Storm Dennis A380 Landing!

Started by Mr Sprue, February 16, 2020, 09:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjaybee

On the plane subject, I've often wondered why they don't use steerable main gear like they've got on B52 bombers. It allows the bomber to come in nose into the prevailing wind, sideslipping in the runway direction, whilst the gear is lined up with the runway. So the B52 basically lands at an angle, then straightens up once it's safely down.

https://youtu.be/TCUHQ_-l6Qg

It's a brilliant solution.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Skyline2uk

Some civil aircraft (A380 included) have some form of steering on the "main" gear, but it's the axels that's steer rather than the entire gear swivelling like on the B52.

Main reason for differences will be weight (both of the gear itself and the overall aircraft).

Max landing weights on A380s can be around 600 tons (rare, tested for emergency situations) so the gear must be very robust. There are actually 4 sets of "main" gear (two body, to wing mounted) on the Superjumbo and getting those to swivel would be, erm, interesting....

Skyline2uk

Newportnobby

Quote from: chrism on February 16, 2020, 08:39:11 PM
Not a plane this time, but another hairy arrival expertly executed;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-51522580

Holy Moly! :goggleeyes:
That reminds me of so many IoM Steam Racket ferry trips to the TT. Many times they had to crane bikes off (and many times they dropped them!)

Young Bulla

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 17, 2020, 10:55:16 AM
Quote from: chrism on February 16, 2020, 08:39:11 PM
Not a plane this time, but another hairy arrival expertly executed;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-51522580

Holy Moly! :goggleeyes:
That reminds me of so many IoM Steam Racket ferry trips to the TT. Many times they had to crane bikes off (and many times they dropped them!)
Back in the early seventies my parents car was craned on to one of the old passenger ferries due to impending strike action, only problem was they hadn't paid the fare for my sister, just hid her under a blanket in the back, so she and the Morris 1100 she was in got an impromptu view across the bay!
She's never been back since.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

red_death

A mate of was on an A380 during Storm Ciara which aborted at Heathrow at pretty much the last minute - there's footage somewhere on YouTube and it looks terrifying!

Skyline2uk

Quote from: red_death on February 18, 2020, 10:38:37 AM
A mate of was on an A380 during Storm Ciara which aborted at Heathrow at pretty much the last minute - there's footage somewhere on YouTube and it looks terrifying!

Who was he flying with? Some of the flights that originated in Dubai that day ended up very diverted indeed (Germany and Spain for example), only the "lucky" ones ended up in Manchester.

Skyline2uk

red_death

Quote from: Skyline2uk on February 18, 2020, 10:45:18 AM
Who was he flying with? Some of the flights that originated in Dubai that day ended up very diverted indeed (Germany and Spain for example), only the "lucky" ones ended up in Manchester.

Skyline2uk

Qatar IIRC and got diverted to Manchester.  Here's the link:
https://youtu.be/Gln7T-xxE4k?t=11699

Cheers Mike

B757-236GT

I agree its impressive but the A380 handles it very well despite it size and weight. Knowing the point at which he touched down he was well in for length available and I suspect his speed in relation to ground was also quite low which probably helped and even when at MLW it will pull pretty quickly even with just twin reverse thrust. Just check out the EK ones landing at BHX or HAM and then you will see regular strong crosswind performance. In fact occasionally the middle east carriers their TOW is the less than MLW such is the relative short distance they cover. Certainly under testing with a proportional load it will pull up in the same distance as an A320.

I personally felt sorry for 737NG pilots as they are a high speed landing plane (in comparison to others) and aren't the best at pulling up once on the ground either thanks to "having the aerodynamic properties of a brick" (quoted from a Ryanair pilot) who flies into Bristol.

They is video of a Qatar one going round and looking at his placement he was going to struggle if he carried on so would it have been that one. Thats followed by a United B777 which actually looks spot on but decides to go around which to me shows good CRM as the pilot was not a 100% happy so broke it off and id much rather have a pilot do that than get fixated on landing in a particular place.
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

chrism

Quote from: B757-236GT on February 18, 2020, 12:52:24 PM
Thats followed by a United B777 which actually looks spot on but decides to go around which to me shows good CRM as the pilot was not a 100% happy so broke it off and id much rather have a pilot do that than get fixated on landing in a particular place.

Like they say, the sign of a good pilot is one with the same number of takeoffs as landings - especially when after the latter the plane can be used again  :D

Bob Tidbury

So DessertHound was it you in that plane if so don't be modest that was an amazing landing ,if it wasn't you we all think that the pilot deserves everyone's thanks so pass on all our thanks to him or her .
Bob Tidbury

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on February 18, 2020, 06:58:28 PM
So DessertHound was it you in that plane if so don't be modest that was an amazing landing ,if it wasn't you we all think that the pilot deserves everyone's thanks so pass on all our thanks to him or her .
Bob Tidbury

He's the skipper of an Emirates A380 Bob!  ;)

Bob Tidbury

Mr Sprue yes I know I met him at T I N G S and followed him taking off from Heathrow and then land at Perth .
I watch Flightradar24 on my IPad sometimes .
Bob Tidbury

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on February 18, 2020, 08:17:59 PM
Mr Sprue yes I know I met him at T I N G S and followed him taking off from Heathrow and then land at Perth .
I watch Flightradar24 on my IPad sometimes .
Bob Tidbury

That video I posted was of an Etihad Bob .....But this take off may have been our man at the controls!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations