The Great Model Railway Challenge

Started by Newportnobby, September 22, 2018, 08:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

I took offense to the comment page in the September issue of RM, by some guy who's a railway historian and apparently on the TV a lot in the UK.

He admitted to not being a railway modeller, but ended with the sage advice of maybe modellers should build a landscape and run the railways through it!  :doh:

Isn't that we do?  >:(
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Sadly not in my case, George :no:
I designed a track plan that gives me exactly what I want to see and operate and now have to try to make it look as if the scenery was there first :-[
I may not be alone :uneasy:

kirky

Quote from: Paul-H on September 23, 2018, 09:29:56 AM
Can't remember it's name now, but there was thst stupid one were they built IIRC a model railway that was claimed to be at the Bluebell railway, which included a secret nuclear reactor and a murdering Doctor, (Train Town) or something like that,  quite an awful program, with an equally awful presenter, on par with the awful Mark Found.
Was it 'model town'?
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Bealman

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 23, 2018, 09:43:31 AM
Sadly not in my case, George :no:
I designed a track plan that gives me exactly what I want to see and operate and now have to try to make it look as if the scenery was there first :-[
I may not be alone :uneasy:

Well that's right. However I think most of us manage it. There's not much point to building scenery then ripping it up to put track through it!

Paul-H

Was it 'model town'?
[/quote]

That's one
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

bridgiesimon

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 22, 2018, 08:53:44 PM
Starts Channel 5 Friday 5th October.
Is this going to be a serious programme or portray us as weirdos with long/no hair and beards with this mornings breakfast in them playing trains (OK - we all play trains and I can't answer for the other bit)?

er, what is wrong with having long hair and a beard?

And yes I do regularly what Breakfast tv while getting ready for work!

Not sure I like your insinuations there!

Simon

Bealman

Here in Australia, I'm not sure we'll see it, but there's probably a way.

I'm thinking maybe we watch the first episode and then  start making comments?

guest373

Reply to Dorsetmike
I do not have a TV either, I watch Channel 5 on my laptop, when there is anything worth watching.

ScottishModeller

Hi all,

If you don't know about it - what is the basis for your comments besmirching the idea/concept/execution of this program.

If you didn't take part - which applies to the majority on here - what right have you to make any comment at all before viewing it?

My response to all of you who have reacted in this way is to tell you to shut up and wait until the program is aired.

At least then you will have something to base any comments on.
Thanks
Phil Holman

bridgiesimon

Well said, I for one (sure there are many more) am really looking forward to it!!

Best wishes
Simon

acko22

Err do i or Don't i watch it.......

Not sure I remember the last one they did (can't remember what it was called) across Scotland anyway.

The modelers doing it were a mixture which you cant really argue with there were some who were annoying (one of the team leaders I would happily have told to go away even if not as polite on day one) and there were people I would have happily mix with.

But the bloke presenting it what a  :censored: he was a patronizing and condescending  :censored: I would happily have put that train up is rear facing tunnel while still steaming!

So do I watch this one.... i will maybe give it a go but if it's similar to the last one then i will swiftly change channel!
So here is hoping!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Dorsetmike

Paul Tyer of Peedie models is in show 2
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

javlinfaw7

Is that Lieutenant Colonel Dick Strawbridge you are referring to?

Philip.

The fact it's on Channel 5 tells you all you need to know  :sleep: :nerner: :D

acko22

Quote from: javlinfaw7 on September 23, 2018, 05:29:04 PM
Is that Lieutenant Colonel Dick Strawbridge you are referring to?

Yep thats the chap!! Amazing how close his name is to my description of him!!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations