Dapol's new forum "Dapol Digest"

Started by railsquid, June 15, 2016, 11:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayM481

Looking at the way they've set things up, the "top menu" item is a forum, and there are subforums below. You can't start new subforums, which would be normal, but iIt appears you can't start newtopics at all. I can't say if this is a feature of the software or the way they chose to set it up.

austinbob

Quote from: JayM481 on June 28, 2016, 11:03:32 PM
Looking at the way they've set things up, the "top menu" item is a forum, and there are subforums below. You can't start new subforums, which would be normal, but iIt appears you can't start newtopics at all. I can't say if this is a feature of the software or the way they chose to set it up.
I think this makes the Forum pretty much next to useless except for information about new Dapol products and Dapol general news information.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

I guess, at the end of the day, Dapol wish to get what they want out of it and not necessarily what we want. This diminishes its use as a forum as it minimises any two way communication but, heck, it allows me to get some information rather than sign up for  :censored: Farcebook

Karhedron

To be fair, it is mostly smaller companies that actively participate on independent fora. Hornby and Bachmann do not as far as I am aware. Dapol were an exception while Dave Jones was there but I think this is more a personal approach as he has carried it with him to DJM.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

red_death

I don't think you can really blame Dapol for wanting to control what people are talking about. It is their forum to discuss their projects and they have to monitor it (so lots of off message topics will be a distraction). It is no different to what Hornby do.

As a way of asking for feedback on models, designs and future intentions it is pretty smart to be able to control the messages.

Cheers, Mike

Bob G

For once I agree with Mike.

Its a very useful forum for Dapol to help them get their new designs right, get new versions of existing designs right, get feedback on what has gone before, and solicit feedback on new models too.

What is missing that people want from the Dapol forum? There is nothing in the Dapol Digest forum structure that stops you asking a question about any planned or existing model. Surely you don't want to replicate this forum?  I quite like the Dapol one. There is no whingeing for a start. :hmmm:

Bob

austinbob

I would like to 'whinge' about not having the opportunity to discuss or make comments about the collectors club.
Whinge, whinge and treble whinge!!!
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

red_death

Quote from: austinbob on June 29, 2016, 02:37:44 PM
I would like to 'whinge' about not having the opportunity to discuss or make comments about the collectors club.

Well drop Joel or Andy a PM through the new forum - they might be open to creating a new area or prefer to discuss things outside of the forum.

Cheers, Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations