Minitrix Britannia

Started by Bikeracer, February 04, 2012, 10:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bikeracer

The "Flying Scotsman" arrived and I've given it a brief test run,seems pretty good to me.I'll try it with a rake of a few coaches and see how it goes before I attempt the DCC conversion.

It's got plenty enough detail for me and from the looks of it,not much a clumsy sod like me can break off. ;D

Allan

I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Bealman

I have been chatting on quite a bit about Minitrix stuff since oldrailbug scored a Minitrix Ivatt "Mickey Mouse" Like Newportnobby, I don't want to highjack a thread, so I thought I'd post this here.

I mentioned that I too have a couple of Minitrix Ivatts, both the tender version and the tank. I bought the tank version in Cambridge back in 1990, if I recall. Not sure where I got the Mickey Mouse from. Anyway, seeing your purchase, Dave, I thought I'd dig them out. Neither are too keen on going, but I think they will be OK with a bit of a clean up. The wheels are filthy!

I haven't really mastered the art of photography for this forum yet (unlike you Dave, your pictures are super close-up and crystal), I just use my phone and some of these are a bit fuzzy in the foreground (though I honestly did take them in a hurry).

Anyway, here's the Minitrix tank engine hauling some BR surburbans (early Farish) towards Castle Eden,,,,, looks reasonably good from this angle, yea?

[smg id=2592 type=preview align=center width=400]

[smg id=2582 type=preview align=center width=400]

...except when you get round the other side and discover the beastie has no face!

[smg id=2581 type=preview align=center width=400]

I assume it's lying around in a drawer somewhere (I only got these out after 15 years, remember!) but I may yet have to go through with a notion that I had - ie take the face off Mickey and put it on the tank engine (I assume it is the same) and carve that Milliput face, paint the tender version red and call it James!

Anyway, here is the my tender version approaching Castle Eden. It could, of course run tender-first having a cab tender as it did.

[smg id=2583 type=preview align=center width=400]

[smg id=2586 type=preview align=center width=400]

And a bit of double heading.....!

[smg id=2588 type=preview align=center width=400]

And finally, one for swisstony - a three-car early Farish DMU at Kirkby Langdale with a van in tow! A beer wagon, too... tell me... were these Worthington liveries real, or fictitious?

[smg id=2590 type=preview align=center width=400]

:beers: Cheers!  :pint:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

longbridge

Nothing wrong with those photos George  :thumbsup:

I feel pretty sure your Minitrix locos will run well after a cleanup and light oil, so fingers crossed.

Hope you find the smokebox door on your 2MT, sadly it seems people have a habit of loosing them, I guess if worst came to worst you could always put a Thomas face on the front of it  :hmmm:

The Britannia's always seem to run well so good luck with that one, I am looking for a Minitrix 9F in Black but happy to wait until one comes along, I could have had the Green Morning Star at the weekend but gave it a miss.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

middlefour

Hi, did'nt somebody do a detailing kit for the Minitrix 9F? I have to say my 9F is one of the most reliable on the 'fleet'!! :thumbsup:
Steve

longbridge

Quote from: middlefour on November 12, 2012, 08:21:58 AM
Hi, did'nt somebody do a detailing kit for the Minitrix 9F? I have to say my 9F is one of the most reliable on the 'fleet'!! :thumbsup:

I don't know about the detail kit but I sure wish new steam locos would run as well as these 25 year old Minitrix locos.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: middlefour on November 12, 2012, 08:21:58 AM

They still do , Taylor Precision models also available from the N Gauge Society shop . I bought the Britannia one and I think its similar, replacement smoke deflectors in brass.

I have 3 of them and they put my Dapol one to shame when it comes to haulage. Ok the Dapol one LOOKS like a real 9F but with the ageing eyesight they can only look better. :laugh:
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

middlefour

Thanks for that Jerry, my eyes think the same!!! ;)
Steve

EtchedPixels

N Brass do a range of smokebox doors - they can probably suggest a suitably sized if not entirely accurate replacement.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Jerry Howlett

There is another option.

Remembered this from a book that I have.

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

middlefour

That really is blowing a raspberry... :) :) :)
Steve

Bealman

This is why this forum is so good - all these bits and pieces available all bodes well for my Minitrix fleet. I wouldn't have even known about this stuff!

I've always envisaged my terminus at Castle Eden serving a dairy area in the West Country (even though the name 'Castle Eden' is after a place in the North East that used to have a brewery - my model has a brewery - funny, that). However it looks like it's going to have to be raspberries... that would solve the problem of what to put on the front of that 2MT in the photo if I can't find the missing bit!  :P
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations