most often forgotten item of infrastructure

Started by bluedepot, August 02, 2014, 09:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

which item of railway / trackside / track infrastructure is most often forgotten about / not modelled when it perhaps should be?

the item has to be something big enough that it is noticeable in n gauge!

any thoughts???

Newportnobby

Interesting topic :hmmm:
I've seen many a layout on the exhibition circuit that has little or no fencing and telegraph poles. I'm not suggesting for one moment anyone should actually string telegraph wires (although big admiration to those who have) but please, at least have the poles.

Newportnobby

Quote from: bluedepot on August 02, 2014, 09:35:40 PM

the item has to be something big enough that it is noticeable in n gauge!

Another item very much not modelled are electricity pylons which are certainly big enough to be noticeable in N gauge. I will admit they must be a nightmare for exhibitors in transporting layouts and I'd be clumsy enough to keep breaking them whilst reaching for something on my layout if I fitted them :doh:

scottmitchell74

I think utilities in general. I know I have poles, but I need propane tanks, electrical boxes, etc...
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Dorsetmike

I'll agree Pylons are not often seen on models, however I suspect most people hate the sight of the things striding across the country side and hence try to avoid them on the layout.

But for something not modelled, I think the "next step down"  from Pylons, the rural overhead power lines on poles like phone poles  but much heavier wire some with just one cross piece and some twin poles with a transformer hung between.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Claude Dreyfus

Signal and point wires/rodding, as well as other associated wiring - for track circuits etc. Almost always missing on layouts (including my own, I'm afraid!); but makes a huge difference when added...

bluedepot

I'll try and keep a list...

It can be used as a check list of items to at least consider!

fences
pylons
telegraph posts (and wires)
point and signal rodding / wiring
relay cabinets
trap points (only where needed obviously)

seems like there is a lot more infrastructure clutter nowadays. I made this thread looking out the window of a 170 dmu and taking note of it all.

I suppose you don't want too much infrastructure clutter making it look too crowded so has to be some balance.

on a personal note I have added signals, dummy point motors, cable trough covers, relay cabinets, point levers, yard lights, speed signs, stop boards but not pylons or telephone poles or fences yet. probably need a few more cabinets and signs. modern railways have tpws, gsmr etc equipment as well of course.

tim

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Dorsetmike on August 02, 2014, 10:20:51 PM
with a transformer hung between.

aka. "Pig on a pole" or distribution transformer.
It has been a long time, so willingly stand to be corrected, I think from typically 11kv down to 415v delta (approx 240v star) for local distribution in the UK.
Hence loadsa poles, with crossbars on top and 3 (phase)wires, crossing fields all over the place.

Komata

It's an interesting question, and thanks for posing it. You do realise I trust, that, as the membership is an international one, you will get answers reflecting that fact?

Are you asking specifically about items that are not modelled on layouts located and set ONLY within the UK, or is the question wide-open to include all us 'f'rnners?

Thanks.
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

bluedepot

I was thinking of the UK but people can tell us what infrastructure modellers of other countries often forget to include too.

Tim

Jerry Howlett

TV aerials, ok for youse modern folks where its all digital ans you can just glue a small circle to represent the Sat dis have done though?

I have so far made 1 old style aerial for my 100 odd houses out of plastic toothbush bristles (NEW ONES) but my sanity couldn't handle doing any more...for now.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Wingman mothergoose

How about:

Catch pit covers,
AWS ramps,
Line speed boards,
'No trespassing' signs
Bridge plates,
Tunnel names,

Would love to add signal wires and point rodding, but it might be too fiddly in N...

Chris

Tdm

If it's U.K. and a) a rural scene - shouldn't the fields all be "part-flooded", and b) if it's urban with people and Summer - they should all be holding umbrellas.  :D

Wingman mothergoose

Nope! My layout is a sunny mid July day sometime in the 1950's
;-)

Chris

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations