Does this exist, or am I whistling "Dixie" ?

Started by MikeDunn, September 16, 2012, 11:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeDunn

Hi all,

For my layout, I've decided that what I need (as opposed to want - my two new Dapol A4s have cured that  8) - for a while anyway  :P) is a small tank engine of the LNER (or precursors) - and after having a look around, I'm asking myself "does anyone actually do one  :confused2:"

I know that a few years back, GF had one that allegedly was LNER - but I think is more likely to have been a generic one they stuck LNER livery onto  :(

So - does this beastie exist ?  Who by, what was the name/class/number ?  Is it worth trying to get hold of (or to put it another way - can it be DCC'd) ?  Or should I wait hopefully for GF/Dapol/whoever to release one ...

Mike

EtchedPixels

There is a very early Farish LNER tank loco which is actually vaguely to prototype. There is the J94 and after that it's kit and scratch building I think.

I've built the Langley N2 (not a bad kit, but the chassis wants more work to look better), and the N7 (which I thought was really quite poor quality in castings and design), the Highfield G5 (bargain at 7.50 but it's a truely ancient model so needs work to tidy up but can be made to fit an M7 chassis and with sound) and I'm currently building an F5 using some 3D printing and some violence on a Dapol 14xx chassis.

There are quite a few other kits as well, some still available, some second hand only.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

oscar

Langley do an L3 that takes a Farish prairie chassis and an N7:-

http://www.langleymodels.co.uk/acatalog/Shop_Front_Locomotive_Body_kits_62.html

You can check out BH Enterprise kits, too:-

http://www.bh-enterprises.co.uk/page8.htm

MikeDunn

Cheers guys.

Blast  :( Looks like I was right in there being no RTR ones.

Oh well ...  Looks like I'll have to do a kit at some point.

Dr Al

There's a fair amount out there:

Farish - GP tank in LNER apple green. Generic prototype, but looks pleasant enough.
Farish - J94
Langley - N2 - actually can make up fairly nicely with some lowering, changing the rear trailing wheel position and superdetailing. This is my one:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/31648-langley-n2-non-condensing/

Langley - N7 - I have one of these to do, but looks like it could be a challenge!

J50 - there used to be a kit for a J50, I don't recall which manufacturer, but it's long discontinued. I picked up a wreck a while back and rebuilt it with a lot of detail, on a Farish 57xx chassis:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/40134-j50-based-on-farish-57xx-chassis/

J52 - there is also a J52 kit long discontinued. Both this and the J50 you'll have to hunt the stalls and secondhand listings for!

V1 - Worsley Works offer a scratch aid kit for the Gresley V1/3 2-6-2T.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Dr Al on September 17, 2012, 10:03:51 AM
J52 - there is also a J52 kit long discontinued. Both this and the J50 you'll have to hunt the stalls and secondhand listings for!

Set up an ebay watch for them - they come up quite often and frequently quite cheaply. A built one on a Chinese chassis went for about £30 on ebay yesterday
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

painbrook

Mike, what do you want your small tank loco for?. Cheers john.

dodger

BH enterprises still list a J52 body kit on their website.

MikeDunn

Quote from: painbrook on September 17, 2012, 05:31:32 PM
Mike, what do you want your small tank loco for?. Cheers john.
Local duties for my layout; have a couple of passenger locos (express and normal) for the main area but a little freight/yard engine would complete the loco stock.

Not confident to build a loco in N yet; will want to keep developing my skills in OO first, before trying that !

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations