Kato unitrack for a points phobic layout builder?

Started by silverfox, January 26, 2014, 05:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tutenkhamunsleeping

Deltic9001

Hi,

I use the Kato magnetic uncoupling track successfully with the Dapol magnetic couplers. I've only fitted these couplers to Dapol stock (Class 26/27 and Gresley coaches) but will progress to the Farish stock soon (I found fitting the Dapol couplers to Farish tricky as the Farish NEM socket appears a bit tight to slot the couplers into).

Regarding the #4 points, I found that some of the Farish locomotives problematical but a small change to the wheel back-to-back solved the problem.

Best Regards,
Andy Hoskins
Falkirk
Best Regards,
Andy

Richey1977

I'm also a bit wary about points - I've also had some tribulations with getting them to work well, but I've taken the view that I should persevere and get it right.  Like yourself, I do really like scenery more than railway functions, so I've restricted my layout to 5 sets of points.

When my layout is at a more developed stage, I'm thinking of making a pointless layout for my Graham Farish 'Depot Master' train set, which I got cheap on eBay last month.  My plan is to restrict the layout to what's in the box, adding no more than a couple more track sections, and spend the time on the scenery.  With time and effort, it will be great looking micro-layout (I hope!).

I actually quite like the idea of laying down a challenge for others - get a starter's train set, and give it the scenic treatment as best you can.

PostModN66

Quote from: Richey1977 on January 27, 2014, 01:25:18 PM
I actually quite like the idea of laying down a challenge for others - get a starter's train set, and give it the scenic treatment as best you can.

That's a great idea!  Either to build one, or just to do a design.

For my information - do any train sets come with points?   Just an oval seems extremely minimalist!

Cheers

Jon   :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Richey1977

The Farish ones don't.  Hornby's OO Gauge sets often do, even if the set consists of a 4-coach passenger train and a siding that's the length of one coach.  I never quite understood that...

I like minimalist, anyway.  I started out with the intention of a simple circuit, but I got side-tracked into a station loop and a goods siding.  My next layout will be all scenery.  A working diorama, if you like.

Geoff

Quote from: PostModN66 on January 27, 2014, 01:29:42 PM
Quote from: Richey1977 on January 27, 2014, 01:25:18 PM

That's a great idea!  Either to build one, or just to do a design.

For my information - do any train sets come with points?   Just an oval seems extremely minimalist!

Cheers

Jon   :)

If you go for the Kato M2 that comes with a passing loop then just add your own trains.
Geoff

PostModN66

Quote from: Geoff on January 27, 2014, 02:44:58 PM
If you go for the Kato M2 that comes with a passing loop then just add your own trains.

Just looked up an M2, licking lips when anticipating a design challenge; its 6' 10" long   :goggleeyes: according to the MG Sharp website - a bit big for a micro-layout!!!!

Cheers  Jon   :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Richey1977

Much too big!

I'm pushed for space at home, so I was thinking 3'x2', which is what I originally told the missus I was going to go with.

Fortunately, she doesn't really get imperial measurements, so my 3' became 4'9" without an awkward conversation.

Geoff

Quote from: Richey1977 on January 27, 2014, 03:50:19 PM
Much too big!

I'm pushed for space at home, so I was thinking 3'x2', which is what I originally told the missus I was going to go with.

Fortunately, she doesn't really get imperial measurements, so my 3' became 4'9" without an awkward conversation.

Well I started off with a 4 x 2 and ended up with a 6 x 3, could do with the extra room to make it much bigger.

One needs to live in Australia or the USA they are  born with plenty of room.
Geoff

Richey1977

I like the challenge of constraints. Without limits on space, money, time etc, we can all do great things. I'd like to create something that looks a million dollars, and can be stowed in a tiny place.

I should probably be thinking about dioramas than working layouts, but there you go.

Guy

I have been collecting Kato track and points for a while now getting ready for a new layout which will be Kato based. I admit I am really impressed with it and although much has been written about number 4 points, I will be using a fair few (30-40). My view is that they are a major move forward comparative to the current points I have on my layout as is.

Kipper

Probably an obvious question, but I assume Kato (US) locos will run happily over number 4 points?

silverfox

Is there a definitive dimension for a micro layout?

My proposed Kato end to end that started the thread is likely to have a scenic part around 3'6" long by 16" deep with a fiddle yard at one end giving a total length around 6' (the limit to what I can cart around in my Mini!), this will seem positively sprawling for me as my recent builds have been around 18 x 12"! then you can just hang em on the wall like a picture!!

I guess it's very easy to to take in a tiny layout in one look but if it's packed with detail and can capture the viewers interest surely that must offset to some extent what it lacks in dynamic operation?

Oh blimey........... am I trying to talk myself out of all these turnouts already?!! :worried:

Regards

Jason

PostModN66

Quote from: silverfox on January 27, 2014, 10:11:47 PM
Is there a definitive dimension for a micro layout?

The definition I have come across is 4 sq ft - regardless of scale.  I think this may come from Karl Arendt - by the way, if you haven't googled him it's worth it.

Cheers  Jon   :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations