Trying to track down a transporter.....

Started by Skyline2uk, February 25, 2013, 10:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyline2uk

Hello all,

I have been trying to find a suitable model to use as an oversize transporter lorry, so I could model a locomotive being carried on one.

I have Googled and eBay searched but never found something suitable. I then did some lateral thinking and tracked down the layout where I saw one (and no, didn't think to ask the owner  :doh:). It was at the 2011 Bristol Model Railway Show and it was "Coniston Road Depot". Googled that and found and image.....on this lovely forum by our very own nobby :D

So, does anybody know where I could get one of the lorries shown in the bottom left of this...

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j454/nobbynewport/blackburn%20mrs%201st%20September%202012/blackburnmrs1912008.jpg

....picture, please let me know!

Cheers

Skyline2uk

Jerry Howlett

I recall seeing something similar in an old NGS Journal, it had been constructed by one of our friends from down under.
Perhaps they are a member of this forum. Have to wait till they wake up...
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Northern Git

Hi just read your thread and Coniston Road Depot is my layout.

The loco transporter at the front of the layout is scratch built by me with a Tomix artic unit on the front of it suitable detailed.

Hope that answers your question, if I can help with anything let me know.

AndyGif

this type of trailer is on my to do list too....
i think i cornered the market in the last sets of dornaplas lorry wheels,
downloaded umpteen pictures of low loaders with various heavy, odd shapped and railway related items on them.
Failed to find an appropriate tractor unit so far, looking for a 4 axle, though a 3 axle might do, could always use my PG models Scammel commander.
sworn at Oxford diecast more than once for making 1/2 a dozen or so of ones that arent 1:148 scale, but that other minority scale of OO/HO/1:72/1:76....

tadpole

They're usually at the country end of Platform 5 at Readi....  Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you said "trainspotter".
Two rails good. Three better.

Geoff

Just been to my local haunts and there seems to be a shortage of low loaders in n gauge, I hope you find what you are looking for.
Geoff

RobinW

Quote from: Northern Git on February 26, 2013, 12:42:10 PM
Hi just read your thread and Coniston Road Depot is my layout.

The loco transporter at the front of the layout is scratch built by me with a Tomix artic unit on the front of it suitable detailed.

Hope that answers your question, if I can help with anything let me know.

Hi there, any chance of some close up photos? Please

Northern Git

Will, see what I can sort out Layout in storage at the minute.
Not out again until later in the year.

RobinW

Quote from: Northern Git on February 26, 2013, 04:47:11 PM
Will, see what I can sort out Layout in storage at the minute.
Not out again until later in the year.

Super, thx v much

Skyline2uk

QuoteHi just read your thread and Coniston Road Depot is my layout.

Thanks very much NG, I was beginning to wonder if it was hand-made.  I think I will echo the request of RobinW and ask for some more pictures (when the layout is out again of course).

Just for the record, and not just because you have answered me, Coniston Road Depot was buy far my favorite layout at Bristol 2011. I took many pictures on my phone, including one of the transporter with a Purple Deltic on it (but phone camera isn't great and I wasn't that close). Alas, I neither remembered to take a picture of the layout name nor ask your good self about the model when I was there  :doh:

QuoteThey're usually at the country end of Platform 5 at Readi....  Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you said "trainspotter".

:no: Coat for tadpole please  :P ::) :P

Northern Git

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay here are some pictures of the transporter. Hope they are ok!

As previously stated it is scratch built. Let me know what you think.

Jerry Howlett

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Belated

Don't have a picture of a model but I do have some shots of Evening Star being loaded onto a low loader at Shildon for transport south.  Tender had already gone.

John
John

steam-driven boy

Hi,
Super modelling by NG, some time in the future I'd like to take a swing at one of those myself - will be trying to approximate the removal of the Great Western 2885 from Moor Street Station at the beginning of this month...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulfuller128/8936898558/#
Before anyone is tempted at yet another 'go' at Dapol, both of my 28's are running very nicely indeed on the rolling road   :smiley-laughing:

Regards, Gerry  8)
...being a bear of very little brain...

scotsoft

Quote from: Northern Git on June 27, 2013, 12:44:48 AM
Hi Everyone,
Sorry for the delay here are some pictures of the transporter. Hope they are ok!
As previously stated it is scratch built. Let me know what you think.

Your pictures are fine and so is the model.
Not something I would fancy driving due to its length but it looks the business  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations