The Next R-T-R Complete Train ?

Started by joe cassidy, December 07, 2014, 06:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karhedron

Quote from: SD35 on December 07, 2014, 10:09:17 PM
Following the same idea, something like a City of Truro with a handful of coaches would probably be a candidate.

Now you're talking!  :thumbsup:

It baffles me that Bachmann still have not shrunk CoT to N gauge, especially as they have a corless motor mechanism small enough to power the Ivatt 2MT, the City should not pose any problems.

Some Toplight coaches to go with it would be perfect. If that is being too optimistic then maybe a set of coaches to suit its operation when it returned to service in the 1950s? It often ran railtours with just 6 or 7 coaches. Failing that, it used to handle 3-4 coach trains in regular service on the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton line.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

talisman56

Quote from: Atso on December 07, 2014, 07:36:07 PM
Quote from: joe cassidy on December 07, 2014, 07:24:36 PMThey said that about the Blue Pullman !

The Blue Pullman managed 13 years in service though. The Coronation Scot was active between 1937 and 1939, the (LNER) Coronation was about the same with the Silver Jubilee set being in service between 1935(ish) and 1939. The war stopped all of these expresses and in the LNER's case these formations were never reused (although stock was cascaded down into regular service formations). The same thing happened with the LNER's tourist stock so I would assume (although don't quote me on this) that the set thing happened with the LMS set... A two to three year service period may well be too short a time scale for N gauge manufactures, although this does seem to be changing in OO so you never know...

Yet that is exactly what Hornby/Arnold have done with the Umber/Cream 'Brighton Belle', unit number 2051; only ran in this form between 29th June 1934 and January 1937, just 2.5 years, and the Blue/Grey version, unit 3053; only ran in this form between May 1969 and 30th April 1972, just under 3 years...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Steven B

An iconic steam era complete train in a box? Easy:
L&MR 0-4-0 Lion, well wagon with coach body load and a toad brake van.

Or perhaps a Terrier, well wagon loaded with a bull nose Morris Oxford and a brake van?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

kesdrive

I would like BR (M) push pull coaches to go with the Ivatt 2-6-2T push pull loco produced by Dapol.
A loco and 2 coaches would make a neat reasonably priced set.

Chris

ohlavache

I would definitely opt for a Night Ferry set !  :laugh3:  :heart2:

For steam lovers, an SR 4-4-0 class L1 ; for electric fans, a class 71.
Then a bunch of CIWL type F sleeping cars.
And an SR guard's van + an SNCF fourgon type Nord.

It would be wonderful, marvellous...

Dylan Cole

Quote from: Kesdrive on December 08, 2014, 10:05:22 PM
I would like BR (M) push pull coaches to go with the Ivatt 2-6-2T push pull loco produced by Dapol.

Chris

I agree we need some LMS/BR style push pull coaches to go with the Dapol produced Ivatt 2-6-2T push pull loco.

Roy L S

Quote from: Dylan Cole on December 15, 2014, 07:41:11 PM
Quote from: Kesdrive on December 08, 2014, 10:05:22 PM

Chris

I agree we need some LMS/BR style push pull coaches to go with the Dapol produced Ivatt 2-6-2T push pull loco.

Agreed, these would be a very good choice as a boxed set and there would potentially be other locos the coaches could be used with too.

Roy

joe cassidy

Going back to the original post, I'm sorry but an Ivatt tank with 2 coaches has zero "Wow" factor and is not going to get the Rule 1 punters opening their wallets like they did for the Blue Pullman and the Brighton Belle.

I still contend that a streamlined LMS Coronation with matching coaches would have similar "sex appeal".

I have just been re-reading the article about the annual model making competition in the 4th issue of the 2010 N Gauge Journal. Mr. Graham Lowe won awards for no less than 4 streamlined Coronations. This must be the most popular loco kit Langley ever did.

Take a look at the photo of Alistair Knox's kit-built Coronation Scot train on page 453 of the June 2014 issue of 'Railway Modeller'.

This train is a must for any self-respecting LMS mainline roundy-roundy layout.

Best regards,

Joe

Dorsetmike

Let's face it, only those with huge layouts are able to run express trains with a prototypical formation of 10 or more coaches including catering vehicles. Most of us have to compromise and make do with 5 or 6.

In some cases it doesn't need to be a compromise, choose a scenario where an express from London  splits to more than one destination and model somewhere on the route after the split, I'm only familiar with the Southern, but for example a 12 coach train from Waterloo would split at Bournemouth Central, typically 6 coaches including the catering vehicle would proceed to Bournemouth West, the remaining 6 coaches might split again at Wareham, 2 for Swanage and 4 for Weymouth or with no Wareham split all 6 to Weymouth, the Atlantic coast express would split into even more portions.

You don't have to pick a prototypical location, just employ the split scenario under rule 1, you can make it fit the size of your layout.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

ScottyStitch

Quote from: Dorsetmike on December 15, 2014, 09:10:24 PM
Let's face it, only those with huge layouts are able to run express trains with a prototypical formation of 10 or more coaches including catering vehicles. Most of us have to compromise and make do with 5 or 6.

In some cases it doesn't need to be a compromise, choose a scenario where an express from London  splits to more than one destination and model somewhere on the route after the split, I'm only familiar with the Southern, but for example a 12 coach train from Waterloo would split at Bournemouth Central, typically 6 coaches including the catering vehicle would proceed to Bournemouth West, the remaining 6 coaches might split again at Wareham, 2 for Swanage and 4 for Weymouth or with no Wareham split all 6 to Weymouth, the Atlantic coast express would split into even more portions.

You don't have to pick a prototypical location, just employ the split scenario under rule 1, you can make it fit the size of your layout.

Another example is be the Pullman out of King's Cross to Harrogate & Bradford. The train split at Leeds, and 4 or 5 coaches went to each of the two final destinations.(50s and 60s)

Sprintex

Quote from: joe cassidy on December 15, 2014, 09:07:59 PM
I still contend that a streamlined LMS Coronation with matching coaches would have similar "sex appeal".

That's only because the loco looks more like something you'd find in an Ann Summers shop that needs batteries :D

Paul

Karhedron

Quote from: Sprintex on December 16, 2014, 05:10:24 AM
That's only because the loco looks more like something you'd find in an Ann Summers shop that needs batteries :D

I would have thought the valve gears and couplings would be prone to catching on things.  :ouch:

:P
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

joe cassidy

Quote from: Dorsetmike on December 15, 2014, 09:10:24 PM

That's a very good point Mike. There was a good article about this practice in the December 2013 issue of 'Railway Modeller', pp. 965 - 967.

Best regards,

Joe

Skyline2uk

Seeing as there is a push from many people (lets hope enough!) for Electric traction such as the Pendolino, I wonder if there would be an uptake of a book set of a proper current generation tooling Class 91, MK IVs and DVT?

Could either do a full set or book sets like the Dapol HST (with ALL coaches available separately at time of launch!) with smaller trains to start with?

Just thinking out loud, no idea at all if market is there.

Skyline2uk

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations