Farish model differences?

Started by Ted, September 01, 2018, 02:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Hi all,

Is there any difference between the blue and yellow box Farish models. Both Chinese made, I believe.

For example, a Class 37 this year might be a 371-###, whereas an earlier one might be  a 37### model number.

Are these identical internals and model (details), or are the later ones better?
Just call me Ted, or Edward... or Ed.

Just not Eddie.

Layout & Updates > Midlands Coal & Freight, Late 1980's

BobB

I'm not sure what vintage 37### models are. All of my Farish models are in the 371-### style of numbering and were all current models when purchased. If the number is 371-###A then the alpha suffix represents a different running number for otherwise the same model and livery. The box colours that I'm used to for Farish are Black and Yellow. Was that just a typo ?

Ted

Ah, I think I've made a schoolboy error.

00 and N share the same model numbers? With 00 having blue boxes and being Bachmann.

Hence my confusion!

So I think I've answered my question in that if I see a blue box, it's no N gauge! :)

Just not Eddie.

msr

Dapol locos now come in blue boxes . . .

railsquid

What might be worth knowing is that broadly speaking there are three generations of many Farish locomotives, including the Class 37:

1) original "Poole" production made in the UK by the original Graham Farish company
2) early "China" production with the original Poole tooling but an improved chassis design
3) the modern version which has been redesigned from scratch, with DCC, directional lighting etc.

Some models never made it past stages 1 or two, and there are still some "second generation" models such as the GWR railcars being produced.

Packaging-wise, original Poole production is easy to distinguish (4-digit product codes and no mention of Bachmann for a start) but it's not so easy to distinguish between 2nd and 3rd generations.

Intercity

Are the 1st Gen farish only in all black boxes?

I usually look for the boxes with the yellow stripe along the bottom, can these be both 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen?

Bob G

Quote from: Intercity on September 01, 2018, 03:39:12 PM
Are the 1st Gen farish only in all black boxes?

I usually look for the boxes with the yellow stripe along the bottom, can these be both 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen?

Looking at my models, the yellow stripe was introduced in about 2010 simply as a rebranding exercise across all of Farish stock.
So yes you can still have 2nd generation models in yellow stripe boxes. It just depends when production of them ceased.
For example, the last runs of the Second Gen class 25/3 had yellow stripe boxes. Probably also the Second Gen Class 31.

HTH
Bob

davidinyork

Quote from: BobB on September 01, 2018, 02:42:22 PM
If the number is 371-###A then the alpha suffix represents a different running number for otherwise the same model and livery.

In theory, but watch out for the exceptions - for example
371-650 - 57301 in Virgin livery
371-650A - 57306 in Virgin livery

These are actually very different models: the first is the Class 57/3 as originally introduced with a flat front. The model has an early circuit board with solder points, and fixed couplings.

The second is the 57/3 in its later form, with a fold-down Dellner coupler in a recess on the front. The model has a 6-pin socket, and NEM couplings.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Ted on September 01, 2018, 02:47:21 PM

00 and N share the same model numbers?

Bachmann 00 stuff has 5 digit numbers e.g 32-123 whereas Bachmann Farish has 6 e.g. 371-123 sometimes with a suffix for a different running number as mentioned by BobB, and in the case of coaches has gone to a D suffix in some cases.

PLD

Actually the very earliest Graham Farish N-gauge models DID come in Blue & Yellow boxes...

At least Panniers, Prairies, GP Tanks and Halls, Mainline and Suburban Coaches and several wagons, though oddly I can't recall ever seeing any diesel locos in this style of packaging.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: PLD on September 01, 2018, 09:31:23 PM
... I can't recall ever seeing any diesel locos in this style of packaging.

Wasn't the 08 the first diesel? That was something like '78 or '79, the same sort of time as the black card boxes came in.   The 47 was definitely in the black box.

Before the blue/yellow boxes some of the early tank locos came in plastic boxes with red inlay I think?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bob G

Only the rubbish can motor version of the Hall and BB were in the early package.  The BB and I think the Hall were also seen in an intermediate Perspex sleeve with black ends. The 08, 47 and 37 were in Black card packaging with a white plastic cradle from the start.

Bob

Bob Tidbury

I have one of the Panier Tank locos in a box with the red velvet covering it still runs but very noisy and throws its rod of now  and  then. And Some od the steam locos did come in a plastic tube with a black sleeve there is a Spam can on my workbench at the moment in that style of packaging it's waiting for me to pluck up courage to sort it out, If I remember it needs a new armature, brushes and springs ,
Bob Tidbury

ntpntpntp

Yeah, my brain is recalling at least one of my old locos was in the tube and black plastic ends. Might have been a GP tank when they first came out with the 3-pole motor.

I remember my spam can in the blue and yellow box, and I can remember running it round my large 8x4 3-track layout but it didn't last long.  Think I still have the motor and maybe the tender somewhere.  The trailing wheels are now under an 009 loco!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Ted

Thanks all, very helpful and interesting. Think I've got it covered now.

Just to be doubly sure, I've ordered the Farish catalogues from 2015, 2016 and 2017.

My theory being everything I see to my tastes in these years should be latest builds.

Just not Eddie.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations