Dapol Announcement- 18/7/12 0900 BST

Started by scruff, July 15, 2012, 09:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew-peter

Starter sets from dapol??????? May invest in one of their DCC ones, although neither are of much interest really, which is a shame, but for the controller may be worth it.

Also the 142 looks like it could be a great catch. still haha. (i know its a hard thing to like)

and £199 for an 08????  :o
OK who took my cake?

tim-pelican

Quote from: Wayne Kinney on July 18, 2012, 11:05:33 AM
Oh man, I love the new 0-6-0 Pannier Tank! Must pre order!!!

And with a DCC socket!  An 0-6-0 shunter that I don't need to solder things to - it *shall* be mine :)

Now then Messrs Bachmann and Farish, why don't your latest Gronks do that?

red_death

Quote from: Matthew-peter on July 18, 2012, 01:53:25 PM

For a 7mm 08, which is a magnitude cheaper than most 7mm RTR or kits! By the time it is discounted by the box shifters expect it to be £160-170.

Matthew-peter

Quote from: red_death on July 18, 2012, 02:08:19 PM
Quote from: Matthew-peter on July 18, 2012, 01:53:25 PM

For a 7mm 08, which is a magnitude cheaper than most 7mm RTR or kits! By the time it is discounted by the box shifters expect it to be £160-170.

Ahh I see, Plus if its dcc ready ( i do believe it is) than it shouldnt be too bad, may even end up with one meself  :smiley-laughing:
OK who took my cake?

Portpatrick

OK I am not a modeller of the Southern/Western scemnes, but this lot is clearly wonderful, and expensive, news for them.  Dapol have been imaginative in going for those.  And I am pleased there are some happy people around.  I will ensure my Southern inclined club treasurer has a full wallet.

As a Scottish modeller I will major on the already announced 27.  I only replaced my ancient Minitrix with a Heritage resin kit 3 years ago!  And turned a G/F 33 into a 26.

scruff

The Fruit D and Grampus wagons missed the press release..

More good news!

Mark

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Pendy on July 18, 2012, 01:02:21 PM
With proposals for running modified 140mph Pendolinos on the East Coast line, hopefully someone will produce one - all we can do is keep nudging the manufacturers, it was top of our N Gauge EMU poll results and I'd buy one (even though I have kept my OO Pendolino and an oval of Kato HO track)

You'll just have to scratch build one - thats a sure way of making an RTR model appear
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Mustermark

Quote from: EtchedPixels on July 18, 2012, 02:51:29 PM
With proposals for running modified 140mph Pendolinos on the East Coast line, hopefully someone will produce one - all we can do is keep nudging the manufacturers, it was top of our N Gauge EMU poll results and I'd buy one (even though I have kept my OO Pendolino and an oval of Kato HO track)

You'll just have to scratch build one - thats a sure way of making an RTR model appear

:smiley-laughing: :-X

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Mr.Grumpy

Quote from: EtchedPixels on July 18, 2012, 02:51:29 PM

I'm actually pretty good at 3D modelling and I saw this today which made printing with a home 3D printing setup seem more viable. When I get one (not if, when) I would definitely be willing to give it a go.  The result would be lacking finer details but I guess they could be added in.  One thing I have no idea of is how to design for a specific scale or chassis so any links you 3D printer interested people have would be more than welcome here.

I think that designing the shells and submitting to shapeways could be a false economy in the long run if I want to save for a 3D printer.
N Gauge Dystopian Future: Planning | Construction

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Mr.Grumpy on July 18, 2012, 02:59:02 PM
I'm actually pretty good at 3D modelling and I saw this today which made printing with a home 3D printing setup seem more viable. When I get one (not if, when) I would definitely be willing to give it a go.  The result would be lacking finer details but I guess they could be added in.  One thing I have no idea of is how to design for a specific scale or chassis so any links you 3D printer interested people have would be more than welcome here.

Depends on the tools being used, but if its one that works in abstract units like Blender then the usual approach is to work on the basis that 1 blender unit = 1mm and then 2mm = 1ft (1:152). You can see at this point why fine scale modellers use sensible ratios rather than 1:148 !

For N its 103% of the size  but the same theory applies.

You can design to prototype dimensions but they you need to scale up things like wall thicknesses so they are 148mm thick etc for 1mm in the model.

The other big difference to 3D models for games etc is that they need to be properly manifold and complete. You can't just omit bits you can't see or have things with no  inside when actually printing them.

I've seen a few ways to smooth fused deposition prints, one of the most insane used by some of the arty folks is to done appropriate protective breathing gear and airbrush the ABS print with acetone ! You can get jewellry stone polishers which for the most part are too harsh but you can load them with soft plastic pellets which for stones are used for the final surface polish up.

PLA is the one that's a pain for this - its a great printing material but its co-efficient of friction is so high that it simply melts onto sandpaper as you scrape it. In that case things like dipping it in pva/water/washing up liquid mix are about the best you can do.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Karhedron

Quote from: EtchedPixels on July 18, 2012, 03:10:19 PM
You can get jewellry stone polishers which for the most part are too harsh but you can load them with soft plastic pellets which for stones are used for the final surface polish up.
I have one of those but I would not put any kind of hollow object in there. It might work well for a solid printed object but if you put anything like a bodyshell though it you would end up with a lot of small bits.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Karhedron

Quote from: Portpatrick on July 18, 2012, 02:22:25 PM
OK I am not a modeller of the Southern/Western scemnes, but this lot is clearly wonderful, and expensive, news for them.  Dapol have been imaginative in going for those.
It makes sense in many ways. Farish are clearly focussing on the LMS prototypes and Dapol have recently given the LNER some love. I think it is a fine balance in that they need to give each group enough releases to build workable layouts without bleeding them dry or neglecting other areas.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Karhedron on July 18, 2012, 03:43:21 PM
Quote from: EtchedPixels on July 18, 2012, 03:10:19 PM
You can get jewellry stone polishers which for the most part are too harsh but you can load them with soft plastic pellets which for stones are used for the final surface polish up.
I have one of those but I would not put any kind of hollow object in there. It might work well for a solid printed object but if you put anything like a bodyshell though it you would end up with a lot of small bits.

I suspect yours doesn't have a speed controller ?

brbluewill

oh happy days bring it on dapol my credit card is ready and waiting ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Where our songs are challenged we shall sing them all the louder!!!!!

H

Quote from: njee20 on July 18, 2012, 12:41:08 PM

I like the idea of a 59, but it's a shame they've not done some JHA or PTA hoppers to go with it.

TPM do a very simple PTA/JTA JUA kit;

and Farish do RTR suitable 2 axle ARC/Hanson hopper wagons which TPM do a detailing kit for.

H.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations