EFE Rail announce the Imerys JIA China Clay hopper

Started by woodbury22uk, November 03, 2020, 11:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete @ EGLM

The heavily weathered ones appear to be a little "overweathered"
Martyn Reads website has numerous examples, and if they're are that heavily weathered, the logos and data panels have usually had a clean up.
I've attacked one of mine, I'll put a photo on Facebook NGF-it's too much of a drama here!
Apart from that, a good looking wagon, lots of detail, and as others have said, the bogie retaining screws need to be slackened off

Pete @ EGLM

njee20

Yeah, there's something odd that although they adopt an all brown hue the lettering (particularly the Imerys lettering) remains legible; I'm not even sure it's cleaned like on the IWAs, just a particular type of dirt. EFE seem to have just gone for a black wash as the base, which I've never seen. I know there was a bit of a furore about the OO gauge ones when they came out.

Happy to provide decals to anyone if they want to undertake a more drastic repaint!

ScottishModeller

Hi all,

Like Nick - I have a rake of 3D Printed ones already so won't be buying the EFE Imerys ones.

I've put a stop on my White Clay Tiger project as I think these will appear from EFE in the near future.

Next project?

Get enough CO2 tanks done to form a typical Scottish rake.

Then?

Get some Chivers SSA and modernise the peco chassis to the more correct pedestal suspension versions.

Me? Busy all the time.....

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

njee20

I'm still bemused that they did the JIA ahead of the Clay Tiger. That would have afforded more liveries, a wider geographical spread and more mixed rakes, whilst JIAs work almost exclusively in block trains.

Steven B

These were announced in November 2020 and were expected within the three following months. Even with the pandemic they're only two years late. Perhaps Bachmann could use the EFE factory for more of the Farish range?  ::)

Steven B.

njee20

I do wonder why they took so much longer; they've been pretty good at sticking to the 3-month 'rule' on new releases. These were shown in what looked like a pretty final state at TINGS, yet they've still taken another 9 months to appear.

msr

Two heavily weathered wagons joined the fleet today, here seen next to the slightly weathered version that arrived yesterday. The brown-black weathering coats these wagons rather heavily and uniformally and therefore I lightly brushed away the grime from the data panels. The light catches the bodyside but, rather than being matt, it is a rather dull satin finish, unlike the lovely matt brown finish on the weathered Dapol china clay wagons that followed the Mercig prototype.

I don't personally like the mustard yellow on the footplate of the slightly weathered JIA and, curiously, there is no equivalent treatment of its heavily weathered sisters. Judging by the paint left on the wheels it would appear that the heavily weathered wagons just received a single coating of brown-black paint whereas the slightly weathered ones had at least three different colours applied. Cleaning up the wheels was therefore rather easier but why then is there a premium to the price for what, in effect, is a simpler application of weathered colours?

njee20

That mustard yellow looks bizarre! I confess I've never seen the real JIAs in a clean (nor 'moderately' weathered) state, but I can't imagine that being anything like realistic.

TomE

Interesting, the colour on mine is nowhere near as mustard as that. If anything it's slightly more on the green side, which makes it look like it's been parked under trees for a while!

Tom.

njee20

Still looks pretty odd. Can't quite work out what they're trying to recreate there!

woodbury22uk

The colour reminds me of the residue left on the ends of coaching stock in the 1970s/80s after months of passage through the carriage washing machines. The cleaning fluid which broke down the bond between the paint and brake dust etc. caused a build up of a distinctly yellow tinge in the places the washer brushes could not reach.

I'll remember the name of it later!
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

njee20

Have they confirmed that's EFE Rail though? EFE was obviously Road vehicles originally, and the railway announcement is next week IIRC. Be weird to do EFE rail separately.

Foxhound

Quote from: njee20 on April 22, 2022, 08:39:38 AM
I'm still bemused that they did the JIA ahead of the Clay Tiger. That would have afforded more liveries, a wider geographical spread and more mixed rakes, whilst JIAs work almost exclusively in block trains.

I am fingers and toes crossed for the Tigers to finally be available in N. I haven't bought JIAs because I don't have a 66 to pull them. Slippery slope buying Sheds.... :D
Rob and Becky (artistic director)

jamespetts

Quote from: njee20 on April 25, 2022, 06:47:09 PM
Have they confirmed that's EFE Rail though? EFE was obviously Road vehicles originally, and the railway announcement is next week IIRC. Be weird to do EFE rail separately.

The announcement was EFE road vehicles only - Leyland National 'buses in 1:76 scale.
Peertube > Youtube

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations