Flying Scotsman near miss

Started by daffy, April 27, 2019, 06:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

guest311

with the police track record, not much risk of the s**m**g being caught.

as usual, lots of huff and puff by plod, but no action or results.

ain't british policing b****y marvellous ?

Mr Sprue

The bit I cant get my head round is: "Had it hit, it could have damage vital equipment, costing thousands to repair and causing hours of train delays. In the worst case, it could have caused serious injury or death".

The Flying Scotsman isn't exactly built like a boeing 737 is it?  :confused1:

njee20

Quote from: class37025 on April 27, 2019, 07:12:47 PM
with the police track record, not much risk of the s**m**g being caught.

I'm still trying to work out what word you've censored!

It is certainly irresponsible, but I do agree it seems a bit sensationalist. Even the most substantial of drones is pretty unlikely to do any damage whatsoever to a moving train!

crewearpley40

the mast that is positioned to the side of and above the support coach ?um ......telegraph poles ? any other ideas

Mr Sprue

Quote from: njee20 on April 27, 2019, 07:49:29 PM
It is certainly irresponsible, but I do agree it seems a bit sensationalist. Even the most substantial of drones is pretty unlikely to do any damage whatsoever to a moving train!

Especially one that weighs around 100 tons and is made of steel. I really fail to apprehend how something made of plastic carrying a little battery and camera could cause such devastating damage!  :confused1:

daffy

Perhaps the 'vital equipment' referred to belongs to the engine driver who, leaning out of the cab to spy the pesky drone, is struck in a sensitive area by said device when its operator loses sight and control of his craft due to the enveloping cloud of smoke issuing from the Scotsman. This 'serious injury' would cost 'thousands to repair', and lead to 'hours of train delays' while he"s recovering.

Perhaps.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

bridgiesimon

Quote from: crewearpley40 on April 27, 2019, 07:54:57 PM
the mast that is positioned to the side of and above the support coach ?um ......telegraph poles ? any other ideas

Tis the posts for the overhear electric cables, obviously on an electric route for that piccie.

best wishes
Simon

crewearpley40

OHLE - overhead line equipment - okay worth a thought

guest311

"I'm still trying to work out what word you've censored!"

think of that green stuff you find on a pond, or the stuff around the bath, and what you take your shopping home in  :thumbsup:

njee20

Ahhh. Is that rude enough to censor?!  :worried:

Quote from: crewearpley40 on April 27, 2019, 08:31:18 PM

Not between Farnborough and Woking!

Pete @ EGLM

I was watching trains at Didcot one evening last summer and saw a drone fly across all four lines near the east end of the station UNDERNEATH the OHLE.
Needless to say there will be no action taken against these clowns until people get killed.

Pete @ EGLM

bridgiesimon

Quote from: njee20 on April 27, 2019, 10:27:24 PM
Ahhh. Is that rude enough to censor?!  :worried:

Quote from: crewearpley40 on April 27, 2019, 08:31:18 PM

Not between Farnborough and Woking!

Maybe not betwwen those places but defo OHLE in the image used.

best wishes
Simon

crewearpley40

looks like somewhere else but yes its a serious issue that is being taken seriously. just like trespassing onto the railway tracks to gain a photograph.

acko22

Hi All,

Needless to say not a real surprise to me! Some people are idiots and just have no idea of the potential dangers, some people are just too enthusiastic and then finally the worst of the lot just too arrogant to give a rats  :censored:!

Now something that gets me military drone operators including the guys that use the small hand launched ones all have to have a pilots licence to fly them, so why don't they make it mandatory for all of them and well make it a criminal offence to buy / operate one without a licence full stop. You know just like driving a car?
Do some simple lessons and a theory test and off you go so then people can't play the "I didn't know card".

It would soon reduce the issues, I know it won't stop them altogether but if you slap a £1000 fine on people who disregard the laws then they will soon think twice!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations