When Were Station Underpasses First Used?

Started by Artisan, September 18, 2019, 11:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyn

Manningtree and Ardleigh (between Colchester and Ipswich) both had underpasses from opening in 1846.

Manningtree was mainly built on an embankment, so possibly the underpass was a form of 'cut and cover'. Ardleigh, though is on the level.

Liverpool St also had a bridge across the concourse until rebuilding; I think it could have been to allow access to the West Side suburban from the East side road level access (Bishopsgate?), without impeding the end of platform concourse (which wasn't helped by platforms 8+9 for the main line services being much longer than the suburban platforms on each side of them).

martyn

Steven B

Ilkley used to have an underpass between the bay/terminus platforms and the through platform.

Along with the likes of Hebden Bridge & Todmorden (both through stations) the reasoning behind the underpass is because of the surounding geography - the station is built across a slope with access to one side being lower than the other.

Where land was flatter bridges were more common as they were less expensive to build

Newportnobby

Quote from: RailGooner on September 18, 2019, 02:01:01 PM
Quote from: railsquid on September 18, 2019, 01:45:38 PM
Quote from: RailGooner on September 18, 2019, 01:02:03 PM
:hmmm: If a Terminus, why the need for either footbridge or underpass? :confused2:

Indeed, I was wondering that as well, normally there wouldn't be much need to change platform at a terminus.

And where there is a need, one could just walk toward the station building where one can access any platform - as I've done when changing trains/platforms at Marylebone, Victoria, and Paddington.

That assumes there is a concours across the end of all the platforms whereas there may be no room to model that. The station building may be at one side with underpass access to the platforms :hmmm:

kardkits

Gainsborough Central (originally a terminus) built in 1849 had an underpass to get to the station from the road and also had a footbridge to get to the other platform

edwin_m

Paddington and Manchester Piccadilly are two examples that are mostly termini but have a couple of through platforms alongside the "far" end of the terminating platforms, so the footbridges are mainly a shortcut so people don't have to walk all the way to the buffer stops and then back on a different platform (and the platform on the far side of the through tracks would need a bridge or underpass anyway).  I can't think of any that have a subway for the same purpose but I don't see any reason it couldn't have happened. 

The Eurostar platforms at St Pancras are a terminus with an underpass, or strictly speaking all the station facilities are at ground level underneath the tracks because there wasn't enough room at the elevated platform level.  All three sets of elevated platforms also have staff/servicing access to facilities underneath. 

At Gare du Nord you exit the Eurostar normally past the buffer stops but entry to the platforms is from an elevated "lounge".  Kings Cross is now a similar configuration although you can enter by either route.  Previously it had a footbridge which I think was to provide a route between main and suburban platforms but as all trains departed in the same direction there wasn't much need to use it. 

guest311

Haywards Heath and Hassocks on the Brighton line.

njee20

We seem to have some people just preferring stations which have an underpass, which isn't the question! There are hundreds of examples, from small 2 platform stations to massive termini.

I agree with Rail Gooner, I'd you're seeking prototype fidelity then I'd consider not just the timeline, but why would there be an underpass, given their relative complexity? If it's got 10+ platforms I can understand, but if it's a modest 3 platform BLT then I'd say it's entirely superfluous. 

joe cassidy

I believe there were plenty of small stations in Scotland with an island platform where the only access to the platform was via an underpass.

Probably the same for Lichfield City or Hellifield ?

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations