Cameo's on layouts

Started by Pete Mc, May 29, 2012, 03:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustermark

Quote from: newportnobby on May 29, 2012, 09:55:07 PM
I'm all for cameos if they are well done. To me, a great and clever example is this one from the North of England Line.

Have to agree with that Nobby. 

The Abbey Rd one is a good one.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Dock Shunter

Quote from: newportnobby on May 29, 2012, 10:22:08 PM
Quote from: Dock Shunter on May 29, 2012, 10:19:56 PM

Jesus and 3 of his Disciples crossing the road.........now that is original........ ;)  :thumbsup:

John Lennon did say they were more popular............ :-X

True.......

I don't think a cameo of people burning Beatles records would be good though..... :-X

dr deltic

just know that right now someone somewhere will be 3D printing an n gauge dalek :smiley-laughing:

tgv_obsessed

Quote from: dr deltic on May 29, 2012, 10:53:55 PM
just know that right now someone somewhere will be 3D printing an n gauge dalek :smiley-laughing:

and placed next to a staircase to fox it no doubt!
running in is so you get used to the noise, oops, to bed the gears down properly

Sprintex

I can see why certain cameos would start to get annoying to some, the road accident with a plethora of blue flashing lights really has been done to death it seems. But then if people want it on their layout that's their business  ;)

I don't have any permanent cameos in mind for my layout, however I have a large gravel car-park that will be practically empty most of the time but leaves the opportunity for the odd cameo if I feel like it. Occasionally it might see an impromptu car enthusiasts meet, another idea is a scene with BBC vans everywhere filming an episode of the favourite TV programme in our house - "Spender". Making a generic N gauge figure look convincingly like Jimmy Nail might prove a challenge though!  ;D (No comments about melting the face please  ;) ). Might be corny but hey, we're only playing trains after all  :)

Regarding corny names I invented mine to fit the other passion in our house, namely Ford cars. So that's why the first part of the layout name is "Hasford" (which is short for "Helen and Sophia the Fords - mine and the misses cars that were the reason we met!), the branch line goes off to "Great Cosseworth" (Cosworth), and the main town offscene where passengers can connect with Intercity services is "Exarton" (XR-town)  ;)

Paul

weave

Hi all,

Read the whole thread this morn and the whole 'dr. who' thing made me smile.

Was working (on my own) so mind wanders and was trying to think what, if any cameos I might do in the future. I have a french/spanish border layout so thought maybe some sort of regional independence demonstration as they love that sort of thing. Flags, banners , drums etc.

No bulls!!!

Then saw a small tin of 3-in-1 oil and thought that the lid looked a bit like a dalek. Its 1 cm high so not too much taller than a human, has a rounded top, tapered body and thought would be a good base for a scratchbuild if anyone is serious on this subject :)

Might have a go myself for a laugh as me (and the spanish) have run out of money!  :wave:

Cheers Weave.

weave

Just read message back and really meant 'no bulls' not 'no bulls!!!' if you know what I mean!  :thumbsup:

Oldman

One idea I had was to have BT or whatever they were called working on telegraph poles but have not yet found any suitable figures for working up the poles.
Oxford Diecast van and landrover would be used as road vehicles.
Don't want to go the hole in the road route.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Newportnobby

Quote from: Oldman on June 01, 2012, 09:24:27 PM
One idea I had was to have BT or whatever they were called working on telegraph poles but have not yet found any suitable figures for working up the poles.
Oxford Diecast van and landrover would be used as road vehicles.
Don't want to go the hole in the road route.

Don't forget to put an N gauge Busby on the line :smiley-laughing:

Oldman

Quote from: newportnobby on June 01, 2012, 09:47:40 PM

Don't forget to put an N gauge Busby on the line :smiley-laughing:

Had forgotten about that  ;D :smiley-laughing:
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Sprintex

Quote from: Oldman on June 01, 2012, 09:24:27 PM... BT or whatever they were called

1912-1969 General Post Office - green vehicles with white PO branding

1969-1980 Post Office Telecommunications - yellow vehicles with red PO branding

1980-1982 British Telecom - yellow vehicles with blue 'T' logo and 'British Telecom' lettering (still part of GPO)

1982-1991 British Telecom - yellow vehicles with blue 'T' logo and 'British Telecom' lettering (privatised)

1991-2003 BT - grey vehicles with 'Pan' logo

2003-2006 BT - white vehicles with World logo

2006-2012 BT Openreach - white vehicles with World logo and coloured lines

Think that covers it  :thumbsup:

Paul

Matthew-peter

Not really a cameo (I dont think) but is fun if noticed  ::)

Not weathered yet like the wagons, and in all honesty out of my era but was meant for a previous layout attempt haha
OK who took my cake?

Newportnobby

Not sure I'd want to meet him on a dark night in downtown Leyland :o

4x2

I love the whole 'cameo' thing, but i agree that some scenes have been done to death !

An idea i came up with for my American layout, was to have a couple of scenes from famous hollywood films.
I'm sure most people could easily spot a Terminator or The Mask, Spiderman etc....
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

OwL

I saw a British 80's era 00 layout at a show recently that features James Bond and different James Bond vehicles.
Very good as they did not spoil or dominate the layout. They had to be 'spotted'

Cameos can prove to be very good if done right. :thumbsup:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations