N gauge Forum access slowing down

Started by austinbob, November 03, 2014, 06:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tidbury

I've been trying on and off all day Just sent an Email to Tank to say that  I keep getting message Server Not Responding Tried again and it's working ,what is going on is it because there are too many members , or is it because there are too many posts .Do we need to delete some of the older threads or some of our own P M s I am not well up on this sort of thing but I wish it can be sorted soon I really enjoy the Forum and all the help and tips we get here but it's very anoying when it's not working properly.
Bob

Tank

It's looking likely to being an issue with the forum itself and the way that it's coded. I'm waiting for updates and a possible fix.

Geoff

Would not let me in for 3-4 hours, hope you can sort the code out Tank.
Geoff

Tdm

If Tank you don't get a satisfactory answer to the problems currently being experienced with the Forum, it may be worth while considering swapping to another hosting company.

I don't know much about "SimplePortal", but a number of other Web Forums I use are hosted by "vBulletin" and that seems to handle lots of members and lots of posts quite easily. Don't know what they charge though.

Tank

Thanks TDM.  We changed hosts not so long ago (May?) and although everything was fine at first, the problem did follow us.  So, it is likely to be some problem with SMF (Simple Machines Forum software).  One of their engineers/developers is looking into it for us, so I am reliant on them.

SMF is highly customisable, which is it's attraction.  Something somewhere must be creating a lot of load for the server.

Lawrence

Quote from: Tank on December 05, 2014, 07:12:40 AM
Something somewhere must be creating a lot of load for the server.

Perhaps hosting all the media files is causing issues?

jonclox

Quote from: Lawrence on December 05, 2014, 10:29:55 AM
Quote from: Tank on December 05, 2014, 07:12:40 AM
Something somewhere must be creating a lot of load for the server.

Perhaps hosting all the media files is causing issues?
Those must certainly put a strain on the on the allocated bandwidth that the forum is entitled to.
I know of at least one non railway related board that has had to ban the storage of photos etc and only allows links to Photo.bucket / Utube and the likes.
The cost to them had dropped considerably and much more bandwidth freed up for threads 
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

DesertHound

Ah - I'm posting pics on my advent calendar until Xmas. They are railway related - happy to have them removed after December if it helps. I think it's the videos that are the problem if it's related to data sizes.
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Malc

I wouldn't have thought video or picture storage is the issue, that doesn't really affect the bandwidth used. That is related to users accessing the site. The data sent to your PC as a result in you looking at pages added together for all concurrent users gives the bandwidth. Sometimes I have seen memory leaks in software causing memory and processor overloads which also can cause server issues.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

DesertHound

I thought as much too Malc. Just thought "if" it's anything to do with data then the videos are monstrous. I think it's something at SMF's end. That said, I'm not qualified in IT so I'll leave it to the experts.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Oldun

Don't know if its any help but, the Series 2 Club forum uses -