help and advice

Started by par, April 18, 2014, 02:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

par

:hellosign:
I am in the process of building a shunting layout which I think will probably have two or three loco in use .not got round to wiring yet  but I would like to go down the dcc route so I am after advice about which make to go for iam looking for something that is easy to use also can anybody recomend a boook on dcc like the idiots guide type
:NGaugersRule:
:thankyousign:
                               par

REGP

Hi Par

You might want to look at the Sprog3 kit which costs around £ 75= including power supply.

You download free JMRI software to your PC or Laptop.

Connect the Sprog to the track and PC and you can :
   Read and programme the DCC chips
   Open a throttle to control locos 

There's also free app to use on an iPhone or iPad which allows you to operate a throttle form that device.

Hope this is of interest.

Ray

bluedepot

hi

one of the current magazines has a dcc booklet with it I think?  it might be Hornby magazine.

bachmann e-z command seems like the cheapest controller (60 quid or so).   never used one.  I'm sure it would be fine for a small shunting layout though.

anyway good luck

tim

par

just a quick thanks for the reply

Tank

I must admit, I hadn't realised that the Sprog 3 was that cheap.  I think it's quite 'flash' to be able to use your iPhone as the controller, so I'm very tempted to buy one myself now. :drool:

par

you see everbody learns something on this brilliant forum
:thankyousign:  par

Tank

:thumbsup:  I'm always learning....and forgetting at the same rate!   :smiley-laughing:

REGP

Yes Tank

Sprog 3 without power supply  currently listed as £60= byWickness and maybe others.

Power supply costs another £15 or so £ but as Only Me said if you have a redundant lap top power supply you can save on that.

Ray

Tank

Luckily I have plenty left from my CCTV units.  :)  Soooo tempting.

trainsdownunder

Cant'go wrong with a Sprog really. Very underrated for its price

I bought mine as a temporary measure when I first dabbled in DCC but found it so convenient. I ended up with fixing it and a section of track to a piece of timber to give me a portable prg/test bed.

Despite the fact I now use MERG DCC (another good source of "cheaper" DCC control see www,merg,co,uk),  the SPROG and track sit by my PC ready for action.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: par on April 18, 2014, 02:21:40 PM
I am in the process of building a shunting layout which I think will probably have two or three loco in use .not got round to wiring yet  but I would like to go down the dcc route so I am after advice about which make to go for iam looking for something that is easy to use also can anybody recomend a boook on dcc like the idiots guide type
:NGaugersRule:
                               par

Sprog is great if you are a computer person. Bachmann intro controller is cheap but very basic so its easy to use. It's also very popular for those with junior operators as it's just got a button to press for each locomotive rather than entering numbers etc - limits you to 9 locos though.

Bookwise you can pick up Ian Mortons book for about £8.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Command-Control-Aspects-Modelling/dp/0711034990/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0129MX05QVRXBF8JKNB2

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

trainsdownunder

Some links for DCC info etc

QuoteNot aware of any DCC fro Dummies Books but there are plenty of good reads - take a look in the Wiki Section of the Forum. As well as the Brian Lambert link www.brian-lambert.co.uk I posted earlier have a look at these.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn2/DCC.htm and video series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EAq1tpJXs_I

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations