Mechanical Semaphores?

Started by chrispix, June 18, 2019, 04:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrispix

I was looking for brands of semaphores for the UK. I see that dapol makes some, and Ratio (unpainted). I am not sure if the ratio ones are mechanical/lit (guessing for the price, answer is no). Also, what about disk signals?

I would just go with Dapol, but I want more options where I can stack a home & distant signal on a single mast. Or move them to a gantry over the rails..

I see some japanese/german/american but the arms are all not prototypical UK. (unfortunately living in the states, I can't just go to a local train shop and ask).

edwin_m

All the signals most people would ever want are here in kit form: http://www.modelsignals.com/

Never tried but I imagine they are pretty fiddly to put together especially if intnended to be working!  I don't think they have a lit option but the light on a semaphore is pretty much invisible in daylight even if it's lit at all.  The Dapol ones are much too bright. 

elmo

I have always used the ratio signals along with their lever kits.

Elmo

chrism

I've used the Langley whitemetal kits because, with a little modification (or lots in one caes) they closest resembled the real signals at Coniston.

I'm shortly to start experimenting with getting them to flap down and up using some little 4mm travel solenoids off the Bay of E and an assortment of bits of brass tube, rod and wire. It could be a bit tricky though because they are small and fiddly and I've got all my fingers crossed so I could have trouble gripping things properly  :D

willike1958

Hi Chrispix,
I use a combination of MSE signal arm and ratio signal posts, among with plasticard bits and bats for more complicated signals. You can see the fruits of my labour at: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=10285.msg106134#msg106134
Kevin

crewearpley40

Good luck with that project chris on coniston. Im having thoughts too over signals but nothing to report yet

chrispix

thanks.. will check out the options..

Chris Morris

I use Dapol for the single signals and made my own bracket signals. Basically using brass tube and Ratio signal arms. They are powered by servos controlled by the Peco smartswitch. They have now done three days at exhibition without a glitch. It just takes a little thought and patience to make them. I didn't fit lights and have switched the lights off on the Dapol signals because in real life you can't see the light in the daytime. I'm told the lamps were normally only filled with oil once a week so they must have been on a pretty low wick.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Bealman

I would second NewportNobby's suggestion. Awesome signals!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Delboy

Quote from: Bealman on June 18, 2019, 10:36:31 PM
I would second NewportNobby's suggestion. Awesome signals!  :thumbsup:

The link below shows you my GWR lower quadrant signal in action with a servo controller/tester.
I am currently working on a round post upper quadrant version, working on the same principle.

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=44444.msg572980#msg572980
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Chris Morris

Delboy

Hi Chris,
The link just seems to take you to the opening page of the Facebook N Gauge Section.
Can't see your signals.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Chris Morris

Thought it might. Sorry about that. As it's a video i can't post it here.

CarriageShed

I'm dreading getting to the semaphore signalling stage of my layout build. Working semaphores on a removable upper level using wire-in-tube could be a complex development.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations