BT broadband

Started by Agrippa, January 13, 2013, 06:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe 90

Quote from: Paddy Coleman on January 18, 2013, 08:52:56 AM
Well if she was downloading movies etc. then I would not have an issue.  Anyway, got to the bottom of the problem after analyising the router logs and with help from BT.  My daughters iPad apparently surfs the internet on its own even when not being used (logs showed this).  Solution is to disable WiFi access (option on the iPad) and then the problem goes away.  From what I have been told this is a known "feature" of Apple's iOS 6.

Hope this helps others with similar concerns.

So what on earth is it doing?

What information is it looking for or what is it downloading?

Why does it need to?

Very intriguing.

woodbury22uk

Quote from: Joe 90 on January 18, 2013, 11:09:41 AM
My daughters iPad apparently surfs the internet on its own even when not being used (logs showed this).  Solution is to disable WiFi access (option on the iPad) and then the problem goes away.  From what I have been told this is a known "feature" of Apple's iOS 6.

So what on earth is it doing?

What information is it looking for or what is it downloading?

Why does it need to?

Very intriguing.

Could it be trying to sync with another device? We have iPads and a Kindle Fire here but no sign of increased usage of our download/upload allowances. But they are on manual synchronising.

Mike
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Malc

Quote from: EtchedPixels on January 18, 2013, 10:52:52 AM
Quote from: Paddy Coleman on January 18, 2013, 08:52:56 AMSolution is to disable WiFi access (option on the iPad) and then the problem goes away.  From what I have been told this is a known "feature" of Apple's iOS 6.

I believe a hammer also fixes the problem  :claphappy:

Not quite as subtle as switching off the wifi, but it does indeed fix the problem
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

thebrighton

My daughters iPad apparently surfs the internet on its own even when not being used (logs showed this).  Solution is to disable WiFi access (option on the iPad) and then the problem goes away. 

Same goes for my sons 3DS and Wii. After he connected them wirelessly to my usage went up and the PC slowed down. Only sussed what it was as the Wiis power button stays orange rather than red when 'turned off'. It isn't made obvious but you actually have to set them up to disconnect when not being played with or they stay online (the default is to stay connected). Evidently the Wii is on the lookout for updates.
Gareth

zwilnik

if she's got it set to back up to her iCloud account, it'll be doing just that. Or if she's got PhotoStream on (photos get automatically synced to iCloud). That or it's set to automatically download apps or music purchased on iTunes elsewhere, it'll grab them from the internet whenever it can.

The point is, modern devices are designed around internet access so that you can keep everything in sync and not worry about forgetting to save something. Unfortunately ISPs are still designed around telephone companies trying to make profits off landlines and rotary dial phones.

GrahamB

I've no problem with our Wii or our DS's connecting to the internet but this damn iPod Touch is draining the life out of the broadband - and it's not backing up to the cloud. First and last Apple product I ever buy.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: tim-pelican on January 14, 2013, 08:01:03 PM
Quote from: Zwilnik on January 14, 2013, 06:34:11 PM
Never ever use a BT email address. It's BT/Yahoo still and part of their ethos is to sell on all email addresses to their advertisers, so BT email address get a *lot* more spam.

I think the first part is probably true regardless of who your provider is.  Do you really want to have to change your email address just because you change who supplies your connectivity?

I don't trust anyone who isn't *me* to run my email, but that may just be me...  >:D

I get absolutely no spam at all....and we are all running 3 dongles!!!!
Looked at getting a land line several times...far more expensive than Dongle and mobile package from 3  ;)
Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

I fell out with BT big time a few years ago when I had an intermittent drop out that cleared every time I got an incoming telephone call. You can imagine the scenario every time I phoned tech support  - "I just put a test on the line and it is working correctly."
Took 18 months to convince them there was a fault ... they threatened me with a £70 charge to send an engineer if he found fault on my premises. Took him less than 60 seconds to diagnose a fault in the exchange and less than 10 minutes to get it fixed.

That was about 3 or 4 years ago - switched to Orange (now EE) good rate and unlimited downloads. Had a burst of problems about a year ago which they eventually cleared by changing the router (4 times!).

Now getting drop outs quite frequently, tech support eventually were convinced to the point that they agreed to book out an engineer (without threatening a charge!!!) - then closed the fault down when I declined the first date they offered (I will be out of the country - so will have to start process again when I get back - next day). Coincidentally, the problem seems to have cleared - but someone is asking to be abandoned for abysmal customer service.

tim-pelican

Quote from: 5982 on April 01, 2013, 05:43:36 PM
I fell out with BT big time a few years ago when I had an intermittent drop out that cleared every time I got an incoming telephone call. You can imagine the scenario every time I phoned tech support  - "I just put a test on the line and it is working correctly."

Hehe, been round the loop with that one, with a line so noisy you could barely hear anything!  They kept sending engineers, who did a test from the exchange first, turned up, logged a "no fault", charged me £50, fault back the next day, customer service agreed that they could barely hear me and took the charge off, rinse and repeat.

I never did convince them to come to my house *before* running a line test, and the broadband sat at a solid 14M throughout the process (so only noise in voice frequencies).  One day a replacement pole sprang up at the back of the house while I was at work, and everything was crystal clear from then on.

Agrippa

Past 2 weeks I've had same as previous 2 posts, phone crackling,
sometimes broadband not working, when both ceased had to use my
mobile to contact their help site listening to music as "We are very busy
today". :veryangry: Eventually got through to robot who said "state your
problem", I said line dead , dalek repeated request. Finally through to
someone in the subcontinent who checked the line said it was fine, got
me to disconnect junction box which took ages to find a small crosshead
screwdriver.

Still not sure if line ok, only good point was they phoned me back on
my mobile while this was going on. (icon needed for incandescent).
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations