strength is not going to be easy. Before I could even prime it I had to remove a horrible sticky coating which I understand is wax. That in itself was quite a task.
I have bought detailing parts from Ngineer's Shapeways shop and N-Train but this is my first 3D printed model of any size. I suspect it will be my last.

njee20

Those are (immensely frustrating) properties almost unique to Shapeways' material, previously called "white, strong, flexible" or WSF. It's a pretty hideous material to work with!

A lot of 3D printed materials, including Shapeways Frosted Ultra Detail, or whatever it's called now (Finest Detail Plastic or something) is far better, if a bit brittle, and home printed resin bodies are far better from a smoothness and ease of finishing perspective.

maridunian

I've never seen the cross-hatching effect before. As Nick says, their Smoothest plastic needs less finishing, but there's always work needed.

The ridges are where the whole surface should be, ie they don't need rubbing down - it's the grooves that need filling. Two or three light coats of primer, each gently scraped off with the edge of a scalpel blade when dry, should do it.

The thinness of the structure is a design decision - probably a trade off to get the body close to scale dimensions whilst accommodating the chassis.

I hope you're able to redeem this model. Good luck!

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Graham

Quote from: RailGooner on February 09, 2020, 01:44:09 PM
Graham Farish 370-375 Avro Vulcan XH558 'The Spirit of Great Britain' Special Collectors' Edition the best gift from the world's best better half.

Images © Mark Adedeji, on Flickr
very tempted by this set. Just other items taking the budget for the moment. Hopefully they are still around when I have the free budget.

Ali Smith

Thank you njee20 and maridunian for your sympathy, information, advice and encouragement. I think I shall shape some pieces of wood to fit inside the body shells to support them whilst I'm working on them and provide painting handles. If I feel I'm getting somewhere with the GT3 I'll post progress in "on my workbench".

Jeff_W

This came yesterday:

I think coupling the wagons together might be a bit tricky...anyone have any tips? These cars are my first experience with this kind of wagon.

I have two more orders from Hattons coming. I splurged a bit.

njee20

The bar coupler between the pairs you mean? They're not particularly difficult, I just use a finger nail or a small, flat screwdriver to clip them in, although I'd avoid constant uncoupling as they can break.

RailGooner

Quote from: Graham on February 10, 2020, 05:48:02 AM
Quote from: RailGooner on February 09, 2020, 01:44:09 PM
very tempted by this set. Just other items taking the budget for the moment. Hopefully they are still around when I have the free budget.

My thoughts exactly Graham. I had it on all my wishlists, but when I didn't find one under the tree at Christmas I thought I was going to miss out. So I'm really beyond chuffed that MBH came through.

Skyline2uk

A lot can change in a decade.

But not me wanting some of these.

It's been around 10 years since two lots of these passed me by on eBay. These have never been out of box, some of the last sold by Chris. Jumped at the chance to buy them this time.

I have my rake of ARC PTAs to finish off.

HINT HINT DAPOL!

Skyline2uk

Jeff_W

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations